Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Dunkley - hairdresser & tobacconist
71a High Street
In 1903 the shop was 'Jesse Dining Rooms', W H Howard opened a hairdresser's here in 1908, then Charles Clarke who had a salon in Wellingborough Road moved into this shop soon after, but in 1910 Edwin Dunkley was advertising in Kelly's Directory at the address.

c1910

The shop & the Rose & Crown and the Post Office
before High Street was widened in 1910


The business was begun just before WWI by Edwin J Dunkley, and he continued into WWII. Edwin was born at Wellingborough, son of John, a currier. He married Ethel Kate Fensome, daughter of George and Deborah, who had come to Rushden from Bedfordshire, for work in the shoetrade. George was a leather merchant. Edwin & Ethel married on 12th October 1916 at the Wesleyan Church. They had one son, Donald George in 1920.

Donald carried on the business, and he sold stamps and tobacco in the shop, with the hairdressing department at the back. (He often left a customer in mid-shave to serve a customer in the shop!)


(right) There are three shop doors - for Gill's fruit and vegetables, Hairwaves (upstairs) and Mr Dunkley's. 1980s
the shop
The shop adjoining the Rose and Crown

Edwin John Dunkley was living at Wellingborough in December 1905 when he and his father signed his apprenticeship document, to learn "the Art trade or business of Hairdresser & tobacconist" from John William Harry Allured of 28 Cambridge Street, Wellingborough. The apprenticeship was for three years, and he would be paid three shillings a week in the first year, four shillings a week in the second year and six shillings a week during the third year. (below) His apprenticeship document and reference
apprenticeship deed Memo of reference (below): "To all whom it may concern. Edwin John Dunkley of 53 Gordon Road Wellingborough has been in my employ 3 years ending Dec 11/08; and during that time he has conducted himself in a most satisfactory manner, being Sober, Industrious, Clean & very Honest."
memo
From a lease and related papers seen, annual rent for this shop was increased to £78 in 1947.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us