Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

In Date Order
3 policemen
3 of Rushden's Policemen - we don 't have names or date - near the Church
PC395 - we don't have his name
We believe he may be related to Kathleen Bradley (died 2006)

Northampton Mercury, 13th September 1845

Wellingborough Petty Sessions - Beer House Case - Thos. Rootham, of Newton Bromswold, was charged by Robert John Southwell, the Rushden policeman, with keeping his house open for the sale of beer after ten o'clock at night. Mr. Murphy, who appeared on the part of Mr. Rootham, by questioning the policeman, elicited such a catalogue of misdeeds, that the magistrates stopped the investigation, and said there was enough already acknowledged on the part of the policeman to prove that he was unfit for such service, and ordered superintendent Knight too see that his case was properly represented to Chief-constable Goddard. The charge was dismissed.

Northampton Mercury, 30 January 1847 

Joe's Double G—Joseph Ager, better know as "Go Down Joe" was charged with assaulting Margaretts, the Rushden constable. To this charge Joseph offered the following defence: I was down double G, a singing "The Wolf," when Master Billy .......

Staff Notes from Newspapers
Wellingborough & Kettering News, December 4th, 1880, transcribed by Kay Collins

Alleged Indecent Assault by a Police-Constable at Rushden
John Tack, police-constable, stationed at Rushden, was charged with indecently assaulting Elizabeth Cox, wife of Ebenezer Cox, landlord of the New Inn, Rushden. [for full report see Court Reports 1880s]

Wellingborough News, 15th November 1884, transcribed by Kay Collins

POLICE INTELLIGENCE—We are informed that P.C. Lyman, of Rushden, has been transferred to Towcester, and will be succeeded by P.C. Blackman, from Towcester.

Rushden Argus, December 1889, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident to Police Inspector—Last Saturday afternoon, Inspector Phenix and his son (Mr F Phenix) were driving from Rushden to Wellingborough, and when they were between the ‘Oakley Arms’ and Mr Sanders’ Lodge, from some cause or other the horse shied, and in doing so broke a portion of the harness. This further frightened the animal, and he plunged so that he broke the other harness, and got clear of the trap. Inspector Phenix was pitched out head foremost, and was very badly shaken, and injured his shoulder and arm, but, fortunately, no bones were broken. The refractory horse was stopped by some labourers near Mr. Turnell’s farm.

Rushden Echo and Argus, 18th February 1898

Much Sympathy is felt for P.C. Ellingham, of Rushden, whose infant son, Henry Alfred, died on Wednesday morning from consumption of the brain.
The Argus 27th May 1898,

Local Notes - P.C. Cross has been removed from Kettering to Rushden.
Rushden Echo, Friday July 15, 1898 transcribed Sue Manton

Police changes:- P.C. Stevenson has been removed from Northampton to Rushden.

Rushden Echo, Friday October 7, 1898 transcribed Sue Manton

Falling down in a fit at the corner of Church Street on Monday, George Williams, living on the Rock, sustained a nasty scalp wound by striking his head against the flag stone. P.S. Birrill rendered first aid, dressing the wound.

Rushden Echo, 29th June 1900, transcribed by Kay Collins

AppointmentP.C. Swann, lately stationed at Rushden, has been appointed assistant clerk in the office of the Chief Constable, Northampton.

The Rushden Echo, 22nd April, 1910, transcribed by Jim Hollis

Young Man Shot ...
Reaching the yard just as Baker had shot himself, P.S. Ellingham and P.C. Packer rushed up and prevented the unfortunate young man from inflicting further injury upon himself.
[extract from a longer article]

The Rushden Echo, 13th May 1910, transcribed by Jim Hollis

Rushden and the New King
P.S. Ellingham was in charge of the police arrangements, and Constables Pollard, Kearns, Webster, Packer, Gotch, and Martin were in attendance.
[extract from a longer article]

Rushden Echo, 26th August 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown

Presentation to Supt. Onan - On Saturday at Northampton, ex-Superintendent Onan, of Wellingborough, for 29 years in the Northants Constabulary, was the recipient of a presentation from his brother officers. Supt. Andrews (Towcester) presided. The gift was a solid silver tea and coffee service, on which was the inscription:- “Presented to Superintendent a Onan by the Superintendents of the Northamptonshire Constabulary on his retirement after 29 years’ service, July, 1910 — Supt Andrews said that was the first opportunity the officers of the county had had of meeting together to give Supt Onan an official farewell. Mr. Onan had done great credit, both to himself and his county. During the whole time they had served together the relations between Supt Onan and his brother officers had been as true and happy as could be imagined. — Supt. Hooper endorsed the remarks of Supt. Andrews, — Mr. Onan in reply, expressed the hope that he had fulfilled his duty to the public as he had tried to do.

