Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Edward Warren - Butchers

Warren's in the snow Warren's
Edward Warren & Son - butchers - in the snow
E Warren & Son - vehicles outside the shop - 12 High Street

Edward Warren came to Rushden from Bishops Stortford, and he first traded from around 1895 at 81 Moor Road and the corner of Cromwell Road and Pratt Road. He took over the High Street premises of Mr. Albert Dickson (formerly R A Wheeler) in 1921. The company was re titled Edward Warren & Son and had now closed the Moor Road shop.

On 2nd June 1944 E Warren (Rushden) Ltd, became a registered company. The directors were Edith M Warren of 12 High Street, Morris G Warren of Brackendale, Knuston Spinney and Arthur Warren of 21a College Street Higham Ferrers. The business ceased in the 1970s.


Rushden Argus, 27th November 1903, transcribed by Greville Watson

A RUNAWAY

On Wednesday morning, soon after half-past nine o’clock, some alarm was caused in High-street South through the bolting of a pony belonging to Mr. E. Warren, butcher, Cromwell-road.  The man in charge was delivering meat at a house on the High Pavement, and left the horse and cart near the bottom of the Wymington-road.  Either the passing of another conveyance or some other cause frightened the pony, which started off at a rapid pace in the direction of the town.  Fortunately the road was fairly clear at the time, and the frightened animal reached the vicinity of the church without damage to anyone.  Here PC Webster was on duty, and at once sought to stop the runaway.  This he succeeded in doing, though in its attempts to escape the animal dragged him onto the pavement and against the iron railings of the Green.  It was fortunate that the officer succeeded at this point, as a number of children were playing in the road at the narrow bend just below.


Extract from a Council Meeting on 14th October 1921

A notice had been received from Messrs. E. Warren and Son to the effect that they had taken over the Slaughter-house lately in the occupation of Mr. Albert Dickson, of 12 High-street.



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us