|The Carlton cinema, overlooking the Square opened on 18th November 1937. The first film was 'Ramona' starring Don Ameche and Loretta Young. It could seat 504 and had two 'Kalee 8' projectors and a Western Electric sound system. By the 1970's there were films and bingo but the Carlton finally ceased as a cinema in 1977.
Today it is a snooker hall and restaurant called 'Snooks'.