Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Men's Adult School
The Adult School c1950 breakfast time
This photo dates from the 1950s.
Note the building is shaped to fit the plot, and
the cottages off Duck Street behind.
The Adult School moved to this building in 1923.
Echo & Argus, 8th January 1932 - Early Breakfast
is to be served at the Rushden Men’s Adult School on a Sunday in the near future. A similar event at Bedford last Sunday was a great success.

Evening Telegraph, 30th August 1940

Men's School
"A message of hope for the exiles" was delivered by the Rev. A. Binney at the Men's Adult School meeting on Sunday, Mr. B. V. Page and others took part in a short discussion, and there was a solo, "The Coming Triumph" by Mr. Fred Ingram, of Wisbech, formerly choirmaster at the Rushden school.

Mr. Stanley James presided and Mr. P. Bridgment was the pianist.

The Rushden Echo, 17th October 1947, transcribed by Kay Collins

School Founder Dies
A founder of the Rushden Adult School, Mr. Charles Smith, of 54, Higham Road, Rushden, died on Wednesday evening at the age of 84. He had been ailing for about a year. [extract from obituary]

Rushden Echo, 6th February 1948, transcribed by Kay Collins

Men’s School
Addressing the Men’s Adult School on Sunday morning, Mr. Stephen Langham, the Rushden phrenologist, took as his subject “The Nature of Man”. Mr. W. Parrott presided and Mr. S. T. Beal was the pianist.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Education index
Click here to e-mail us