Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Charles Hewitt
stationer, sub-postmaster, bookseller & draper

Later Elizabeth Hewitt

Charles Hewitt was born in Rushden in 1838, son of James, a watchmaker, and Elizabeth (nee Briggs). He had three older siblings - Thomas, William, and Harriott, and all four were baptised at St Mary’s Church on 26th May 1841.

The boys learned shoemaking, but in the early 1860s Charles began to trade as a stationer. He gradually increased his trade and when William Packwood retired as sub-postmaster, Charles took over the post in about 1872. He traded at 35 High Street, and added books, printing, and drapery to his sales lines.

In August 1901 Charles retired as sub-postmaster, and the following year the Post Office was built, and Sidney Field became Postmaster. In 1903 Charles’ daughter Elizabeth had established a news agency in the same shop, and she continued to trade there until after her parents had died. Charles died in 1911, and his wife, Elizabeth died in 1914, and both are buried in Rushden Cemetery.


Extract from a Note Book of J E Smith

Mr Charles Hewitt Subpostmaster at Rushden for 30 years received an “Armchair” & an illuminated address on his resignation in Aug. 1926.


Northampton Mercury, 07 November 1868 

W’boro Court—Licenses sell fireworks were granted to Henry Sawyer and John Abbott, of Wellingborough, also to C. Hewitt, Rushden, and George Carter, of Earl's Barton.


memo
1872 memo to Mr Thomas? at Thrapston asking him to quote for 100, 200 & 500 of 4 page circulars, and also for 30 or 50 of bill forms.
receipy
1872 receipt to enable collection of a box.
It was sent from London and to Higham Ferrers railway station, at a cost of 5d.
1872 bill
1872 bill to Charles Hewitt
memo
1882 memo sent to Messrs Marshall to cancel some newspapers or magazines that his customers no longer required.

The Green and Church Parade c1910
Postcard published by E Hewitt c1910 of the Green and Church Parade, Wheatsheaf Inn (right)

Rushden Echo, 1st March 1901

The Golden Century Circulating Library will open on Saturday, March 2nd. E. Hewitt, High-street, Rushden.

Rushden Echo, 3rd January 1908

Try E Hewitt, 35 High Street, for
Best Hot-house and other Sweet Grapes.


Included in a sale in 1912

Rushden Argus, 5th March 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Alarming Outbreak at Rushden

A fire broke out in the stationery and fancy goods shop of Miss Hewitt, agent for the “Rushden Argus,” High-street, Rushden, on Monday evening about 5 o’clock. Councillor J S Clipson, chairman of the Urban Council, noticed the glow of the fire through the window, and at once telephoned to the Fire Station for assistance. Meanwhile Mr Wigginton, Mr Moody, Mr Wheeler, and others, with pails of water, and Mr Moody’s fire extinguisher, got to work on the fire, and soon had it under control.

The Fire Brigade were on the scene within six minutes of the call, with the hose cart, but it was not found necessary to use the fire appliances. The outbreak occurred beneath the window boards of the front shop, and a large quantity of stock, and the woodwork and glass of the window fittings were burned. The promptness of the neighbouring tradesmen undoubtedly prevented a very serious conflagration.

c1910
Miss Hewitt's shop (left) c1910

The Misses Mobbs took over the shop about 1922

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us