Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Court Reports 1856 - 1865

14 June 1856 - Northampton Mercury

Elizabeth Cunnington, 1 month's hard labour, for leaving her children chargeable to the parish of Rushden. 

03 April 1858 - Northampton Mercury

A Word and BlowGeorge Bull, shoemaker, Rushden, was charged with assaulting Samuel Chettle, neighbour, and brother craftsman, by kicking him, and slapping his face, on the …... 

17 April 1858 - Northampton Mercury

Baker Denton, W. Packwood, and W. Freeman of Rushden, and W. Willis, of Moulton, all young men, were charged with shooting hare Yielden on the 1st inst. They pleaded guilty to offence. 

22 May 1858 - Northampton Mercury

Charles Lewis, blacksmith, Rushden, v. Samuel Pratt, clock-cleaner, Wymington. — Claim £2, for the wrongful detention of a watch. Plaintiff said that in June last he gave defendant the watch to repair, and had asked him for it several times, but he would not give him it. His Honour allowed plaintiff to amend his claim to £5, saying if defendant still refused to give him the watch he might alter it to £10, as a tradesman has no right to detain his customers goods.……

16 October 1858 - Northampton Mercury

W’boro Petty Sessions: Measures seized in the statute fair, on the 18th of September, by the Inspector of Weights and Measures: Samuel Chettle, dealer, Rushden, for using one unjust pot measure, and one unstamped half-pint measure, on a stall at Wellingborough fair, on the 23d September by the Inspector of Weights and Measures...…

29 October 1859 - Northampton Mercury

William and Thomas Barwick, shoemakers, were charged with entering the poultry yard of Mr. Thomas Wyles, farmer, of Rushden, on the Saturday night previous, and stealing therefrom a quantity of hens and pigeons. Thomas Barwick turned evidence, and was liberated. William was committed to prison to hard labour for one month. Those with the guns, named Wood, Clarke, and Denton, have absconded.

10 December 1859 - Northampton Mercury

Owen Sykes, butcher, of Rushden, charged Frederick Cox, and Ann his wife, with having, on the 15th of November, stolen six pounds of mutton. Prosecutor said he had for some time been suspicious of both prisoners. On the evening in question, about eight o’clock, he left his shop for another part of the village on business. Remembered leaving almost eight pounds of a leg of mutton on a board in the shop-window. On returning towards the shop he met Ann Cox with something concealed under her shawl, and suspected she had stolen the meat. He told the policeman the circumstances, who next morning brought the man Cox and the mutton. Can swear that the meat produced was his property.—William Page, police-constable at Rushden, went to Cox’s house and found the meat produced, a portion of which was at the time before the fire. Asked Frederick Cox how he came by it. He said he had bought it. Asked him where he had purchased it, when his reply was, “That is my business I’ll not tell you.” His wife had the same tale, but afterwards said she had found it on the road.—The charge against Ann was withdrawn, and her husband was sentenced to one month’s imprisonment with hard labour.

Northampton Mercury, 07 July 1860

John Denton, of Rushden, charged --- Luddington, of the same place, with assaulting him on 25th June. Complainant and defendant were both shareholders in a co-operative store, in Rushden, but as the concern did not work well, a meeting of the shareholders was called, who resolved to break up the above. Luddington claimed as his share of the property, the scales and weights, which was not allowed and sometime after he went into Denton’s house, which was also the shop of the society, and demanded the scales and weights. He decided to forcibly take possession of them, and a struggle ensued, and Luddington knocked out one of Denton’s teeth. He denied holding a 2lb weight in his fist. Witnesses were called. Luddington was fined 10s with 10s. 6d. expenses.

Northampton Mercury, 01 September 1860

Thomas Childs, of Rushden, was charged with shooting a hare, at Poddington, on the 11th of August, without having a game certificate. He did not appear ....

Northampton Mercury, 15 September 1860

W’boro Police Court
Assault at Rushden—John Kingston, County Court bailiff, summoned Baker Deighton for assaulting and obstructing - him the execution of his duty ........ The case was dismissed.

