Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Primitive Methodist Church


The Primitive Methodist Chapel in Fitzwilliam Street. It was built in 1890
The original Primitive Methodist Chapel in Fitzwilliam Street.
It is now the home of the St John Ambulance Brigade

In December 1883 a meeting was held "in the Primitive Methodist Mission-room on the Green" by the anti-vaccination league, so the church was well established by then. As the congregation grew it was decided in June 1889 to build, and the Primitive Methodist Church in Fitzwilliam Street was opened on Feb 22nd 1890. It was a very small church and by the end of the Great Depression, around 1930, it began to decline: funds were short and the church leaders were feeling their age. In 1934 the church secretary left Rushden for his home town, Liverpool, and the following year the treasurer resigned. The expenses were rising; the boiler needed repair, as did the property, and it became clear that they could not survive. The decision to close and sell the building was taken in October 1936.

To read the original deed for the purchase of the land, extracts from the Minute book, a list of the officials of the church and the memories of Mr Reg Roberts the church organist, please click on a link below.

Note: the Chapel on the Green was sold in March 1889



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Churches & Chapels index
Click here to e-mail us