Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Harry Cartwright

Harry Cartwright was born at Northampton in 1869. He came to Rushden with his wife Emily Scrivens (born Avening GLS) after their marriage in 1883, and he first sold grindery.

A daughter Alice was born in 1884, a son Alfred in 1885 (Fred), and daughter Edith Sarah was born in 1885, but sadly she died in 1890. Son Charles was born in 1887, and a third son George Frederick was born in November 1889 but he died when just 10 days old. Another daughter Avila Violet was born in 1890.

In 1885 he was a shopkeeper in Wellingborough Road, and by 1898 he was trading as 'The General Stores' at 21 Higham Road as a 'maker of brilliant leather stains, ironmonger, lamp & oil dealer, stationer & tobacconist'.

He had moved to 4 High Street by 1900 where he classed himself a general dealer, and in 1902 moved next door to a take 6 High Street, and in 1906 added 8 High Street.

1906 announcing the opening of Sywell Reservoir. Crowds were filling the street and all looking towards the steps at the side of the Church.

Announcements were often made from the Church area.

clipped from a sepia postcard

In 1908 he moved again, to 121 High Street at the corner of West Street, formerly the property of Samuel Knight. In 1914 he was trading as a hardware & fancy goods merchant, and in 1926 he was a general dealer, selling fancy goods and toys, he was a gramophone agent, an ironmonger and a stationer. Here he continued until 1930.

Harry died in August 1937, and his wife died in 1942. They are buried in Rushden Cemetery in graves C364/365.


He must have overcome financial problems in 1902:
04 July 1902 - Northampton Mercury

RE HARRY CARTWRIGHT, general dealer, 6 High-street, Rushden. €”ln this case a deed of arrangement was filed on the 30th ult. with view to the payment composition 13s. 4d. in the £, by lour equal installments, at three, six, nine, and twelve months; secured by an arrangement upon trust, etc; the debtor to continue the business under the supervision of a trustee until default. Mr. Albert Cripwell (Corfield and Cripwell), Cherry-street, Birmingham, is the trustee. The unsecured liabilities total £567 6s. 2d., and the net assets £421 13s. 8d. "€œShoe and Leather Record."€


Advert from The Rushden Echo 9th July 1915

H. Cartwright - The Army Supply Stores
121 High Street Rushden

This is the Best Shop for Soldiers

Soldiers' Friend 1d. Belts Knives
Button Sticks and Brushes Dubbin Holdalls
Khaki Blanco Lanyards Nutta and Expert Leather Polish
Tommy's Housewife 6½d. Everything for a Soldier
See Window for Badges

Rushden Echo, 14th July 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Mr. H. Cartwright, High-street, Rushden, is agent for the well-known "Rushden Echo" gold fountain pen. Nibs to suit all styles of handwriting. 3/6 each.


An advert from Northampton Independent 23rd April 1927

CARTWRIGHTS

is the oldest GENERAL STORES in the District. Established over 40 years under one Name and is Noted for Good Quality Articles at Moderate Prices.

November we have s Splendid Display of Fireworks.

December we are known as Father Christmas
Headquarters for Dolls, Toys, Games,
In Large Varieties.

All kinds of
Pocket Lamps and Batteries, Gas Mantles, Burners, Globes, Etc.

Our Jewellery &
Electro-Plate is of The  Best

Watches & Clocks
At  Very Low Prices

We Have Everything In Season.
Tennis, Cricket, Football & Indoor Games In Stock

Perambulator Wheels Re-Tyred
and Scissors Ground Daily
Cartwright's at 121 High Street
121 High Street


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us