Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Gramshaw's - House Furnisher
Dealer in Antiques and Second-hand Furniture
Alfred Gramshaw was born in 1877 at Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire. About 1898 he came to Rushden to work in the shoetrade. In 1899 he was trading at 55 High Street as "Gramshaw & Co" but soon moved to 40 High Street.

A half-day closing on Thursday afternoons, saw many local shopkeepers playing cricket for the Thursday Cricket Club, and in 1906 Alfred was captain of the team.

Later his son joined him in the business and they also took 57 High Street.

In 1959/60 they moved to 68/70 Higham Road.

Gramshaw's
Gramshaw - furnishers
40 High Street
A 1916 invoice for silver candlesticks
A 1916 invoice for a pair of silver candlesticks at £3.10.0
invoice


Invoice no. 1598 was issued in July 1914 to Mr W Brown of Hill Farm, Higham Ferrers

£
s
d

1 Mahogany table

4

0

0

1 Carpet 3¼ x 4

3

10

0

17 Brass rods ¼

1

2

8

34 Brass Eyes

13

5

68 Brass screws

1

6

Door Knob

1

10

1 Palm stand

8

6

1 Pole & Rings

2

3

2 Poles & Rings

5

0

2 Poles & Rings

4

6

10

9

8

The Rushden Echo, 8th April, 1927, transcribed by Gill Hollis

High-Street Property

The property in High-street now occupied by Messrs. Hunter's Tea Stores has been acquired, we understand, by Mr. A. Gramshaw, furniture dealer, opposite, with a view to the extension of his business. Mr. Gramshaw has used the rooms over the shop for some time as a show place, and intends to use the shop below (in addition to his present shop) as soon as it becomes available.

Rushden Echo, 3rd June 1927, transcribed by Kay Collins

Progress - Few local businesses have made greater strides in Rushden during the last quarter-of-a-century than that of Mr A Gramshaw, household furnisher, who 25 years ago started in small premises on the west side High-street and subsequently took spacious premises (No. 40 High-street) adjoining Succoth Chapel. Later he secured good showrooms in Queen-street, and now he has secured for showroom purposes the large shop recently occupied by Messrs Hunter, the Teamen.

With the spacious new premises immediately opposite his present shop, he will be in a position to greatly increase his output and his showroom premises will be second to none in the whole district.

Gramshaw's lorry
This Gramshaw's lorry outside the Post Office in College Street had been damaged by a bomb in 1940.

c1965 Gramshaw's shop between H York & Sons radio and TV shop and the Succoth Chapel. The Chapel was demolished in 1969 for an extension of the Co-op.

The property right of York's is Lawrence's Fashions, and this was demolished in 1974.

George Street corner
Wills' shop was taken over in the mid 1960s by H York & Sons


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us