The Auger family came to Rushden in the late 1880s and at first lived in Manton Road. The family moved to 25 Grove Road and both Henry and his son, also Henry, worked in the shoe trade. The business was started at their home, and they started to advertise in the trade directories in 1920. About 1930 they moved to 45 Newton Road and continued there until at least 1940.
Henry senior died in 1931, his wife having died 4 years earlier.
A typical corner shop, at the junction of Newton Road and Robinson Road - taken from this advertising postcard
with a calendar for 1934 - produced by A J George,
for whom Harry was an agent.