Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Transcribed by Kay Collins, 2010
Farndish Trade Directories
Farndish Church
Farndish hamlet lies close to Irchester, in Northamptonshire and may be included in some records for that parish, but it actually lies in Bedfordshire and was annexed to Podington for civil purposes in 1884.

All census records are under Bedfordshire.

County Court and sanitary matters were dealt with by the Wellingborough district, in Northamptonshire!

Farndish Church

Craven & Co Commercial Directory 1853
FARNDISH is a small village and parish, 14 miles north-west of Bedford, 5 miles south-west of Higham Ferrers, and 5 miles south-east of Wellingborough. The church, dedicated to St. Michael the Great, is a small stone structure, with tower, and has undergone considerable repairs within the last few years. The living, value £160, is a rectory, in the gift of the Rev. Anthony Chester, and incumbency of the Rev. Augustus Orlebar, M.A. The parish contains 648 acres. James Somes, Esq., is lord of the manor. The population in 1851, was 82.

Kelly’s Directory 1914

Farndish is a small village in the extreme north-west of Bedfordshire, and bordering on Northants a mile and a half north-west from Irchester station on the Midland railway, 14 north-west from Bedford, 4 east from Wellingborough and 5 south-west from Higham Ferrers, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Willey, Sharnbrook petty sessional division, union and county court district of Wellingborough, rural deanery of Felmersham, Bedford archdeaconry and St. Albans diocese. By Local Government Board Order 16,417, dated March 24, 1884, Farndish was annexed to Podington for civil purposes. The church of St. Michael and All Angels is a small building of stone, in the Transitional, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, and a low western tower rising within the nave, and containing 3 bells, dating from the 16th century: the south doorway is a rich example of the Transition Norman style: the stained east window and one other were presented by the late M. W. H. S. Adcock, of this village, and one in the chancel by the Rev. Greville Chester, a former rector: in the chancel is a small brass to John Johnston, rector (ob. 1625), being then nearly 100 years old; and there are also inscriptions to the Clark, Adcock and Alderman families: the church plate includes an ancient chalice: there are 72 sittings. The register dates from the year 1587. The living is a rectory, net yearly value from 130 acres of glebe £120, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. A. J. Wright and held since 1881 by the Rev. Eli Eade, Theol. Assoc. K.C.L. There is a small charity, derived from the gift of Robert Wooding, who, by will, dated 3rd November 1816, gave the interest of £100, originally Navy Five per Cents, since converted into New £3 per Cents, to be distributed to the poor every year before the 29th October. Rev. A. J. Wright is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The land is chiefly arable. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, limestone and ironstone. Pillow lace was formerly made here. The population in 1911 was 46.

The area and rateable value of this parish is included with Podington.

Services

Letters arrive through Wellingborough about 7.45 a.m. & 12.30 p.m. Letter Box cleared at 9.45 a.m. & 7 p.m.; on Sundays at 11.35 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office (by footpath) is at Podington, 1 mile distant; the nearest (by road) is at Irchester, 1½ miles distant.

The children of this place attend the schools at Irchester, Podington & Wollaston.

Residents
Eade Rev. Eli Theol. Assoc. K.C.L. (rector), Rectory
Kemp Walter Robert, Farndish house
Wright Rev. Arthur John, Farndish manor
Commercial
Dunmore Thomas Henry, farmer
Perkins Jabez, farmer
Russell Robert Arthur, cattle dealer

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us