Northampton Mercury, 03 November 1860

Joseph Rice, of Rushden, who was committed last week to Bedford Gaol on a charge of obtaining money under false pretences, took his trial at the Bedford Borough Quarter Sessions on Monday last, when he pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to four months’ imprisonment with hard labour.

Northampton Mercury, November 23rd 1861, transcribed by Susan Manton

Poaching: W. Day, a somewhat notorious character for game offences, of Rushden, was charged by Mr. Spencer, Game Keeper to J. Gibbard Esq., with searching for rabbits in the parish of Sharnbrook, on Sunday the 3rd inst. The gamekeeper, it appeared, caught him at the fact, along with another man, who ran away. Day did not appear, but service of the summons was proved by Police Constable S. Haynes. He was convicted and fined £2 and costs, or to be imprisoned for two months with hard labour. Mr. Gibbard took no part in the hearing of the case.

Northampton Mercury, February 8th 1862, transcribed by Susan Manton

J. Chapman v J. Odell. Claim £1 19s 11d for rent and barley meal, Mr. Murphy for defendant. The defendant occupied a cottage at Rushden, belonging to plaintiff, by whom he was employed to work a machine thrashing barley meal. The defendant said the rent was always stopped out of his wages every week and he did not owe anything at all. The last time he paid him was in September, and then he paid him 17s out of 27s that was due to him for wages. The plaintiff could produce no account book where the rent was entered and defendant had nothing to show for having paid for the barley meal. Verdict for plaintiff for £1 7s 5d the amount of the meal. To pay 6s per month.

The Northampton Mercury, June 14th 1862, transcribed by Susan Manton

Game Trespass—William Day, of Rushden, surrendered himself on a charge of trespassing in search of game, in October last, on land at Newton, belonging to Lord St. John. There were two other parties in the case, who had both suffered for the offence, but prisoner absconded, and a warrant was issued against him in November last to which he surrendered today. Mr. Rogers, for the prisoner, attempted to prove an alibi, but the case was proved and he was fined £1 5s and costs £1 0s 6d or six weeks imprisonment. Paid.

Northampton Mercury, 18 October 1862 

W’boro Petty Sessions - Rushden—Joseph Iliffe, Geo. Denton, and W. Childs, three youths, were charged with stealing a quantity of apples from an orchard …….

Northampton Mercury, November 15th 1862, transcribed by Susan Manton

Rushden – Robbery from Till

Mr. Rd. Pasilow, beerseller and shopkeeper, of the above village, charged George Hanger, a youth, 17 years of age, with stealing a quantity of silver and a drawer from his house, on the 3rd of November. The prosecutor said prisoner came in for some tobacco and he served him; prisoner went away and prosecutor left the shop to draw some beer. Presently after Mary Green, his housekeeper came home from an errand and asked him if he had been and taken the money from the drawer; he said “No”; and she said the small drawer and the money has gone. He then sent for the police. Mary Green deposed to seeing the prisoner standing against the back door; she found that the money was gone and from seeing the prisoner standing near she suspected that he had taken it. W. Day deposed to going in soon after the money was missed and on being told who was suspected, he went in pursuit of him; and when prisoner saw him he began to run and he pursued him until he jumped in a hedge; saw him put his hand behind him. Witness then searched where he had put his hand and found a pound’s worth of silver in the hedge bottom. Police Constable Hurst deposed to finding the box produced on a dung hill. Prosecutor identified the box as the one taken from the drawer. He found some silver upon him when he searched him. The prisoner pleaded guilty and it being his first offence he was sentenced to three weeks hard labour.

Northampton Mercury Saturday March 28th 1863, transcribed by Susan Manton

Rushden – Stealing Hay. Edward Chettles, a hawker, was charged with stealing a quantity of hay, value 9d, from a stack on the premises of F. Sartoris Esq., of Rushden. The hay was missed from the stacks on the 8th March by W. Rhodes, farm bailiff for prosecutor, and he gave information to police-constable Hurst, and they both traced the litter of hay from the stack to prisoner’s yard and found the hay produced on his premises. The bailiff could not swear to the hay, but it was exactly like that in the stacks, and prisoner could give no account of how he came by it. There was no other hay about on the prisoner’s premises. Prisoner pleaded not guilty. He said the charge had been brought against him from spite. The prosecutor’s bailiff said he was requested by Mr. Sartoris to recommend prisoner to mercy in consideration of his wife and family. He was sentenced to one month’s hard labour.

