Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Accidents 1910 - 1920
Rushden Echo, 11th March 1910, transcribed by Kay Collins

Some Alarm was caused in High-street on Saturday at 12.45 by a horse drawing a heavy cart bolting near the railway bridge. The horse rattled the cart along High-street. P.C. Jowers, who was near, got hold of the bridle and after a prolonged struggled succeeded in bringing the frightened animal to a standstill near the shop of Mr G Hall, draper. P.S. Ellingham was in High-street at the time and ran to the assistance of P.C. Jowers.

Rushden Echo, 26th August 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown

Accident – A pony and trolley owned by Mr S Colson, of Harborough Road, met with a mishap at the bottom of Victoria Road on Saturday. The pony had reached the foot of the hill when it slipped down, but it was soon assisted to its feet again with no apparent injury. One of the trolley shafts was broken.

Rushden Echo, 2nd September 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown

Cricket AccidentMr Archibald Ablett, of Rushden, met with a nasty accident while playing for Rushden in the match Raunds v Rushden 2nd, at Raunds on Saturday. Mr Ablett was keeping wicket, when the ball struck him on the upper lip, cutting it clean through. The bowler was Mr Ette. Dr Owen attended to the injuries, and Mr Ablett is progressing as well as can be expected.

Rushden Echo, 2nd September 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown

Accident – A boy named Cyril Judd, of North Street, whilst playing with other children fell and sprained his right arm.

The Rushden Echo, 14th July 1911, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Rushden Man’s Brave Deed - Plucky Rescue of a Lad - Narrow Escapes
By the brave and commendable conduct of Mr. Lawrence Cox, of Rushden, a boy of about nine years of age has been saved from drowning in the River Nene, at the Wharf, Higham Ferrers, on Saturday.

At about 12.15 p.m. the boy in question, Fred Bettles, of Little-street, Rushden, was bathing in the Nene. Instead of entering the water to the bathing place, he crossed the bridge and got in exactly opposite the “Anchor.” The water is very shallow there for a few feet out, when there is a sheer drop of several feet. The lad was trying to swim, but finding the water too shallow he walked farther out, with the result that he slipped off the ledge into deep water.

Interviewed by a “Rushden Echo” representative, Mr. Cox said: “I was standing at the bathing place with my little boy, when I heard some boys screaming. I did not see the lad in the water, but someone said there was a boy drowning. I ran round the back of the ‘Anchor,’ over the bridge to the other side. I was told he had been down

Under Water Three Times
I jumped into the water without taking any of my clothes off, and when I got to the boy he was unconscious. I caught hold of his arm and then seized his head. I was very much out of breath with running and the exertion in the water, but with difficulty I got near the bank. I found I could touch the bottom and was just getting on my feet when I slipped. As luck would have it I fell towards the bank, otherwise it would have gone hard with us. The boy was pulled up the bank, and then I was able to get out myself. Previous to this I had not been in the water for nine years.”

Mrs. Middleton, of the “Anchor,” told our representative that she had no idea anyone was in the river until she saw a boy fetching her pole. She asked him what he wanted it for, and he said: “There is a boy in the river.” Mrs. Middleton called her son and he found Mr. Cox in the river supporting the boy. He took the lad from Mr. Cox, and by vigorous rubbing succeeded in bringing him round. He afterwards walked home. Mr. Cox is to be highly commended for his plucky act, happily so successful in life-saving.

Rushden Echo, 10th November 1911, transcribed by Kay Collins

A Trap Accident occurred in the High-street on Tuesday afternoon. Mr. W. W. Smith was being driven up the street towards the Church by his daughter Muriel, accompanied by his son Wilsey, and when passing the Post Office the horse was startled, evidently by a street piano, and swerved to the off-side, the wheel colliding with a wagon and snapping both shafts. The occupants were precipitated into the road in all directions, but happily escaped with a few bruises and a shaking.

Rushden Echo, 10th November 1911, transcribed by Kay Collins

AccidentMr. Harry Boyce, M.R. drayman, had a nasty experience on Friday evening last. While loading goods from Messrs. Cunnington Bros.’ factory a box fell over, pinning his right arm and breaking a small bone just above the wrist. Dr. Greenfield set the injured limb and the patient is now doing nicely, though he will not be fit for work for some weeks to come. Mr. Boyce’s brother strained the cords of his ankle very badly about a fortnight ago and is still unable to resume work.

