Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Shops - Gallery and Notes

c1930 Express cleaners shop
c1930 far left is a delivery cycle outside the butchery shop,
later Stricklands, at the junction near the old Tollgate house
J O'Dell baker (left) and behind the tree Britchford's greengrocery
The junction of High Street and Northampton Road the baker's is now residential, and Britchford's is Express Dry Cleaners c1970

c1918 Mr Gadd's right a similar view 1930s
c1918 Mr James Henry Gadd's (far right)
hairdresser's tobacconist was established before 1910
and a similar view in the 1930s
note the white topped phone box and street lamp

From the Market Square
Looking towards Rushden from the Market Square

2 & 4 High Street Janet Elizabeth - jeweller
Above: 2-4 High Street in 1972 when it was sold
formerly a gentlemen's hairdressers
The Building is Grade II Listed
The building was renovated and re-thatched about 1980 and
'Janet Elizabeth - Jeweller' opened here

Rushden Echo, 29th July 1921

A Pleasant Sight—The fine display of ladies’ and gents’ Boots and Shoes at Colton’s new retail shop, 66 High-street, Higham Ferrers.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us