Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Raunds - Education and the National School

The Select Committee on Education of the Poor 1818 reported that there was:
"A School, in which 14 children are taught; the master's salary is 14£ per annum, arising from the rent of land in the parish, producing that sum.
A school on the Madras system, supported by voluntary contributions; and schools for small children, containing together 97 children; and several lace schools, consiting of 70".
The poorer classes have not sufficient means of educating their children, and for want of a Church of England school, have till lately sent them to dissenting schools.

Wellingborough News, 25th March 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

THE NATIONAL EVENING SCHOOL—The examination of this school by H.M. Inspector took place on Friday evening last. On Monday all the evening scholars were entertained to an excellent tea in the National Infant School-room by the master, Mr. Shelmerdine. A pleasant evening followed, with a variety of amusements, relieved at intervals by singing. The proceedings, which were much enjoyed, closed with the National Anthem.

Wellingborough News, 29th April 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS—PRIZE DISTRIBUTION—On Friday afternoon last, the annual distribution of prizes to the scholars in the upper department of these schools, took place in the upper school-room. The prizes consisted of a box of mathematical instruments to all those scholars who had passed the 6th Standard, and beautifully bound books to all those scholars who had passed the 4th and 5th Standards. Large illuminated certificates also accompanied these prizes. Illuminated certificates were also presented to the scholars who had passed the lower Standards, and cards to those who had not passed. Prior to the distribution, the Vicar (Rev. Hugh Bryan) gave an address to the scholars. The prizes were distributed fey Rev. Hugh Bryan, assisted by Mrs. Bryan and Mrs. Lot Arnsby. There were also present—Rev. A. Boodle (Little Addington), Rev. C. F. Porter, Capt. Porter, Mrs. A. Boodle, Mrs. Green, and Mrs. Barnes. Rev. C. F. Porter addressed the scholars after the distribution. Capital book prizes, suitable to their requirements, were also presented to each of the pupil teachers.

Wellingborough News, 20th May 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS—The result of examination of the pupil teachers and monitors of these schools in religious knowledge, comprising the Old and New Testament, Prayer Book and Catechism, by the Diocesan Inspector, is just to hand and is as follows:—Pupil teachers: Eugene K. K. Whitney, first class (with prize); Mary L. Spicer, second class; Geo. Finding, third class; Bertha Finding, third class. Monitors: Elizabeth March, first class (with prize), Rose Spicer second class.

Wellingborough News, 3rd June 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

ENLARGEMENT OF THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS—In furtherance of this object an entertainment was held in the National Infants' School-room on Monday evening last, when the members of the Kettering Church Institute kindly came and gave a performance of Dickens' celebrated breach of promise suit "Bardell v. Pickwick." As might be expected the announcement drew a large as well as a select audience, and the first and second seats were soon at a premium. Rev. H. Bryan presided. The dramatic performance was preceded by a well rendered selection of vocal and instrumental music and recitations.

The following was the programme:—Pianoforte duet, "Woodland Whispers," Mrs. and Miss Bryan; violin solo, Mr. Prince; catch, "Ah! how, Sophia?" Rev. T. Widdowson, Messrs. W. and J. P. Robinson; pianoforte solo, "Fra Diavolo" Miss Jackson; recitation, "The Census Enumerator," Mr. F. Cox; pianoforte solo, "Blumenlied," Miss Bryan; catch, "Twas you, Sir!" Rev. T. Widdowson, Messrs. W. and J. P. Robinson; violin solo, Mr. Prince; song, Mr. J. Hanger; pianoforte solo, "Selection," Miss Jackson. The breach of promise suit, "Bardell v. Pickwick."

Dramatis personge:—Mr. Pickwick, Mr. Bell; Justice Stareleigh, Mr. W. Robinson; Mr. Serjeant Buzfuz and Mr. Simpkin, counsel for plaintiff, Mr. J. Saddington and Mr. A. Bird; Mr. Serjeant Snubbin and Mr. Phunky, counsel for defendant Mr. G. F. Goff and Mr. W. Dilks; Mr. Perker, Attorney-at-law, Mr. T. Salmon; Mr. S. Weller, in the service of Mr. Pickwick, Mr. B. H. Hall; Mr. Winkle, friend of Mr. Pickwick, Mr. C. Ellis; Clerk of the Court, Mr. J. P. Robinson; Mr. Groffin, foreman of the jury, Mr. F. Cox; Criers, Mr. T. Leverett and Mr. A. Hirst; Mrs. Bardell, Mr. G. Partridge; Mrs. Cluppins, Mr. J. Eayres; Master Bardell, S. Roughton. The National Anthem was sung as a finale to the performance. The performance was deservedly appreciated and repeatedly applauded. On the motion of the Rev. H. Bryan, a hearty vote of thanks was accorded to the members of the Kettering Church Institute for the admirable manner in which they had rendered their respective parts in the performance.