Wartime Service
The Rushden Echo 9th July 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Policeman Promoted in the Army
Police-constable Sawford, of Rushden, who recently joined the R.F.A., and has been transferred to the Scottish Rifles, has been promoted to be lance-corporal.
P.C. Mobbs and P.C. Martin, of Rushden, who joined the R.F.A., have also been transferred to the Scottish Rifles.

Rushden Echo, 9th March 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Soldier Wounded – A Former Police Constable – Injured a Second Time
News has been received that Pte. Geo. Mobbs, of the Scottish Rifles, formerly police constable at Rushden, has been wounded for the second time, and is in hospital at Levenshulme, Manchester, with the elbow of his left are smashed, the injury having been caused by a fragment of shell.

It appears that a shell burst at the entrance of the dug-out, wounding Pte. Mobbs, killing one of his comrades, and wounding two others.

Pte. Mobbs is making satisfactory progress.

The Argus, 16th February 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Three Rushden Constables who Average 18 Stone

3 constables
We print a picture of two “Specials” and one “Regular” Constable who look after the well-being of Rushden. They are men of weight, for they average 18 stone. On the left is Mr. G. Bayes, of Griffith-street, who only weighs 16st. Next is P.C. Bonsor, tipping the beam with a bump at 20 stones. The third is Mr. H. Bates, of High-street, who goes a good 18½ stones. We understand they are open to match any three “Specials” in the county at anything—bar running.
Rushden Argus, 24th August 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Policeman Wounded
We learn that Pte. Martin, late of Rushden Police Force, has been wounded in the recent fighting. This is the second wound he has sustained. He joined up with P.C.s Mobbs and Sawford, of Rushden, and is in the Scottish Rifles.

Rushden Echo, 7th September 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Policeman Wounded - P.C. E W Martin in Hospital – Injured in the Thigh
We regret to report the Pte E W Martin, of the Scottish Rifles, formerly of the Rushden Police Force, has been wounded in the left thigh, and he is now in hospital at Stourbridge, Worcestershire. The news was sent by the injured soldier himself to P.S. Brumby, to whom he gives the information that the wound is not serious, and that he is progressing favourably.

This is the second time that Pte Martin has been wounded, the former occasion being about twelve months ago. He joined up on May 1st, 1915, and has been in France about two years.

Rushden Echo, 3rd May 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Casualty List - Inspector W J Bailey, Northants Constabulary, of Daventry, formerly of Rushden, has received official news that his son, Wireless-Operator Ernest Bailey, R.F.C., has died of wounds in Lincoln Hospital. Deceased was a chorister at St Peter’s Church, Rushden, and was also assistant organist.

Rushden Echo, 4th October 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

Retired - P.C. Bonsor, after 27 years and five months’ service in the Constabulary, retired from the force on Monday. For over six years he has been stationed at Rushden, where he has won for himself a host of friends by reason of his courteous conduct. Before joining the Police Force he was in the Army, being a non-commissioned officer in the 1st Scots Guards. During the whole of his career in the Police Force he has shown himself most assiduous in the performance of his duties, but at the same time he acted with discretion. He has now accepted an appointment as caretaker at the Co-operative Hall, Rushden.

The Rushden Argus, 9th April 1920

Inspector Hobell
Rushden’s New Police Chief

Inspector Hobell was promoted from the rank of Sergeant on April 1st, and is appointed to succeed Inspector Lawrence at Rushden.

Insp. Hobell

The Rushden Echo Friday May 23rd 1919, transcribed by Susan Manton

Police Transfers - Today (Friday) P.C. Sharman leaves Rushden for Blisworth, and is succeeded by P.C. Clifton, of Wellingborough. P.C. Sharman came to Rushden seven years ago. He served in France two years with the Royal Garrison Artillery and was demobilised a few months ago. He has the good wishes of his many friends in Rushden on his removing to Blisworth.