Rushden Echo, 19th July 1912

A Gas Explosion, which wrought considerable havoc but fortunately involved nobody in serious personal injury, occurred at 34 Newton-road, the residence of Mr. W. J. Barker, on Saturday evening. Mr. Barker, who had a gentleman friend with him at the time, was in the act of lighting the gas in the back room downstairs, when a terrific explosion took place and Mr. Barker and his friend were thrown some distance. Practically the entire ceiling was blown down and the boards of the bedroom were lifted. The front room did not escape the havoc. Ornaments were smashed and the furniture thrown about, and these, intermingled with the fallen plaster, made a scene of great confusion. Mr. Barker, although his friend escaped injury, received a nasty cut across the top of the nose, and a blow at the back of the head, which raise a bump the size of an egg. It is thought that the cause of the explosion was an accumulation of gas between the bedroom floor and the ceiling of the living room.

Rushden Argus, 19th July 1912

William Sargent - Man Badly Crushed – Painful Injuries

A Rushden man named William Sargent, of Mannings-lane, met with a painful accident at Wymington on Tuesday night.

He was employed by Mr. Packwood, of Rushden, and was accompanying a motor wagon. We understand the unfortunate man was seated on the wagon and was shaken off and crushed between the vehicle and the engine.

Messrs. Church and Houghton, of Wymington, cycled to Rushden for Dr. Greenfield and the ambulance. The doctor arrived quickly and had the patient ready for conveyance to the Cottage Hospital by the time the wheeled litter arrived.

An examination showed that Sargent had sustained severe cuts about the head, hip, and bottom of the back. At first it was feared he was internally injured, but up to the time of writing it is believed that no bones are broken and that the injuries are not extremely dangerous.

Messrs. Frank and Fred Tobin, G. Faulkner, and E. Whitman, of the St. John Ambulance Brigade, were on the spot, and rendered first aid in a very creditable manner.

The Rushden Echo, 6th June, 1913, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Alarming Accident to Motor Cyclist - Between Higham Ferrers and Rushden - Machine Wrecked
An accident, probably the result of inexperience, occurred on Saturday last between Rushden and Higham Ferrers. Mr. Gates, wholesale fruiterer, Rushden, was driving a two-horse vehicle down the hill from Rushden to Higham and was on the proper side of the road. A motor-cycle with an empty side-car was coming up the hill, being driven by a lad of about 15 years of age, and a passenger, a man of about 35, was seated on the back of the cycle. The driver appeared to have but little control over the motor but was on the correct side of the road. The wheel of the side-car was running in the gutter and apparently caused some annoyance to the lad driving. By contriving a little, the driver was able to get the motor free of the gutter and he seemed to have gained complete control of his machine when it suddenly swerved across the road at right-angles immediately in front of Mr. Gates’s horses. Had the passenger been in the side-car instead of on the back of the cycle he would in all probability have been killed, as the horses leaped right over it, but he was thrown off the machine as it turned across the road. On the other hand, the balance of the machine might possibly have been preserved and no accident caused if the passenger had ridden in the car.

The front wheels of the horse-vehicle crushed the side car into little more than half its original dimensions. The driver was thrown right under the trolley, sustaining a nasty cut on the head, several bruises, and a bad shaking. With the assistance of some passers by, the driver and his companion, the latter of whom had escaped almost unhurt, were taken to a house close to, and the damaged motor was removed to Mr. D. Nicholson’s garage. The injured men were able to continue their journey by train.

It is said that the motor was the property of a Bedford firm of motor engineers but the motorists are not known. Mr. Gates was fortunately not hurt; one of his horses received a cut between its forelegs, but no damage was done to the vehicle.

Mr. Gates told a representative of the “Rushden Echo” that the motor was going at quite a moderate speed, but that the driver seemed too young and inexperienced, and that if the passenger had ridden in the side-car the lad might have had more control over the whole machine.

