|The Rushden Echo, 27th September 1968, transcribed by Jim Hollis
Currys move into modern Rushden Shop
The new Currys shop in Rushden High Street will be run by the existing staff, who are: manager, Mr. Arnold Spence, manager for the past 18 years; assistant manager, Mr. Murray Kirk (also regional editor of house magazine); Mr. George Farrar and Mr. Ernest Stock.
They expect to have to take on more staff in the future depending on the amount of extra trade they build up.
The modern new shop
Work started on the shop in April this year, when they removed seven lorry loads of old furniture. Among the items was a chair dated 1886.
Main feature of the new shop is the frontage. There is a forecourt which will enable people to look into the shop to better advantage than in the old shop. The shop itself will be able to display far more than before. This was not possible because the old shop was too narrow.
The new premises also give Currys far more storage space. They have ground and first floor storage room and if demand necessitates it, basement storage. It is estimated that they have 50 per cent more space for storage.
Although the new frontage is vastly different to the old Rushden shop it is a standard type for all new Curry shops, which they have used since before the war. Similar Curry shop fronts can be seen at Bedford, Kettering and Northampton.
This new shop is their own property.