Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Ginns - Blacksmith

4-10 High Street South

the smithy
The property in High Street South

1910
1910 Phillipson's Directory
The business was started by Adam Tirrell Ginns in 1870, when the property was copyhold of Rushden Manor. Later his son William Norwood Ginns joined him. Both had been members of St Mary's Church choir, along with several other family members.

The Rushden Hall Estate, owned by the Sartoris Family, included several houses and shops in High Street South.

When the estate was sold in 1929, the Town Council purchased Rushden Hall and Grounds to create a Public Park, and William Norwood Ginns purchased No 8 by a mortgage on the 8th of February 1930. The purchase was "subject to the right of the owners of numbers 4 & 6 to use the common passage between number 6 & number 8 to the coal barns, W.C. and water tap, and the common pathway at the rear of them."
receipt
A receipted statement dated 1947 signed by
William Norwood Ginns
Jimmy Guinee at work
Jimmy Guinee at work in the smithy - photo by Vic Childs
by kind permission of Rushden Museum

A few old posters that were found when the building was demolished in 1975 give us a list of prices charged in 1922 and 1929, as laid down by the Master Farriers' Association for Rushden, Wellingborough, Kettering & Thrapston Branch, and the members could be fined £5 for charging at lower prices.
1922 prices 1929 prices

NRO Ref: Acc1977/327
1945 prices 1946 prices 1948 prices
1945
1946
1948

Horses at the smithy
Horses for shoeing at the smithy - undated


Rushden Echo & Argus, 20th January 1950

A. T. Ginns & Son
High Street South
Rushden

The Executors of the late W N Ginns have much pleasure in announcing that they have been able to make arrangements for the above business to be carried on as before.

Two fully qualified as expert Blacksmiths will be employed
and all classes of Smiths’ work can now be undertaken.

Old and New Customers will be Welcomed

Prompt Attention is Assured at all Times.


Jimmy Guinee was one of the expert blacksmiths who came in 1950 to carry on the business after William Norwood Ginns died. The premises in High Street South, between the park gates and the top of Skinners Hill, were sold when Jimmy Guinee left in 1972. During his time he had trained many apprentices in the smithy, to carry on this work.

Jimmy moved to live at Yelden and from there he rented premises at Chelveston Air Base, where he turned a mess room of the 305th Bombardment Group into his workshop and the bar became his office. Jimmy died at Yelden in 1988.


Rushden Echo, 1st July 1955, transcribed by Jim Hollis
Part of the ‘Spotlight on Rushden’ series

The village smithy is still there
Busy industrial town though it is, Rushden has many marks of the village which it was.

Close to the Hall is still to be found the smithy, and though heavy lorries rumble by outside, horses still come to be shod as they did in the coaching days, and there is a brisk demand for agricultural work. Mrs M A Ginns carries the business on, and in this picture Jimmy Guinee is busy on a shoeing job.



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us