The Rushden Echo, 12th September, 1913, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Rushden Gardener’s Accident - Falls on to Spiked Railings - Painful Injuries
A terribly painful accident happened to Mr. Jesse Glennister, 45, of Beaconsfield-terrace, on Monday, about 12.30 p.m. Mr. Glennister, who has been employed by Mr. Fred Corby for about six months as gardener, was standing on the top of a step ladder trimming an apple tree, when, owing to a bough breaking, he fell on to some spiked railings. Two of the spikes penetrated his thigh and the poor man was quite unable to free himself.

He shouted for help, and the cries were heard by Mr. Alfred Robinson, sen., and Mr. J. Maddock, both of whom happened to be passing at the time. They instantly ran to the aid of the agonised man and released him. Mr. A. Robinson, jun., and Mr. Geo. Ambridge, of the St. John Ambulance, went immediately for the Athletic Club wheel litter and fortunately saw Dr. Baker en route. They notified the doctor of the accident and he was soon on the scene. After a superficial examination it was found that no bones were broken but that there were two rather deep wounds caused by the spikes penetrating the flesh. There were also several bruises from the fall.

The doctor ordered Mr. Glennister’s removal at once to his home. The sufferer was taken on the litter and put to bed, and the wounds properly attended to. There had been a considerable loss of blood, but Mr. Glennister is now making good progress, considering the nature of the accident.

Rushden Argus, 9th January 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Motor Mishap - Exciting Scene in a Rushden Street
Two motor-cyclists had an exciting experience outside the "Telegraph" Office, High-street, Rushden, on Sunday morning. For some reason they had stopped the engine at the bottom of Queen-street. The road was very muddy, and the bicycle and side-car heavy. They prepared to restart, the driver giving the outfit a hefty heave, and the engine obediently started. But it was in too great a hurry, for the driver was nearly left behind. However, he hung on to the handlebars and made a desperate jump for the pedal, and—missed. The ground then "slipped away from him," and he lay full length in the mud.

The cycle, left to its own caprice, swerved with sudden grace towards the inviting windows of ''The Louvre," and it looked as if the side-carist was soon to be inspecting articles of drapery. But no! When the cycle had mounted the causeway it changed its mind and stopped; stopped and refused to start again. So the perspiring and muddy owners pushed it to a local garage. We hope they subsequently reached London, their destination, without further mishap.

Children lost, and found 1914
Rushden Argus, 27th February 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Lady Cyclist Thrown by a Dog - In a Critical Condition
A terrible accident happened on Sunday morning on the Bedford-road, near Rushden, when a Rushden lady sustained extensive injuries.

We understand that Mrs. Agutta, of Bedford-road, was cycling to Rushden to go to church on Sunday morning, when she ran into a dog, and was thrown heavily to the ground. She sustained injuries to the skull and was rendered unconscious.

The injured lady was taken home and Drs. Greenfield and Davis were summoned. They ordered the patient's removal to Bedford Hospital, where she now remains in a critical condition, suffering from a fractured skull.

We understand that the unfortunate lady's friends were summoned to Bedford on Monday, so serious was the patient's condition regarded. However, on inquiry at Bedford Hospital on Tuesday morning we were told Mrs. Agutta was going on satisfactorily, but the authorities declined to give further particulars of the lady's condition or of the nature of her injuries.

Rushden Argus, 6th March 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Alarming Accident - Motor in a Rushden Front Garden
A very alarming accident occurred about noon on Tuesday, when a motor lorry, belonging to Mr. H. W. Chapman, box manufacturer, Rushden, dashed into a wall in Portland-road, Rushden.

The vehicle was being driven up Portland-road, and when taking the curve near the top, and approaching Cromwell road, the steering gear broke and the lorry became unmanageable. The driver turned off the engine, but the heavy vehicle swerved round to the left, mounted the causeway, and dashed into the front garden of No. 59. The railing and the wall were knocked down, but the machine stopped within a foot of the front window. Mechanics were quickly on the spot, and in a very short time spare wheels had been secured and fixed, so that the motor could continue its journey.

Rushden Argus, 10th April 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

A Runaway - Spectacular Accident at Rushden - Milk and Eggs in the Road
A portion of the Bedford-road near Rushden could on Wednesday be described as "land flowing with milk—and eggs" as the result of a spectacular accident.

