The Rushden Echo and Argus, 31st March, 1950, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Bank Manager to Retire From Service
After seeing his own plans carried out in the rebuilding and enlargement of the Midland Bank at Rushden, Mr. O. A. H. Muxlow, manager of the branch for thirty years, will retire from the service of the bank to-day.
When the bank acquired the adjacent Post Office premises Mr. Muxlow began to work out a scheme for the reconstruction and joining up of the two offices. His designs gave complete satisfaction at headquarters, and the architect followed them closely in his final plans.
Mr. Muxlow would normally have retired in September, 1948, but the Board asked him to stay on and see the fulfilment of his scheme.
The work is now practically complete, and Mr. Muxlow is retiring after 46 years of bank life. He will continue to reside in Newton Road, Rushden.
A native of Sheffield, Mr. Muxlow began his career at the Sheffield Union Bank (afterwards merged into the Midland), in Bank Street, Sheffield. He served also at Sheffield Central branch, at Buxton, and for five years at Wellingborough, becoming a manager when he moved to Rushden.
A document he will prize is a letter recently received from the Chief General Manager, expressing the Board’s appreciation and good wishes.
Mr. Muxlow has built up many personal interests, especially in the Masonic movement, in which he has received Provincial honours in several degrees. He has been a Buffalo for many years, was formerly with Rushden and District Golf Club and Rushden Town Bowling Club, and has been treasurer of Wymington Parish Council. His wife is prominent in many social movements and is a member of the County Council and Rushden Urban Council.
Mr Leslie Carter
Mr. Leslie Carter, who takes over on Saturday, began his banking career at the Hillsborough, Sheffield branch in 1916, and was later transferred to the staff of the branch at Chesterfield, where in 1940 he was appointed accountant.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Carter took part in the town’s activities. Mr. Carter was treasurer of Chesterfield Round Table for many years, and during the war was a member of the Warden’s service and later, as Area Captain, was partly responsible for re-organising the town’s Fire Guard service under the new Fire Guard plan.
Mrs. Carter was on the Borough Welfare Committee for some years and was also actively connected with the Methodist Church.
Their hobbies include golf and tennis, and they were both members of the Play-goers’ Society.
They have one daughter, Miss Mary Carter, who is at present completing her education at Chesterfield High School, and who hopes to obtain her Higher School Certificate this summer. Miss Carter may then make music her career, having obtained her final examination in 1947 when only 14 years of age.