Click here to return to the previous page

Scrambling at Castle Mound

Rushden & District Query Motor Club began in 1932. One of the founder members was Bill Holt who farmed at Higham Park Farm until his retirement in 1969. The club organised charity events where they could enjoy themselves and also raise funds for good causes.

Before World War II the club ran scramble meetings at Newton Blossomville, but the course was ploughed up during the war, for cultivation. So they looked for a new venue and got permission to run their scramble meetings at Castle Mound in Yelden. The scrambles took place three times a year and raised hundreds of pounds for charities, and the first one at Yelden was on June 29th 1946.

After just four years at the new venue, objectors put pressure on the Rector of Yelden to stop the meetings, and so it ended in 1950.

Map showing the Castle Mound - 1917

Year unknown but at Yelden with Basil Hall leading

If you have a photograph from one of these events to share, please contact us.

Click here to return to the main index of features
click here for the index to Yelden
Click here to e-mail us