Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Westward Hotel

The home of the Claridge family
Westward Hotel
Originally the villa home of Ebenezer Claridge, boot manufacturer
Later his nephew Charles lived here, then moved to Irchester Road and Ebenezer's son
Oliver moved here, it was then called 'Westward Ho'

invoice
1947 Whittington & Tomlin invoice to Mrs Samet (nee Claridge) with the address "Westward Ho".
1947 coke slip
A weigh slip for 7 cwt of coke 1947 to
Mrs Samet with the address as "Westward"

Rushden Echo & Argus, 3rd March 1950, transcribed by Kay Collins

Licence for Rushden Hotel Refused
An application by Mr. Peter Scaife Neville for a publican’s licence at Westward Private Hotel, Shirley Road, Rushden, was refused at the adjourned annual general licensing meeting at Wellingborough.

There were no objections to the application and the magistrates did not give their reasons for refusal.

Conditions which were suggested were that the licence should be a term licence for three and a quarter years, there should be no bar, intoxicating liquor should be served, sold or supplied only to residents and their guests and to non-residents having a meal.

Capt. J. S. Parker represented the applicant. Magistrates were Ald. A. Allebone (chairman), Mrs. J. Burkitt, Coun. J. Rowlatt and Mr. F. Green (Rushden).


Westward Hotel in 1967
By Willmott Photographic - Courtesy of Clive Wood
and inside the Foyer - note the Police station on the opposite
corner is visible through the window (right).

Letter head

A letterhead from 1987
When it was sold, it was renamed the Foxford Hotel but closed in about 2005.

Today it is flats Now called Foxford Court
In 2008 the building was converted into 8 flats - now called Foxford Court.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us