Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Henry & Herbert Bates
Fried Fish Shop at 107, 139/141 High Street

c1896
In 1910 Henry Bates had opened a fried fish shop at 107 High Street, and ten years later Herbert Bates had taken over.

At 139 in 1903, widow Catherine White kept a fruiterer’s shop, and by 1908 this had been taken over by her son William, who was now trading as a greengrocer.

At 141 Eli Hobson had opened a fried fish shop in 1908, next door to the Railway Inn.

c1922
c1922
Herbert Bates took over 139 and 141 in about 1922 (he also kept 107 for a short time), and he replaced the thatched roof with pantiles. He traded as The "ITO" Fish & Chip Saloon. By 1930 the business was run by James William Bates.

In 1940 the property was badly damaged when a German plane dropped a string of bombs on Rushden. The Duck Street junction was widened when the property was demolished.

Note: Rollie Cox took over 107 High Street about 1927.
Above 139/141 High Street c1896 - below c1925
The 'ITO'

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us