Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Kay Collins 2007
Court Estate

One of the sons of the Strickland family, driving pigs along Newton Road in the 1950s.
The Town Sign on the A6 road at Avenue Road Junction
Newton Road in the 1950s

Click on a link below, or use the Site Search facility

COURT ESTATE is the top of Bedford Road, the top of Newton Road, Avenue Road & Higham Park. It has close links with Newton Bromswold as the residents went to the village school and church. The name refers to the Manor Court for Rushden which used be held at the Bailiff's Lodge near Avenue Road (previously called Court Avenue) off the A6 road to Bedford. Bencroft Grange is a farmstead at the southern extremity of the town, and it lies alongside Higham Park, an ancient deer park, and is close to the county boundary in Bedford Road, where the tollgate at West Wood once stood.

History & Development Property
Census - see under Rushden Court Estate Sale 1900
Council Plans 1901-1937 Reservoir
Division from Rushden 1948 Strickland's Smallholding
Developments 1950s Phillipson's Directory 1910
Developments Smallholder's Dispute 1918
Water Supply Sale 1923
Drought 1938 Eastfields Farm

Bencroft Grange Farm
Religion Residents & House Names 1935
Methodist - Minutes 1955-1970 Chapman's
Mission Hall Court Stores
Church Hall Newton Road Bungalows
Parishes Divided 1928 'Oakdene' - Mr A Bailey

Commerce 'Rodney Stoke'
Advertising Rushden Lodge
Sales Sanders' Farm

Woodbine Villa Sale 1919
Manor Farm Nursery
School Obituaries Index
School Bus Residents & House Names 1935
Underwood - Birkbeck Wedding 1939
Health & Welfare Groom - Warrington Wedding 1939
Accidents Chapman - Golden Wedding 1941
villages - accidents index Mr A J Holland

Mr Knight - accident 1913
Leisure Osborne Family
Concert Party Productions Mr C A Brown - obituary
Concert Party Gallery Warrington - Mills - Watford
Peter Whelan War Time
Women's Instutute First Aid Post

Home Guard
Memories WVS Group - Toys & Vegetables
Whipsnade Visit 1936 Pte. Walter Bates - 1915
Memories - Wartime & the First Aid Post Trp. Carl Bayes
Court Estate in 1943 Lieut. Percy Hawkins

John Warrington
Valuations Pte. Frank Osborne
1910 Court Estate Valuation Roll of Honour 1918
Sergt. George Wm. Bates
Pte. G. F. Nichols

The top of Newton Road, now beyond the new Rushden eastern by-pass road, was a few farms and small holdings but from its junction with Avenue Road there is now a ribbon development of houses and bungalows stretching back towards the town. Most of the properties on the north side of the road were built in the 1930s, with infilling on the south side between the small holdings over the next 30 years. Occasionally gardens have been detached to form new plots for new buildings.

Avenue Road was just a few small-holdings around 1900 but a large land sale in about 1912 saw plots of around 6 acres sold to other small-holders who kept a few hens, a few sheep, a pig and perhaps a cow and were self-sufficient with fruit and vegetables throughout the two World Wars. Since 1945 these have gradually been divided into smaller plots and new buildings have filled the gaps. In the last 15 years several rather large properties have dwarfed the older buildings and several bungalows have been converted into houses. In Rushden town itself, the trend has been the opposite, with flats and small town houses being the main new builds in the 1990s but now in 2007/8, to get more on the plots, the trend is to erect three storey properties such as "Church View" off John Clark Way, the link road into town from the by-pass.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the previous page
Click here to e-mail us