Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Transcribed by John Collins, 2014

Brief History of the Village from Kelly's Directory 1910
STRIXTON is a parish and small village consisting of three farm-houses and twelve cottages, 4½ miles south-by-east from Wellingborough, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Higham Ferrers, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Wellingborough, rural deanery of Higham Ferrers (first portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of St. John the Baptist is a small but curious building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a stone bell-cot over the western gable containing one bell; a staircase leading to it is inclosed in the thickness of the south-west angle of the wall: the chancel retains a double piscina and close to it is a small square-headed low side window: there is also a Perpendicular screen; in 1874 the whole edifice, save the west end and south porch, was rebuilt stone by stone on exactly the same plan as the original church, a late specimen of Early English, at a cost of £2,000: a tomb containing the skeleton of a priest, with the usual sacramental vessels, was discovered in the south wall of the chancel when that part of the building was taken down: the church affords 200 sittings. The register dates only from the year 1729; the earlier registers, together with those of Bozeat, were destroyed by fire on the 9th Sept. in that year. The living is a discharged rectory consolidated with the vicarage of Bozeat, joint net yearly value £175, including 120 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Earl Spencer K.G. and held since 1906 by the Rev. Mordaunt Laird Warren, who resides at Bozeat. Earl Spencer K.G., P.C. is lord of the manor and sole land­owner. The soil is of a fertile mixed character; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans; there is much land in pasture. The area is 812 acres; rateable value, £770; the population in 1901 was 66.

Letter Box cleared at 10.15 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. week days; 11.40 a.m. Sundays. Letters through Wellingborough delivered at
7.30 a.m. & 12.30 p.m. week days; 7.30 a.m. Sundays. Wollaston is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1 mile distant.

The children of this place attend the Wollaston school.

Burgess John, Greenfield lodge
Gibbard William Stevens, farmer & grazier
Spokes, Thomas, Greenfield lodge
Gibbard William Stevens, farmer & grazier
Sanders,, W Owen, J.P., farmer

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us