Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Elim Baptist Church

The Elim Particular Baptist Church

After a disagreement, twelve brethren were excluded from the Old Baptist Church in 1848 and in July that year started to hold their own services at Dial Farm, the home of their leader George Day. Another leader of this breakaway group was John Corby. Later they rented a barn in the High Street where they had 24 sittings with 100 other places and John Evans was the minister.

Around 1860 the church was adjoining the property of Henry Lenton, a corn factor, "on or near where the Coffee Tavern is" according to Walter Green's memories of the 1860s (written in 1892).

The Elim was disbanded around 1870.

Sketch by Walter Green around 1892 - recalling the 1860s
This sketch has 3 notes added to it:

at the left edge
"This was a Meeting House"

and at the bottom
"Gateway should have been drawn larger"


and at the right side
"Taken out window to make entrance larger"




This is the only picture found of the Elim Meeting.
"Henry Lenton's house and Ealim Meeting"

14 March 1874 - Northampton Mercury 

Sudden Death—On Monday evening last, Mr. J. Corby, for many years deacon of the Elim Meeting, died very suddenly. It appears he was in usual health, and about six o’clock, went out of his house for some purpose, and was taken ill. He was assisted into the house, and every attention paid him, but he died the same evening.


This extract is from an obituary notice in 1908.
... the “Elim” Meeting, a Baptist Chapel which used to stand on the site now occupied by the shop of Messrs. Webb Bros., clothiers, High-street Rushden, and here he used to lead the singing with his bass instrument.  The chapel in question was destroyed by fire ...

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Churches & Chapels index
Click here to e-mail us