This was the effect of an accident caused by a runaway horse. A horse, attached to a cart, belonging to Mr. R. Wheeler, butcher, Rushden, started off at a slow trot down the Newton-road, Rushden, and some children shouted at it to stop. This had the contrary effect, and the horse broke into a canter as it swerved round the Church corner on the way to Bedford.

Mr. Britten, of Chelveston, in a milk float, went after the animal. P.O. Crisp had a shot at stopping the runaway, and, failing, nearly boarded the pursuing vehicle. They clattered along, pursued and pursuing, the latter gaining on the former, and by the time they had got out of the town Mr. Britten and the constable were within a few yards of the runaway.

Then that evil jade, Miss Fortune, intervened putting a disconcerting finger in the pie just as everything was working out right.

Mr. Dickens was standing by his horse and cart on the roadside, and saw the approaching runaway. He did just as all other people do under similar circumstances—stood in the middle of the road and waved his hands. Mr. Wheeler's horse, usually a very docile creature, was alarmed at these series of unlooked-for adventures, and became more frightened than ever at this human windmill, and instead of charging the obstruction swerved and dashed into Mr. Dickens’ cart.

The result was, as we said, spectacular. The two vehicles locked together, overturned, and bumped along the road in a proper cinema picture heap, dragged by the frightened horses. Milk poured out, and a volley of "best new laid" struck the road with a crack and splash. This continued for about twenty yards, when progress further became a physical impossibility, even for a frightened horse.

The carts were damaged, but fortunately the horses escaped unhurt.

Rushden Argus, 26th June 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Accident - Car Jammed between Two Vehicles
An accident, which was fortunately not attended with serious damage or injury, took place in Washbrook-road, Rushden, on Friday morning. It appears that a trolley belonging to Mr. T. Swindall, and a trap belonging to Mr. A. T. Nichols, were driven towards the centre of the road just as Mr. T. Colson was attempting to pass between the vehicles in the car belonging to Mr. Robinson, of Hinwick. Neither of the drivers of the horse-drawn vehicles noticed the car, and a very bad accident was averted by Mr. Colson putting on the brakes hard. As it was the car's steering gear was damaged by its collision with the coal trolley, and the shafts of the latter were broken and the and mare thrown down. The driver of the trolley was jerked off between the cart and the horse, but was not hurt.

Rushden Argus, 2nd October, 1914, transcribed by John Collins

Broken Arm - Rushden Lad Falls off a Donkey
On Saturday evening last a lad named Albert Hewett, of Station-road, Rushden, was riding a donkey in Washbrook-road, Rushden, near the Feast Ground, when the animal threw him heavily to the ground. Miss Garratt and Miss Atkinson happened to be passing at the time and went to the lad’s assistance. They carried him home, and went for Dr Davis, who found the lad’s left arm had been broken in two places. Albert has been an unlucky lad, for he broke his thigh some months ago, and has since had measles, fever, and bronchitis. The lad’s father, too, has hardly recovered from a serious illness.

Rushden Argus, 16th October, 1914, transcribed by John Collins

Sad Accident—A sad accident happened to Mrs. Smith, of Irchester, on Wednesday. Whilst cycling home from Rushden. It appears that the lady was proceeding along the Wellingborough-road, Rushden, about 6.30 p.m., when Mr. Collins was turning his horse and dairy float in the road outside his shop. The cyclist was apparently afraid that she would run into the vehicle, and either had a fit or fainted and fell off her machine. In doing so, the handle of the cycle struck her a violent blow in the chest, and bruised her extensively. Many willing helpers soon picked the unconscious woman up, and took her to Mr. Collins’ shop, where Mrs. Collins and Mrs Banks attended to her. She remained unconscious until 8.30 p.m. Dr Davis was sent for, and subsequently the injured woman’s husband procured a conveyance and removed his wife to their home.

Rushden Argus, 16th October, 1914, transcribed by John Collins

Accident—On Sunday Mr. Nichols, of Cromwell-road, had a painful mishap. He was returning from a drive, and when in Essex-road the pony stumbled and threw him out of the trap. He was taken to a house near by and attended to by Mr. H. Dixon, instructor of the Club’s Ambulance Class, and Miss Newell, of the Nursing Sisters, gave useful help. The unfortunate man had cuts on his forehead and ear, and bruised shoulder. Dr. Baker subsequently attended him.