Wellingborough News, 17th June 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

ENLARGEMENT OF THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS—At a special meeting of the managers of these schools, held at the Vicarage on Monday evening last, tenders for the erection of a new class-room were sent in, as follows :—Mr. John Adams £88, Mr. Thomas R. Lovell £99. The tender of Mr. John Adams was accepted. We understand that the work will be begun at once, and is to be completed in two calendar-months.

Wellingborough News, 5th August 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

NATIONAL SCHOOLS DIOCESAN INSPECTION—The Rev. F. P. Lawson, the diocesan inspector, made his annual visit to these schools on Tuesday last, and examined the children in Scripture knowledge, and the Book of Common Prayer.

Wellingborough News, 9th September 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

NATIONAL SCHOOLS DIOCESAN INSPECTION—The report of the Diocesan Inspector, Rev. P. P. Lawson, on these schools which were examined on the 1st of August last is as follows:- Mixed. School— "Scripture was generally good—sometimes very good; but the answering in Group I was not as general in New Testament as it was elsewhere. Repetition, explanation and writing out of Catechism were very good. Prayer book was excellent"— Infant school: "The children have as usual received good instruction and have a good knowledge of what they have been taught." This testimony to the efficient teaching of the scholars is very gratifying both to the managers of the schools and the parents of the children.

Wellingborough News, 23rd September 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

THE ENLARGEMENT OF THE NATIONAL SCHOOL—OPENING OF A NEW CLASS-ROOM—In order to afford the necessary accommodation for the increased number of scholars attending and applying for admission to the National Schools, the question of enlargement has for some, time necessarily pressed itself upon the attention of the managers. After due deliberation, and the ways and means had been considered, an appeal was made to the friends of the National School both in the village and elsewhere to assist in the work, and a hearty response was made. The National Society also promised their help on the completion of the enlargement. Under these circumstances the managers some few months ago determined upon erecting a new class-room without further delay. Tenders were invited and Mr. John Adams, builder, contracted to do the work for £88. The building was promptly commenced and has just been completed. The room is a very commodious one, pleasantly situated at the east side of the Upper National School with which it communicates. It is well fitted up and will accommodate 40 extra scholars in accordance with the requirements of the Education Department. Other work has also been done besides that specified in the contract, so that the total coat of the building with other improvements will reach about £100. The ceremony of opening the new class-room took place on Saturday afternoon last. The room was prettily decorated for the occasion with evergreens and flowers intermingled with corn, and appropriate mottoes and scrolls adorned the walls. At the east end facing the entrance, on a white ground, was "Unity is strength" in evergreen letters, with bordering of the same material. On each side were vertical scrolls, one having "Honour, virtue," the other "Industry, obedience." Over the entrance were two longitudinal scrolls with red and blue letters on a white ground, "Stand fast in the faith" and "The Lord, giveth wisdom," and above these was a banner on which was inscribed the motto, ''Knowledge is power." The dedication service commenced at three o'clock with the well-known hymn, "The Church's one Foundation." A portion of Scripture from the Proverbs of Solomon was then read by the vicar (Rev. Hugh Bryan), followed by some devout prayers of dedication. The hymn, "Blessed city, heavenly Salem," was next sung, and then the vicar in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, pro-nounced the room opened in connection with the National School for the secular and religious instruction of the children in the parish. Immediately after the service, which was well-attended, a public tea meeting in honour of the occasion was held in the National Schoolroom adjoining the new class-room, in order to make every thing look cheerful, this room too was nicely decorated. The window sills were adorned with tasteful designs in corn, evergreens, and flowers, and the gas pendants were entwined with the same material. Scrolls and banners nicely wrought adorned the walls, and around the arch of the north-end window ran the words in blue and red on a white ground with coloured edging, "National School Floreat." At the opposite end in the same colours was a large longitudinal scroll with the motto, "For altar, throne, and home." This was surmounted by two banners in which were inscribed "Cease to do evil," "Learn to do well," and over the door communicating with the new class-room was the word "Welcome." These scrolls and banners were the handiwork of Mrs. L. Lund, Mr. Edwin Gostick, and the pupil teachers (Eugene K. K. Whitney and Geo. D. Finding), and must have entailed upon them a considerable amount of labour. The other decorations were the work of the ladies' committee, and one and all deserve great praise for their artistic labours. About 150 sat down to tea. The tables, which were nicely adorned with flowers, were presided over by the following ladies:—Mrs. Bryan, of the vicarage, Mesdames L. Lund, Partridge, Barnes, Atkins, Warner, W. Wingell, Spicer, March, Stubbs, George, J. Adams, R. Hazeldine, Goodman, Bell, Coles, Cuthbert, and the Misses Minnie J. K. Whitney and S. A. Robinson. Before rising from the table, the vicar (Rev. Hugh Bryan) delivered a short but appropriate address, in which he scarcely knew how sufficiently to thank thorn all seeing that it was the second time within a short period that they all had so nobly responded to the call for help for the erection of the class-room they had just opened. He trusted after that day's work had been realized, that as regarded money matters, they should not be much behind. He thanked all those kind ladies who had given trays as well as all those who had presided at tables. He warmly complimented the ladies and gentlemen comprised in the decoration committee for the time given and the talent displayed in the really artistic productions around them. He was pleased to find that the National Schools were increasing in numbers and usefullness. He believed Raunds was second to none in the Diocese for its schools. Now as they had enlarged them to afford extra accommodation, he felt sure all would say with him "Success to the Raunds National Schools." The company rose in response and grace was sung. The National School Band, under the leadership of Mr. T. Warner, discoursed some lively music in the school grounds during the afternoon. After the tea the company repaired to the vicarage grounds, which the vicar kindly permitted to be opened for promenade and dancing, under the superintendence of the Church Parochial Council. The weather being delightfully fine, a good number in addition to those at tea entered the grounds. Several comic fire balloon ascents were made during the proceedings, under the direction of Messrs. J. Shelmerdine and E. J. Whitney. The evening was a very pleasant one, and all seemed thoroughly to enjoy the treat in the grounds so kindly afforded them by the Vicar and Mrs. Bryan, who did ail they could to make it a successful holiday.

