Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Rushden Co-operative Society Ltd.

Growth : Stores & Dates, Membership & Turnover


Store & Where Year
Founded 1876
First Registered - Registration No.2050 1877
First Shop 19 High Street (R.D.H.S. placed a Blue Plaque on this site in 1994) 1878
First Manager - Mr. David Darnell 1878
First Bakery 1878
First Slaughter House in Park Road 1887
First Butcher's Shop 1888
Second Bakery & Grocery Opened 1889
4 Industrial Cottages Built in Park Road 1892
Coke & Coal Business Established 1894
Number 1 Store with Bakehouse & Butcher's in High Street South 1894
Number 2 Store with Bakehouse & Butcher's in Queen Street 1896
Number 3 Store with Bakehouse & Bakery in Wellingborough Road/Windmill Road & Main Warehouse 1895
Number 4 Store Park Road Grocery 1896
The Drapery & Co-op Hall opened 1903
3 Houses in Queen Street purchased and Property in Newton Road 1906
Number 6 Store at Podington 1910
New Stables in Newton Road 1910
Dial Farm Bedford Road 1910
Mantle Confectionery in the High Street purchased 1911
New Bakery in Newton Road opened 1913
Grange Farm purchased - Farm at Sanders' Lodge 1916
Property in Milton Place and Succoth Place - extending to Rectory Road purchased (Now a car park) 1918
First Motor Vehicle (Thornycroft) purchased 1919
Knuston Farm purchased 1920
Milk Round established 1920
Newton Road Fish & Chip Shop opened 1921
Wellingborough Road Fish & Chip Shop opened 1922
Number 7 Store Hove Road 1924
Jubilee Park presented to the Town 1926
Number 8 Store Higham Road - Grocery & Hardware 1927
Higham Road Furniture & Butchery opened 1928
Hove Road Butchery opened 1929
New Offices opened 1930
New Garage & 6th Butchery Store opened 1929
Grocery Store in Birchall Road erected 1932
Morris Van CNV 979 (Completed 290,640 Miles - Driver R. Brittain) 1946
Work began on New Food Hall in Rose Ave. 1960
Purvis Road Store Number 20
J. Cook passed away 2nd October 1961

1911 advert
Advert in the 1911 Guide
Year
Number of Members
Capital
Sales
1883
210
£673
£3, 758
1890
400
£2,925
£9,231
1897
930
£5,826
£23,416
1904
1,612
£10,326
£34,625
1911
2,222
£24,924
£52,632
1918
2,617
£48,576
£96,261
1925
3,552
£120,227
£145,239
1932
4,492
£234,395
£151,159



Extract from Mary Brightwell's Obituary
Mr. Thomas Brightwell was one of a small group of enthusiasts who founded the Rushden Co-operative Society, opening the business in the front room of the late Mr. David Darnell’s house in Green’s Yard, now known as Albion-place. He was secretary of the society for many years, and during that period Mrs. Brightwell managed the drapery department, which was in High-street South.

The Rushden Echo and Argus, 1st April 1949, transcribed by Jim Hollis

When Rushden is Lit Up - Rushden’s biggest sign, the words “Shop at the Co-op” in three-foot high letters that could once be seen for miles, is completely out of action. The neon tubes are cracked and broken, gas has escaped and the red paint has peeled off the background. The sign uses 11,000 volts, and though it is to be repaired, it is doubtful if it will be in working order for some time.

A small neon over the Co-operative provision department is in better condition, as the paintwork has already been dealt with and the glass did not catch the blast of the bombs which fell in Alfred Street and shattered much of the glass in the large sign. [extract from a longer article]

Rushden Echo & Argus, 11th July 1954, transcribed by Kay Collins

Meat decontrol
After the decontrol of meat the Bedford Road abattoir, used since the war as a central slaughterhouse for the district, is to be administered by the C.W.S. There had been no response to an offer to slaughter animals for private traders. Extract from Council meeting

Evening Telegraph, 11th January 1989

Changes in store
A PART of Rushden's street scene which has stood since the turn of the century could be swept away by next year if plans for a new £3 million Co-op store go ahead.

The main block of the High Street store was built around 1902 with the electrical and homeware departments following in the 1960s.

Now owners the South Midlands Co-op want to demolish the whole block and replace it with a 15,000 square foot department store, as revealed exclusively in the East Northants ET on Friday.

If planning permission is granted, building work could start within a couple of months.

High Street stores in 1989
The stores to be replaced with Co-op Hall
standing proudly atop

Some 1950s - 1970s store photographs

Click here to return to the Co-op Introduction page


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us