Rushden Echo, 23rd October 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Motor ’Bus Accident
On Saturday night on the Wellingborough-road, near Rushden, one of the motor ’buses had a breakdown and was stranded at the side of the road for a considerable time, so that the passengers had to walk. Another ’bus came along and the driver pulled up to render any assistance possible. The conductor, Mr Frank Robinson, of Wellingborough-road, Rushden, alighted to make enquiries. Stepping up to speak to his own driver, he slipped, and, as the vehicle was then in motion, the hub of the rear wheel caught him and knocked him violently to the ground. Fortunately the wheel did not pass over him or he might have been killed. He was rendered unconscious, sustaining nasty cuts and bruises all over his body, but no bones were broken. The face of his watch was reduced to powder, his trousers torn, and some coins which were in a canvas bag were bent and battered. He was conveyed home and attended by Dr H S Baker who found the patient suffering from severe shock, but otherwise not in a serious condition. Mr Robinson, who has been a conductor for only a short time, is highly esteemed by his employers and many friends, all of whom wish him a speedy recovery. The unfortunate occurrence was purely accidental. We are told that Mr Robinson is making fair progress.

Rushden Echo, 1st January 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

An Unfortunate Accident occurred on Sunday evening near Mr R Marriott’s house at Rushden, to an aged widow, Mrs Britten, of Chelveston, who for the past twelve months has been residing with her sister Mrs Harris, of Hayway. Mrs Britten had attended service at St Peter’s Church and was on her way home, and when near Mr Marriott’s, while crossing the road, she slipped and fell, sustaining injury to the tendons of her right leg. She was at once conveyed to her sister’s by Mr R Chettle, and others who witnessed the accident, and Dr Baker was sent for and came at once. Mrs Britten, by reason of her advanced age is naturally suffering severely from the shock but is progressing as favourably as can be expected.

Rushden Echo, 22nd January 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Runaway Horse - A runaway horse attached to a baker’s cart, belonging to Mr. Harris, of Wymington, caused no little excitement in the High-street on Tuesday evening. It appears that the owner had left the animal standing in Shirley Park-road whilst he made a call, and the horse, being startled by a motor car, started off, and after proceeding down Shirley Park-road, galloped up High-street at a terrific pace. Pedestrians scattered in all directions, but the frightened animal was smartly brought to a standstill by Mr. E. Green, of 56, Glassbrook-road, and Pte. Henman (2nd Northants Regiment), of Burton Latimer. These gentlemen pluckily ran out into the road and threw up their arms, and the horse at once slackened its speed. Mr. Green then sprang at the reins and fortunately caught them, and after being dragged as far as Mr. Denton’s factory, managed to pull the horse up. A bystander informed a representative of the “Rushden Echo” that it was a plucky action and one of the smartest pieces of work he had ever seen. Fortunately nobody was injured, but a shaft, wing board, and lamp of the vehicle were broken.
Rushden Echo, 12th February 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident—Owing to the dense fog, an accident, which might have been serious, happened to a Rushden motorist – Mr. Hawkes, of the Central Machinery Co. – yesterday morning. He was proceeding in the direction of Kettering and when close to Mr. Saxby’s newspaper shop at Higham had the misfortune to collide with a horse and brougham driven by Mr. A. Abbott, of Rushden. The front part of Mr. Hawkes’ car was locked into the front part of the brougham, the off-side lamp and mudguard of which latter vehicle, were considerably damaged. Fortunately no one was injured. The horse received slight injury on the off hind leg. The fog was so dense that drivers of neither of the vehicles could see each other until they were at close quarters, an accident then being unavoidable. Later in the morning a second accident was narrowly averted. Mr. Arthur Willmott, of Rushden, was cycling in the direction of Irthlingborough, when he suddenly noticed a motor ‘bus emerging from the fog. He did not see the cumbersome vehicle until it was practically on top of him, but with great presence of mind, he jumped off his cycle on to the pathway and pulled his machine after him, with the result that he escaped injury and his machine was not damaged.