Wellingborough News, 21st October 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

NATIONAL SCHOOL—A science class in connection with the Science and Art Department, South Kensington, for the teaching of "Agriculture" to pupil teachers and others has been opened at these schools—in addition to the night schools—by the master, Mr. Shelmerdine.

Wellingborough News, 18th November 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

THE NATIONAL SCHOOL—The class list of candidates who have passed the scholarship examination for admission into training colleges which has just been issued shows Eugene K. K. Whitney, a pupil teacher in this school, to be in the first class.

Wellingborough News, 9th December 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS—The government examination, of these schools by her Majesty's Inspector, Mr. C. W. Collins, took place on Wednesday.

Wellingborough News, 24th February 1883, transcribed by Kay Collins

WESLEYAN DAY SCHOOLS—ENTERTAINMENT AND PRIZE DISTRIBUTIONThe annual entertainment and prize distribution in connection with these schools took place at the Upper Wesley an School-room, on Tuesday evening last. The walls of the school were prettily adjourned with sprigs of evergreen and at the end of the room over the gallery ran the motto "Wisdom is better than rubies." The chair was taken by the Rev. J. T. Spragg. The schoolroom was literally crowded before the commencement, and many were unable to obtain admission. In opening the proceedings the Chairman remarked that they had met under happy circumstances financially, the heavy debt that rested on the school last year had been removed, and pleasanter times were in store for the committee, and he hoped a bright history for the schools. The entertainment commenced with an appropriate hymn, "Heavenly Father send thy blessing," followed by prayer by the Rev. I. Near, of Ringstead. The prologue was then nicely given by one of the senior girls, and the infants gave a pretty action; next came a song, "Charlie wants a piece of bread," followed by Miss York, who gave a recitation on her Dolly. Another song, "A jolly old sow once lived in a sty," was then sung amid much laughter; Freddy Pentelow next gave an account of his tine apple tree. The senior scholars began their part of the entertainment with a dialogue on "the trades they would follow when they were men," in which nine lads took part. Then came a song, "Friends don't run in debt," a dialogue entitled "The trial of ignorance," in which nine boys also took part, besides a number who acted as jurymen, Master E. Lee presided, as judge, Master Corby, was counsel for the prosecution, and Master Pendered counsel for the defence. Song, "There's a boy just over the garden fence," the chorus was sung by the girls and whistled by the boys. A round, "Humble is my little cottage," was then given followed by three recitations by girls. Song "Says gossip one to gossip two;" round, "When the rosy morn appearing." After this a capital dialogue was given on the unruly member by five girls; song, "Begone dull sloth"; round, "Warble for us sweet echo"; recitation, "The old soldier's story"; Master Green; song, "I love the song birds"; round, "Come follow me." Another dialogue was given entitled "Ignorance at the bar," or a kind of sequel to the former one, eight boys took part; Master Berwick presided as judge, Master Hazeldine was counsel for the prosecution, and Master B. Lee, counsel for the defence. Song, "I'm a farmer's boy"; round, "Hark to yonder milkmaid singing"; another dialogue was given on "Scandal," at this point by two boys and two girls, and the epilogue and the round "Good night," closed this part of the performance. All the scholars joined in the songs and we may say that all were sweetly rendered both in the infant and senior departments under the conductorship of the master and mistress (Mr. G. Lee and Miss Part). The