The Wellingborough News, 10th January 1885, transcribed by Jim Hollis
Alarm of Fire - Rushden Hall
About eight o’clock, on Sunday evening last, some little consternation was caused by the report that Rushden Hall, the residence of Mr. F. U. Sartoris, was on fire. The flames were quite visible, and crowds of people who had just left the various places of worship visited the spot, when, upon inquiry, it was found that the library chimney had caught fire. The flames raged fiercely, and some fear was expressed that the fine old family mansion was in danger. The roof was scaled, however, and wet sacks put over the chimney, and the flames were ultimately extinguished without further damage. The Fire Brigade was in readiness, but fortunately its services were not required.