Rushden Echo, 19th February 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident—The strong wind which prevailed on Sunday was the cause of a painful accident to Mr. A. Campion, of Pytchley-road. His hat was blown off, and when stooping to pick it up he slipped off the pavement and fell heavily on to his shoulder, which at the time it was feared was dislocated. First-aid was rendered by Pte. Austin, and 1st Class Sergt. A. Prigmore, of the St. John Ambulance Association, and subsequently his injuries were attended to by Dr. Baker.

Rushden Echo, 19th March 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

AccidentMr. Freddie Wheeler, son of Mr. R. A. Wheeler, butcher, of Rushden, was motor-cycling to Luton on Sunday night when he met with a mishap. He was going along the Bedford-road when a dog rushed out, and Mr. Wheeler was pitched off the machine to the ground, sustaining cuts and bruises on the face. Surgical aid was summoned, and the patient, who was removed to his home, is now making good progress.

Rushden Echo, 19th March 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident—An accident happened on Wednesday mid-day near Messrs. Tailby and Putnam’s shop, High-street, and resulted in a broken limb. Mr. Potts, a chemist engaged by Mr. Hedley, was attempting to board a ‘bus when he slipped and fell on his hand. He was assisted into Mr. Hedley’s shop, where Dr. Baker attended and found that the arm was fractured. The sufferer was afterwards removed to his home at Higham Ferrers.

Rushden Echo, 9th April, 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

AccidentsAn accident occurred at the bottom of Wymington-road hill on Monday morning to a lad named Hanger, who resides in Bedford-road cottages. Hanger was cycling down the rather steep declivity with a friend, and probably owing to the pace at which he was travelling was unable to turn the corner at the bottom, and an impact with the high causeway seemed inevitable. The lad, we understand, put on his brakes, but the application was too sudden, with the result that he was thrown over the handlebars and struck his head against the high causeway. It is probable that he sustained slight concussion of the brain, as he was unconscious for an hour after the unfortunate occurrence. First-aid was rendered by Messrs. Bates, Fairey and Croft, and after the lad had been conveyed home he was attended by Dr. Davies, who found that Hanger was suffering from several cuts on the head and severe shock.

A serious accident occurred at the junction of Station-road and High-street on Tuesday morning, which resulted in a youth named Cowley, who resides with Mrs. Townsend, of Park-place, sustaining a fractured forearm. It is a matter for considerable surprise that Cowley was not more seriously injured. He was riding a lady’s cycle, and had just turned the corner at the top of Station-road when he noticed a milk float belonging to Mr. W. Brown, Higham Ferrers, approaching him. Probably owing to the fact that two other vehicles were coming up the hill at the same time there was insufficient room for Cowley to pass, and the sudden application of his brakes caused the machine to stop dead, with the result that he was thrown under the wheel of Mr. Brown’s vehicle. The machine falling under the horse’s feet naturally caused it to rear, with the result that the wheel passed over the back of Cowley’s neck. Fortunately Pte. Beardsmore, of the St. John Ambulance Association, was near at hand, and he at once seized the horse’s head and succeeded in quietening the animal, and in the meantime, to the surprise of everyone who witnessed the incident, the injured lad crawled out from the back of the float, and went and sat on a window ledge of Mr. Allebone’s factory. First-aid was rendered by First Class Sergt. Prigmore and Pte. Beardsmore, of the St. John Ambulance Corps, and subsequently Cowley was conveyed home on the wheel litter, and the fracture was set by Dr. Davies. The bicycle lamp was smashed, but the machine was not otherwise damaged.

Rushden Echo, 28th May 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident-Mr. and Mrs. Josiah George, of Pightles-terrace, Rushden, had a narrow escape on Monday. Mr. George, who is the Liberal sub-agent for Rushden district, was returning home from Dunstable on a motor cycle, with Mrs. George in the side-car, and they were just passing Knotting turn when Mr. George changed his gear. The cycle ran on a heap of stones, with the result that cycle and side-car were overturned. Mrs. George was thrown out of the side-car, but fortunately both she and her husband escaped with nothing worse than a few bruises. Having blown up the tyres Mr. George was able to continue his journey with his wife, to Rushden.