recitations were well given and the dialogues were quite a marked feature in the entertainment, the performers acquitting themselves with much credit, their manner and expression evincing much previous labour and study. Miss Lee accompanied the singing very nicely on the American organ. Rev. J. T. Spragg then proceeded to the distribution of the prizes &c., as follows:—Illuminated testimonial cards were presented to the following children who are leaving, or who have left school during the year:—Annie L. Spicer, H. Annie Pentelow, Mary Desborough, Sarah Nunley, Elizabeth Webb, Henry Nichols, William Hall, James A. Groome, Stephen Sanders, James Moules, Joseph Knighton, Arthur Pettit, James Coles, and Arthur Bailey. Queen's reward (remission of school fees for the past year), amounting to £6 2s. 6d. were distributed to the following children:—Henry Nichols (third year); H. Annie Pentelow, Herbert Knight and Arthur Hazeldine, (second year); Susan Tebbutt, Alfred Lawrence, John Moore, William Corby, Joseph Knighton, Walter Pendered and Fred Jeffkins (first year). Prizes consisting of books, and illuminated certificate cards were presented to all who passed the recent standard examination. The proceedings closed with the National Anthem. The following report of Her Majesty's Inspector, on those schools has been recently received:—Mixed School:—''The tone and discipline are excellent. The style of the standard work was especially good, and it was generally accurate. The grammar and geography were creditable, especially considering the irregular attendance of some of the children. Infants' school: —"The Infants are in good order, and are carefully taught, their general knowledge has improved. The pupil teachers have all passed, James E. Berwick has passed well, Mr. A. W. French, late pupil teacher, having completed his course of training at Homerton Training College, has received an appointment under the London School Board, as assistant master in one of their largest schools.

Wellingborough News, 2nd June 1883, transcribed by Kay Collins

PRIZE DISTRIBUTION AT THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS—The annual distribution of prizes to the children at the National Day Schools took place on Friday afternoon, under the presidency of the Vicar, the Rev. Hugh Bryan. There were also present Mrs., Miss, and Master H. Bryan, Mrs. Partridge and Mrs. George, and Messrs. G. Ekins and E. J. Whitney. After some preliminary exercises the proceedings opened with the hymn "Joy because the circling year brings our day of blessing here." The Vicar then delivered an appropriate address. The prizes were then distributed by Mrs. Bryan and those present to the children as each standard of boys and girls filed past the table. The prizes consisted of a choice selection of beautifully-bound books, atlases, and illuminated certificates. The 4th, 5th, and 6th standards had books, and illuminated certificates according to the respective standards, the 2nd and 3rd standards were presented with atlases, and the first standard with illuminated certificates. After the distribution the school song "When we go a-Maying" was sweetly sung by the scholars, and then the schoolmaster (Mr. Shelmerdine) addressed them, and called for cheers for the vicar and those present, and in response to the vicar's call cheers were then given for the schoolmaster and teachers in appreciation of their services. A distribution of rewards to the children in the infant department followed immediately after, accompanied with musical exercises.


Rushden Echo, 23rd August 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

RaundsSergt. Harold Lee, formerly headmaster of the Council School, arrived home on leave from France in the early hours of Tuesday morning. He was conveyed from Wellingboro’ M.R. station by one of the motor despatch riders.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us