Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Boots the Chemist

Boots was established in 1849 by John Boot, in Nottingham, where their headquarters still
are today. The Rushden shop opened in 1919, when they bought Charles Smith's business.

Rushden Echo, 19th December 1919

MR. Philip Bradnam, formerly with Mr. Charles Smith, chemist, up to about eight years ago, has been appointed manager of the Rushden branch of Boots, Ltd.

Boot's shop
The shop front in the 1920s

Rushden Echo, 5th December 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins

Notice!

BOOTS THE CHEMISTS desire to announce that they have acquired the Retail Chemist's Business of Mr. Chas. Smith, carried on by him at 29, High Street, Rushden.

logoThey have taken over the Prescription Books and Recipes, and have acquired the rights in connection with them, so that any prescriptions or preparations formerly prepared by Mr. Smith at the above address may still be obtainable.

Special care is taken in the dispensing of medicines to Doctors' prescriptions.
Fresh, pure drugs are used, and each prescription is carefully checked to ensure absolute reliability and efficiency.

Local Branch: 29, High Street, Rushden.
555 Branches throughout the Country.


A 1920s postcard
In the 1960s
Boots the Chemist how it looks in 2007
Another postcard
The scene in 2007

Extract - re F/O Donald Braybrook
........... he joined the R.A.F. from the Rushden branch of Messrs Boots, the chemists.



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us