|Herbert BURLAND, MRCS, LRCP (18631921) by Barrie MacKay
Hailing from Wigan in Lancashire, the son of an oil merchant and grease manufacturer, Dr Burland, after qualifying to practise medicine in 1888, joined Dr John Crew of Manor House, Higham Ferrers, initially as Dr Crew’s assistant and later as his practice partner.
By 1894, the partnership of Dr Crew, Dr Charles Richard Owen of Highfield House, Park Road, Rushden, and Dr Burland was well established (Crew, Owen & Burland, surgeons, Highfield House). Finedon was where Dr Burland lived. Upon the inauguration of the Burton Latimer Cottage Homes scheme in 1897, Dr Burland was appointed Medical Officer.
Kelly's Directory of 1898 records that at Finedon, Dr Burland (still in the partnership of Crew, Owen & Burland) was surgeon & medical officer of health to the urban district council & medical officer & public vaccinator for Finedon District, Wellingborough Union. In addition, he was at that stage visiting Burton Latimer three times per week to hold surgeries ("attends mon, wed & sat from 2.30 to 5pm"). His marriage to Mabel Harriet Brown Lane of Rothwell took place the same year. (when he died in 1921 he left a widow and two daughters).
Taken from Burton Latimer website, by kind permission