At the opening of a new Independent Wesleyan Chapel at Podington, near Rushden, there was a pleasant interchange of courtesy between the local squire, Mr. R. R. B. Orlebar, a strong Churchman, and the .......
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY
MR JOHN NORMAN
The Stones laid when the church was being built in 1902
A & M GOODING
A E BETTLES
A L NORMAN
A G A NORMAN
F E CLAYSON
P W KNIGHT
Rushden Echo & Argus, 10th August 1934, transcribed by Kay Collins
Wedding After Twelve Years
Spell Broken at Podington Independent Wesleyan Chapel
For twelve years there had been no wedding ceremony at Podington small Independent Wesleyan chapel which consists of two converted thatched cottages. On Saturday afternoon the spell was broken. There was a wedding at last, and the village turned out in force to see the bride arrive.
But even after twelve years Podington supplied neither bride nor bridegroom. They were a couple from WellingboroughMiss Victoria Ann Eden Baxter and Mr. Cyril James Worth who had apparently chosen the village chapel in order to have a "quiet" wedding.
The minister (Rev. J. Sinfield) and the registrar (Mr. Read) also came from Wellingborough, leaving Podington, to furnish only the organist (Mrs. Clement Brown), and the giver of the bride (Mr. Butler, of the Red House). The hymn was "Lead us, Heavenly Father."
The only other wedding at the chapel during its 60 years history was 12 years ago.