Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Wellingborough News, 14th February, 1902, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Singular Fatal Accident at Rushden
Harry Carvell
On Tuesday evening a number of boys were playing in Newton-road, Rushden, when one named Harry Carvell, 15 years of age, son of William Carvell, shoe finisher, of Grove-street, fell and struck his head against the ground. The injury was not then considered serious, and the boy went home complaining of a headache. In the morning the lad was no better, and as the day went on grew worse, dying about mid-day.

An inquest was held on the body of the deceased yesterday evening, before Mr. J. C. Parker, deputy county coroner, in the Vestry Hall, Rushden. Mr. Samuel Knight was chosen foreman of the jury.

William Carvell, 59, Grove-street, said that the body was that of his son, Harry Carvell, who was 15 years of age last July. Witness did not know anything about the accident, but saw the deceased on Tuesday night at eleven o’clock, when he was asleep. About 2.30 the next morning deceased was very sick, but went off to sleep again. Witness asked the deceased how the accident happened, and he replied that he was playing “stag” opposite the school. Witness thought he meant the National Schools in High-street, but found afterwards that it was the Newton-road Schools. He said he was playing “stag” and fell down. Witness asked him how he was at 6.30, and he replied he felt very “rough,” meaning he was ill. Deceased did not see him again. Witness’ wife stayed with the deceased, and took him up some milk about eleven o’clock, but upon returning to the room at 11.15 she saw a change had taken place, and called a neighbour.

A juryman: You did not think it necessary to send for a doctor?

Witness: No; there was no mark or sign of anything except a little swelling. He slept all night. He walked home by himself.

George Thomas Busby, a clicker, of Rushden, said that he was with the deceased in Newton-road between 8 and 8.30 playing “stag.” Deceased caught his toe against a curb, and fell heavily. A man picked him up, and took him to Brown’s window, and stood him there. He seemed dazed at first, but recovered, and walked home. Witness walked with him, and deceased did not make any complaint. It was purely an accident. There were no slides near where deceased fell.

The foreman of the jury said that there were slides along the road at this spot.

Frederick Ambridge, rough stuff sorter, said he saw several boys playing, and one of them fell heavily on the ground. He did not fall as though he kicked against the curb, but his feet slid out from under him. Deceased was stunned, and witness examined his head, but could not find any marks. He got better gradually, and witness left him. Deceased walked away. Witness could not see any slide where this happened, but the paths were very slippery, and he had to walk with caution.

Dr. Bromilow deposed to being called to the deceased at 12.10 on Wednesday. He found him dead. Witness made a superficial examination, and found a large swelling on the side of the head. There was nothing to account for death. Witness made a post mortem examination that afternoon, and found a fracture of the skull three inches long, depressed for the first half inch. There was a large clot of blood on the surface of the brain. Death was due to rupture of the blood vessel by the fractured bone. The ruptured vessels caused a compression of the brain, which caused death. It was a very bad fracture indeed. He did not think the parents were to blame in not calling the doctor earlier. It was possible for a man to do a day’s work with a fracture.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Health & Welfare index
Click here to e-mail us