Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Mr Nattrass' Businesses Taken Over
John Nattrass' shops - 46 & 48 High Street
and 131 High Street

John Nattrass was born at Bristol in 1859. He had moved to Rushden from Nottingham with his wife Edith and their two daughters, Edith and Thirza by 1895. A son Roland was born here in 1895 and daughter Muriel in 1898.

John traded as an ironmonger at 131 High Street, and as an earthernware dealer at 46/48 High Street.
The family returned to Nottinghamshire in 1906.


J Harper took over the business at 48 High Street in 1906 and R. H. Carter began trading at 131 High Street.

1900 advert

Rods & Tackle advert 1900
1900 Advert

Rushden Echo, 12th October 1906

J. Harper having taken over the business of china merchant etc., carried on by Mr. Nattrass, is offering the whole of the stock at 5s. in the £ discount. Great sale of china, glass, earthenware, bags, baskets, perambulators, etc.

1906 advert
April 1906 advert

Number 131 High Street was the ironmongery of John Nattrass from 1895 to 1906.
A 1908 advert by R. H. Carter declares he was "successor to John Nattrass".
Before WWI the Clipson Bros. took over and stayed there until it became
the premises of Alfred Gray's builders' merchants in the early 1930s.

Thomas'
In the 1960s the upstairs was "Thomas Hair Artist" - a ladies' hairdressing salon.

Barry Thomas, son of the proprietor ran a newsagency on the ground floor. He also sold sweets and stationery.

Thomas' Hair Artist & Newsagents


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us