Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Old Shops of High Street South

the smithy Okins Garage
The smithy of A T Ginns was taken over by Jimmy Guinee
who continued to trade into the 1970s
Okins' Garage centre - taken from the 'Wheatsheaf' c1910
Taken over by George Robinson - c1930 the area was cleared and George had a new garage built here.

Mr Butchers thatching in 1953
No 22 - about 1900 when Mr Butcher kept this shop
In 1953 the building was re-thatched

Three pictures of 22 High Street South about 1900, 1953 and 1970.

Mr Butcher was a brick and tile maker.
He was also a grocer, and supplied the Sartoris family of Rushden Hall.

Arthur Simpson moved here about 1920 and opened a cafe business. He was a gas fitter and his wife and daughters ran the business. Alongside this his daughter Florence began making hats.

Florence, an accomplished seamstress, took over the premises trading as a high class milliner and costumier. The business flourished and continued until about 1990.

Florence's shop
c1970s Photo by Vic Childs - courtesy Rushden Museum

No 26 High Street South 1950s
Peggy Bird (nee Young) outside her Aunt Jinny's shop at
26 High Street South c1916 (earlier at 91)
28 & 26 Bill Poole's vacuum cleaners and greengrocer/florist George Moore's 1950s

19502
c1950 (l-r) Miller's hairdressers, Poole's vacuums, Moore's florist

2008
In 2008 Barry Miller's hairdressers and an Indian take-away (previously Bill Poole's shop) and a residence (previously George Moore's florists and greengrocers.

Butchery grocery
The Co-op built these two shops in 1894 to provide drapery, grocery, bakery and butchery goods at the southern end of the town.

A long terrace of houses was also built behind, but this has been reduced by half, with access now from Crabb Street.

The house on the corner with Crabb Street, with the Co-op shops beyond, were demolished in the 1990s.

Crabb Street corner

Harris' 89,91,93 The shops
In 1903 No 61 was John Knight bootmaker.
Albert Flavell tailor was here by 1910, and he was joined by J T Gent, who continued there into the 1930s when William Clarke converted the shop to a general store.
In 1942 it became
Harris' Stores.
89-91-93 High Street South c1905
At 89 a butchers shop was kept by Thomas Knight in 1900, then by John James from 1910 into the 1940s. Samuel Denton's sister kept a shop at 91 - she moved to 26 c1914.
c1920 At 91 Arthur Coleman wholesale fish curer & fruiterer with a blind to keep the windows shaded

At 93 Stephen Higgins kept a drapery before it became Joe Eagle's hardware in 1910.


Samuel Chettle traded at 100 until 1920 when Mr Jacques and
Mr Timpson started their business as this 1922 advert tells.
We only have a picture of this row of shops when they stood derelict for many years before finally being demolished in 2011

Harris' Bakery at 118 High Street South
Earmarked for demolition in 1965 for road widening.

And later in the 1960s
A W Jacques & Son
110 High Street South - Samuel Chettle to 1920
Jacques & Tinmpson later became A W Jacques & Son
follwed by Auto Electrical Services.

Galleon Cafe
Galleon Cafe - 93 High Street South - c1960

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us