Rushden Echo, 11th July 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins

TransferP.C. Smith, of Rushden, has been transferred to Benefield, near Oundle, Northants.

Rushden Echo, 26th December 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins

PromotionsPolice-Sergeant G. W. Brumby, of Rushden, has been promoted to be Inspector, and will take charge of Thrapston district. P.C. Day, of Wollaston, has been promoted to be Sergeant, and will succeed P.S. Brumby at Rushden.

The Rushden Argus 21st April 1922, transcribed by Susan Manton

Inspector Hankins going to Rushden

Inspector Hankins
Inspector Hankins
On Monday Inspector Hobell leaves Rushden to take up his duties at Wellingborough and Inspector Hankins moves to Rushden to fill the vacancy. It is interesting to note that the new Inspector, who is now in the early forties, saw his first service in the police force at Rushden, donning the blue uniform there just over 17 years ago under Inspector Dunn. After six months at Rushden P.C. Hankins, as he was then, was transferred to Irthlingborough, where he was stationed for nine years. In 1914 he went to Wellingborough as an acting sergeant, and early the next year he was fully transferred and confirmed in his appointment as a sergeant. When the late Inspector Lawrence, of Wellingborough, was compelled by his illness to give up the duties of his office P.S. Hankins took them over, and he has carried them on up to the present time. His recent promotion to inspector’s rank came as an acknowledgement of his loyal service to the public. He has always been a keen officer and this characteristic has made him popular, not only with his superiors, but also with the general public, who realised that his efforts to enforce the law have never led him to be other than scrupulously fair.

Extract from an accident report 1928

... but for the prompt action of PC Jeffcoat, of Rushden, who jumped from another ’bus, applied first-aid measures, and stopped the bleeding.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 27th July 1934, transcribed by Kay Collins

Police ChangesP.C. J. Bobinson has removed from Wellingborough to take P.C. Beaton’s place at Rushden. P.C. Beaton has gone to Wilby.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 9th January 1948, transcribed by Kay Collins

Policeman Injured
Will the driver of any goods vehicle or anyone who was in the vicinity of the Tecnic Boot Co's factory in the Bedford Road, Rushden, about 5.20 p.m. on Monday communicate with the Rushden police?

Their co-operation is needed to trace the circumstances of an accident in which P.C. Arthur Ellis was seriously injured while on duty.

It is known that a double-decker bus was parked opposite the Tecnic factory waiting to take the workpeople back to Wellingborough. P.C. Ellis was cycling down the Bedford Road on duty, and as he passed the bus was knocked down by a goods vehicle, which, travelling in the same direction, did not stop. It is possible the driver may be unaware of the accident, and it is hoped that anyone who can throw any light on the situation will come forward.

P.C. Ellis, whose home is at 12, Beaconsfield Place, Rushden, was attended by Dr. B. W. Paine and taken by ambulance to Northampton Hospital with a fractured pelvis.

Rushden Echo and Argus, 19th March 1948, transcribed by Kay Collins

Constable Promoted - P.C. Waddell leaves Rushden
Police Constable O. Carr, of Walgrave, has been promoted to the rank of Sergeant, and will be transferred to Corby on Monday. He will be succeeded at Walgrave on March 30th by P.C. K. Waddell, at present at Rushden.
Rushden Echo and Argus, 3rd October 1948, transcribed by Kay Collins

Thirty Years Ago
Taken From Our Own Files Dated October 6, 1911
Ex. P.C. Webster, who was stationed at Rushden until August this year, was presented at Wellingborough Police Station on Monday with a handsome gold albert in recognition of his 26 years' service.


Goerge & Joan Ryves
Rushden Echo, 1st August 1952

Rushden's First—Rushden people were quick to note this week that the town has its first-ever policewoman on duty in their midst—but few have realised that the Rushden station has, in fact, its first husband-and-wife combination. Policewoman Joan Ryves and her police constable husband George have done 2½years in the Force. They moved here from Wellingborough and are living in Grove Road.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Fire, Police & Crime index
Click here to e-mail us