Northampton Mercury, 28 March 1863  

Committed to Northampton County Gaol
Edward Chettle, for one calendar month, hard labour, for stealing hay, at Rushden. 

In the same paper - Wellingborough Petty Sessions
Edward Chettle - charged for stealing hay from F U Sartoris, Rushden Hall ....

J. Knight was summoned for refusing to contribute towards the maintenance of his aged father now chargeable to the parish. Defendant had refused to appear. Warrant issued.

Northampton Mercury – 10th October 1863

Rushden – Assault on Police

Thos. Clayton and Baker Denton, the latter of whom did not answer to the summons, were charged by P.C. Perkins with having assaulted him on the 20th of September, at Rushden. Complainant deposed to being called by the landlord of the Wagon and Horses to put a stop to some parties who were fighting, and on attempting to remove Baker Denton he became very violent and assaulted him, and Clayton came behind him in the passage and tried to prevent him putting Denton out, and struck him, and tore his coat.—The evidence was corroborated by P.C. Hurst.—Defendant brought a witness on his behalf, but his evidence was rather corroborative of that of complainant.—Defendant was fined £1 and 14s. costs. Paid.

Northampton Mercury, November 7th 1863, transcribed by Susan Manton

Trespass - Rushden – John Cuthbert and Charles Vorley, two young men of Irthlingborough, were charged by Mr. John Gross, of Rushden Lodge, with trespassing on a meadow in his occupation in search of game. Smith Wilmer, a labourer, deposed to seeing the defendants about three o’clock in the afternoon of Sunday the 25th October, in the meadow. Cuthbert had a gun, and Vorley was beating the hedge with a stick. He went up to them, and told them they had no right to be there, when Vorley said “What is it to you, you ---“ and after some words had passed between them Vorley knocked him down and he was struck with a stick as he was on the ground. Both the defendants denied most positively that they were there, and produced several witnesses to prove that they were not from home at that particular time, but the witness swore positively to both of them as being the parties he had seen. He had known Vorley five or six years, and knew the other so as to be able to swear positively to his identity. As there was considerable discrepancy in the evidence brought to refute the charge, the Bench were of the opinion that the charge was fully proved and Vorley was fined 30s and costs and Cuthbert 15s and costs. They were committed to prison in default of payment, Vorley to six weeks and Cuthbert to three weeks, with hard labour.

Northampton Mercury, December 5th 1863, transcribed by Susan Manton

RushdenJesse Underwood charged Joseph Lambert with assaulting him on the 23rd of November, at the above village. The complainant said there was a band playing in the street, when defendant came behind him, pulled his nose, knocked him down and kicked him when he was down. The evidence of complainant was corroborated by Mary Betts, who saw the assault committed. Defendant denied that he knocked him down, but admitted tweaking his nasal organ. Fined 5s and 16s costs. Committed for 14 days hard labour in default of payment. The defendant was further charged with assaulting and beating Sarah Mayes, by knocking her down and injuring her side, and taking her breath away for a considerable period. She was ill for two days from the effects of the assault. This case was also fully proved and he was further fined £1 and costs 15s. He was committed in default of payment for one month hard labour.                       

Rushden - Joseph Palmer and Josiah Allen were charged with stealing straw value 2d from a stack, the property of F.U. Sartoris Esq. on the 26th inst. The charge was proved by the evidence of Smith, Wilmer and police constable Hurst, and they were committed to prison for six weeks hard labour.

