Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

J G Swart - Optician


J G Swart first traded in Rushden from 9 High Street, in the early 1930s, but by 1940 he had moved into number 104, from where he traded until about 1980.

The new shop front of J G Swart, optician was very much out-of-character for our High Street.
It was designed to represent spectacles with the door as the nose on which they perched.

The black background was rather sombre but the design really took people's attention.

The shop and its clock
The shop and its clock were a High Street landmark in its day, but sadly not preserved.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us