The advert below for W. Laurance
when he was using the mill. He advertised in Kelly's directories
from 1910 to 1920, but the entries
do not mention the mill.
The invoice below is dated 1919 and it came to us with a bundle that had been found on an old 'spike' as traditionally
used to store receipts. He had two shops
at 7 Church Street and 26 Higham Road.
Mr. Laurance came to Rushden from his native village, Yardley Hastings, about 1904. For many years he operated the old windmill which stood between Rushden and Wymington. He afterwards became a corn chandler in Rushden. He retired from business about 1927 and went to live at Newton Bromshold, where he was a churchwarden for 7 years. [obituary]