Northampton Mercury, 7th May 1864, transcribed by Susan Manton

Vagrancy—A tramp who gave the name of James Phillips, but in whose every feature Patrick O’Sullivan was deeply engraved, was charged with vagrancy at Rushden on the 28th of April. The prisoner was the most perfect specimen of an incorrigible vagabond we have ever set eyes upon. He was picturesque in the highest degree in his appearance. Salvator Ross would after an enthusiastic embrace have transferred him to canvas and immortalised him. He was a fine, tall, well built ruffian, with a delightful melodramatic scowl that ought to bring him in 50s per week in any East End theatre. His coat was admitted to be a mystery, even by the police. Behind and before nothing but a wreck presented itself; his neckerchief was tied in a Belsher knot, which was all on one side and pointed ominously to the burr of his ear. It appeared that on the previous day he had begged in Rushden and had also got gloriously drunk, and seeing the photograph of a policeman hanging outside a public house among other portraits, he smashed the frame with his shillelagh. The prisoner, although of such distinguished appearance, was a man of few words being uttered in a fine unctuous Hiberian brogue. The case of vagrancy was fully proved, and he was sentenced to one month’s imprisonment, with hard labour.

Northampton Mercury, 27th August 1864, transcribed by Susan Manton

An unwelcome lodger. George Maddison, a shoemaker, of Rushden, was brought up in custody, charged with being, on Saturday morning, the 14th instant, in the house of Robert Holland, labourer, for an unlawful purpose. Elizabeth Holland, wife of the prosecutor, deposed to being awakened out of her sleep by hearing a noise in her bedroom between one and two o’clock on the morning of the 14th. The room is divided by a sheet hanging across and there is a window in each part. She and her husband sleep in one part and the family in the other. On hearing the noise she struck a light and went on the other side of the sheet and found a man lying down by the side of her eldest daughter’s bed. She said “Who are you and what do you want?” He said “Oh nothing, it’s all right; you know me I’m George Maddison; I only want lodgings. She said “If you don’t follow me down stairs directly, and be off, I’ll shoot you”; but instead of following her he jumped out of the front bed-room window, a distance of eight feet and made off. The talking woke her eldest daughter, who was very much frightened. She found the back bedroom window opened; it is only a little distance from the ground and could easily be reached by any one standing in the garden. A piece of paper stuck over a broken pane had been removed and the window unfastened. Police Constable Sergeant Bamford deposed to being on duty that morning. He was going past the cottage soon after and heard Mrs. Holland talking ou of the window and telling some of the neighbours what had happened. It was between one and two o’clock. When he got nearer she told him that George Maddison had broken into her house, and she wished he had been there a little sooner, for if there was any law she would have it. He examined the window at the back of the cottage and found it opened as described. He went the same morning to Rushden and found the prisoner in bed at ten o’clock. On being charged with the offence he denied that he had been there at all. He then took him into custody. Caroline Holland, eldest daughter of the prosecutor, a girl about 18 years old, gave corroborative evidence as to being awoke out of her sleep by the altercation between her mother and the prisoner. He was lying beside her bed. On being questioned by the Bench witness said that prisoner was not there by her knowledge or consent, and that she had not seen him to speak to for nine or ten months. The prisoner, a young man apparently about nineteen years old, was undefended and upon the usual questions being put to him declined to make any statement. He was fully committed to take his trial.

Northampton Mercury, 27th September 1864, transcribed by Susan Manton

Commitments to the Northampton County Gaol
Thomas Lack, seven days hard labour, for stealing walnuts, at Rushden. Frederick Cox and James Thompson, seven days’ hard labour each for wilful damage at Rushden.

Northampton Mercury, 22nd October 1864, transcribed by Susan Manton

Stealing Money. George Leach 24, labourer, was placed in the dock, charged with having stolen £2 15s, in coppers, the property of Thomas Pinnock, at Rushden, on the 1st October. He pleaded guilty to stealing £1 and was committed to prison for six calendar months, with hard labour. The Chairman in passing sentence said the prisoner had taken advantage of a trust reposed in him, and knowing where the money was kept, he had taken out a bag of coppers and had then proceeded to Northampton. He, however, was soon caught, and he could assure him he would soon be caught again if he were guilty of a similar offence.

Northampton Mercury, 15th April 1865, transcribed by Susan Manton

Assault - Josiah Bailey, James Bailey, Thomas Sergeant, William Linford and J. Lambert were charged by Police Constable Burton, the Rushden policeman, with assaulting and beating him on the night of the 31st inst.

