Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

George Miller
General & Furnishing Ironmonger
George Miller was born at Bedford
and served his apprenticeship in the ironmongery business at Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. His wife Frederica was born
at Reading.

George traded as an ironmonger
in Rushden from 1888, and at
14 High Street from 1890 to 1917, when the business was destroyed by a fire.

Before the war, Mr Alfred Gray,
was
manager for Mr Miller.

George and Frederica had
two sons and two daughters.

For more - 1891

The shop
Right - the shop, next to Whitings & the Waverley Hotel

1890advert

The advert left, from The Argus, April 1890 tells us he "Thanks the inhabitants of Rushden and its vicinity for the liberal support they have shown to him hitherto, and begs to announce that, owing to his increasing trade, he has Opened New Large Premises nearly opposite the Post Office." [The latter was at 35 High Street then]
The shop in 1911
The shop in 1911 - H P Hodge built a warehouse behind in 1926

After the fire, George concentrated on his public service for the town, the church and education. He was also a Justice of the Peace, and an Alderman.
Above - A knife made for George Miller Rushden, now donated to Rushden Museum

1903 - The death of Mr. W. H. Clements, of Crabb-street, Rushden, took place on Sunday last at the age of 43. The deceased, who until recently was in the employ of Mr. George Miller........

The business was taken over by H P Hodge in 1918

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us