Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Old Shops of Wellingborough Road

Some photographs of Wellingborough Road shops for which we
have little information but what is found in the Trade Directories.

If you have any pictures of shops we'd be very pleased to take copies.

Yeoman's and Iliffe's
The shop (left) has the name Yeomans, and
on the opposite corner is A Iliffe.
Neither is listed in the trade directories.
About 1905 when John Reid had moved to 142

126 Wellingborough Road
Advert from November 1908 when
another salon was opened at 76 High Street which had formerly been Jesse Dining Rooms.
c1905 - This shop at No. 126, on the corner with Station Road, was a hairdresser & tobacconist's kept by Charles Clark between 1903 & 1910.
It was taken over by Ernest Woolston, until 1935 when a change of use
to a general store followed and Bernard C Smith was the proprietor.
Rushden Echo, 19th Jan. 1917

Perfect Cleanliness
at
E J Woolston’s
Hair-dressing Saloon

126 Wellingborough-road, Rushden.

Rushden Echo, 16th Nov. 1917

At The Front
for all smokers’ requisites:

Tobacco, cigarettes, cigars,
in good condition
Woolston, tobacconist, Wellingborough-road, Rushden.


Rushden Argus, 25th May 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Tribunal - Hairdresser Exempted

Mr. E. J. Woolston, hairdresser and tobacconist (33 married), Wellingborough-road, Rushden, said it would be impossible to obtain a manager. He had been passed "€œA"€ but went with two others who were passed "€œA" and have since been discharged from the Army. He had had the business for four years, and it was one of the oldest established in the town.—€”Two months.


Rushden Echo, 13th April 1928
Rushden Echo, November 1928

Ernest Woolston

Rushden’s Leading
Ladies’ Hairdresser

126 Wellingborough-road.

Frank Purslow

Rushden Echo & Argus, May 1935


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us