From the evidence of complainant it appeared that a mob of persons, between two and three hundred in number, were engaged in parading the effigies of two persons round, who had shocked the high moral feeling of the said mob, and the policeman, in endeavouring to put a stop to the hubbub, was roughly handled. He took possession of the effigies and threw them into Mr. Blott’s farmyard which they invaded and regained possession of them and burnt them as a sacrifice to their outraged feelings. Complainant said that Lambert struck him first and all the others more or less ill-used him, and he was obliged to use his own staff in self defence. Some stones were thrown and one caught him on the back of his head and injured him considerably. Mrs. E. Baxter, and Mary Betts were called for the defence, but their evidence was very contradictory, both of them trying to prove too much.

They were fined, Lambert 15s and cost 7 6d, the other defendants 10s each and costs 7s 6d. All paid but Lambert, who was committed for three weeks hard labour in default.

Northampton Mercury, 15th April 1865, transcribed by Susan Manton

Assault - J. Lambert and G. Clayton were charged by Hannah Gilbert with assaulting her daughter, a little girl 12 years of age on the 31st March. This case arose out of the former one. It appeared that the mob had congregated in front of the house of complainant, to burn the effigies and according to the evidence of complainant the defendants threw stones in her house, one of which caught her daughter on the head. The child was only slightly hurt, and the bench dismissed the charge on the defendants paying the costs, 6s 3d each. Clayton paid the money and Lambert was further committed to prison for seven days hard labour.

Northampton Mercury, 15th April 1865, transcribed by Susan Manton

Wymington. William Day, 30, of Rushden, knacker, was summoned by Thomas Childs, of the same place, gamekeeper, for shooting a hare at Wymington, on the 29th inst. Defendant did not appear, and the case, having been proved in his absence, he was fined £5 and 16s and 6d costs, or in default three months hard labour. The constables for the different parishes attended and were sworn in for the ensuing year.

Northampton Mercury, 10th June 1865, transcribed by Susan Manton

G. Garley v Hopkins and Church, trustees of a benefit society, held at Wymington, Mr. Murphy appeared for the plaintiff. The defendants did not appear. Mr. Murphy said his client was an aged man and lived at Rushden, and had been a member of the club for more than thirty years. Some time ago he had underwent an operation at the Opthalmic Hospital, which rendered him chargeable to the funds of the club, but they refused him the full benefit, and he then brought an action to recover a month’s sick pay, but His Honour, unfortunately, could not adjudicate, as the society was not enrolled, and plaintiff lost the action. Since that time the rules of the club had been certified by Mr. Tidd Pratt according to the Act. Plaintiff had sent his contributions as usual, the last time on the 3rd of April last, when he sent 1s 6d, a month’s money by his nephew. The money was taken, but the same evening the club voted him out, and the money was returned. Now that the club was enrolled he asked, on behalf of his client, that he might be re-instated in the society with privileges of membership. He called John Elson, a nephew of plaintiff, who was an unwilling witness, who gave evidence of having taken the contributions of plaintiff in April, of the money being accepted, returned and the plaintiff voted out. His Honour said the club had acted in a most unjust, harsh and cruel manner towards the plaintiff, and the trustees had not appeared to show any cause for their conduct. He should not be doing his duty if he did not order him to be re-instated in the society again, with all the privileges of membership and in default of the refusing to accept him, he should order it to pay a penalty of £60.

Northampton Mercury, October 21st 1865, transcribed by Susan Manton

Edwin Chettle, horse dealer, was summoned by Mr. John Goss, farmer of Rushden Lodge, for having on several recent occasions permitted his horse to stray and graze roadside herbage over which he has the sole right. Complainant said the thing had happened so frequently of late that he felt compelled to put a stop to it. His horse had once shied, and he was very nearly thrown out of the gig through it taking fright at one of the defendant’s horses, as he was driving home at night. He had ordered them to be pounded several times, but the defendant swore so awfully at the pinner that the old man was in fear of him. Complainant withdrew on of the charges on defendant promising not to offend again and he was fined 5s and costs 13s. Paid.

Court Reports Index

Click here to return to the Fire, Police & Crime index
Click here to e-mail us