Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

R J Annis & Son
Corner of Pratt Road and Cromwell Road

A Butcher's Shop was opened in Cromwell Road, at the corner with Pratt Road, when the street was first laid out in the 1890s, by Edward Warren who at that time had another shop in Moor Road.

In 1922 a butcher's shop in High Street became vacant and Edward Warren took that over. His son having joined the business, they kept on the Cromwell Road shop but left the Moor Road shop.

R J Annis took the shop in the late 1960s, and later his son joined him.

from Cromwell Road Annis' in 1993
1988 Annis' shop behind the telegraph pole
and Bob's Off Licence on the opposite corner
R J Annis' shop in 1993
Photo from the Evening Telegraph


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us