Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Rushden Milkmen 1940s
Bill Houghton with his three wheeled van
Bill Houghton with his three wheeled van

Dairymen

During WWII all milkmen in the town were designated areas, and could only deliver there. Exisiting customers outside his area had to change to the designated supplier.
Charles Warrington's 'round' was from Holt's Lane [Higham Park Lane] to Newton Road.
N King's round was Headingley Rd, Pightles Terrace, and Oval Rd.


Forename Surname Dairy Sales address
Established
Frank Abbott    
 
A E Abbott & Son   29 Queen Street
1897
R Clark Homedale Farm (purchased wholesale from Summerfields) 181 Bedford Road
 
Fred Collins Rectory Farm (Newton Road)
later supplied by wholesaler
182 Wellingborough Road
1903
  Co-op Society Dial Farm (Milk supply - Newton Road) Bedford Road
 
Ralph Dickens Park Farm Irchester Road
 
B C Groom   20 Washbrook Road
 
Ken Hodgkins (started by W Hodgkins, then Horace) 'Yeldenia' Newton Road
 
Albert Holley   Newton Road
 
J W "Bill" Houghton smallholding near Sanders Lodge 42 Crabb Street
 
N King   Newton Road
 
Reg Mortimer   Newton Road
 
Aubrey Smith   Robinson Road
 
E Smith   Bedford Road
 
Don Summerfield   Griffith Street
 
A Waller   Wymington Road
 
Edward Warren    
 
Charles Warrington smallholding Avenue Rd, Court Estate  
John White (not retail - for works only) Kimbolton Road
 
Alfred Willmott Blousic Dairy Wellingborough Road
 
George Willmott Home Farm Knuston
 
George Willmott (supplied by John Willmott) High Street
 
John Willmott Manor Farm Bedford Road
 
By the 1960s things began to change. Milk was then available in the new supermarkets and gradually over the next 20 years the dairymen were finding it harder to survive. Some sold out to regional or national companies, others retired and a few survived.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us