Rushden Echo, 28th May 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An alarming incident occurred in the engine room of the C.W.S. works on Saturday and might easily have been attended with very serious consequences. It appears that about 8.30 am., whilst the engines were running, a terrific explosion took place, and four gas bags were blown to pieces, fragments flying all over the place. Several windows were smashed, but fortunately the engineer, Mr. Booth, was well away from the “line of fire,” and he thus escaped serious injury. The cause of the explosion has not, we understand, been ascertained.

Rushden Echo, 11th June 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Startling Accident at Rushden — A Mass of Flames – Two people Injured
A serious accident occurred at 7, Grove-road, on Tuesday to Mrs C Minney, who was severely burned about the arms. Her daughter, Miss Violet Minney, in attempting to save her mother, also sustained injury, being badly burned on the right fore-arm.

It appears that Mrs Minney, who was just about to close some uppers, had in her hands a tin containing about a pint of thick solution. This she dropped when near the gas oven, which was alight, and the inflammable liquid ran underneath. Mrs Minney stooped down to pick up the solution and had some in her hands when that portion which had run under the over suddenly exploded. The force of the explosion knocked her backwards, and the solution which she had in her hands then ignited, and in a moment her arms were a mass of flames.

She screamed for her daughter who was sitting out doors, and Miss Minney, who at once ran to her mother’s assistance, saw an alarming sight, the rug and back door being in flames.

Mrs Minney ran into the yard and her daughter followed her, and tore off her mother’s apron, which was burning.

Miss Minney’s blouse then ignited, but Miss Elsie Ambridge, who resides next door, managed to stifle the flames with a wet cloth, but not before Miss Minney’s arm had been badly burned.

Mrs Ambridge efficiently rendered first-aid, applying oil to Mrs and Miss Minney’s burns, and later the injuries were dressed by Nurse Tipping and Mr Timpson, of the St John Ambulance Association. We are pleased to state that Mrs and Miss Minney are making satisfactory progress, although both are naturally suffering from shock.

Rushden Echo Friday, July 16, 1915, transcribed by Sue Manton

Pistol Accident
An accident occurred opposite Messrs. Meadows and Rattley’s shop in the High Street on Tuesday morning to a soldier, who whilst examining a pistol, had the misfortune to discharge the weapon by some means or other, the bullet passing clean through the palm of his hand. The spent missile then struck another soldier, who was near, on the leg, but inflicted no wound. The wounded man was taken in Mr. Wheeler’s butcher’s shop, where he received first aid, the injury subsequently being dressed by Dr. Baker.

Rushden Echo Friday, July 16, 1915, transcribed by Sue Manton

Cycle accident
On Tuesday evening as a young man named William Underwood, employed by the Irthlingborough Co-operative Society, was returning home on his bicycle to Rushden, he met with an accident. At the corner of Addington Road and High Street a motor car, driven by a lady, and containing two more occupants, came from the direction of Smith’s hill and in pulling up to enquire the way to Woodford, by some means came into collision with the cyclist. Underwood was thrown heavily from his cycle, and sustained a very bad cut over one of the eyes, which necessitated the use of stitches. His machine was also much damaged.

Rushden Echo Friday, July 16, 1915, transcribed by Sue Manton

An accident occurred near the Victoria Hotel on Sunday evening to Mr. T. Myers of Beaconsfield Place. It appears that Mr. Myers, who is 76 years of age, owing to his walking stick slipping, fell heavily to the ground and it is feared dislocated his right hip. He was picked up by Inspector Osborne and conveyed to his home by two of the Rushden constables. Subsequently he was attended by Dr. Crew and on Wednesday morning owing to his leg and hip having become considerably swollen, the doctor advised his removal to the County Hospital. He was conveyed thither by 1st Class Sergt. Prigmore, (Rushden St. John’s Ambulance Association), who was assisted by Mr. G. Spriggs, Mr. Myer’s son-in-law.

Rushden Echo, 27th August 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An accident occurred yesterday week to Mr. H. Cooper, a carpenter in the employ of Messrs. Whittington and Tomlin, Queen-street. Mr. Cooper was engaged in the erection of a shed at Messrs. Wm. Green and Son’s factory, when the ladder slipped and he was precipitated some 20 feet to the ground. Fortunately his fall to the ground was broken by some boxes, or his injuries would doubtless have been of a more serious character. As it was, however, no bones were broken, although Mr. Cooper sustained slight concussion and a dislocated shoulder. He was attended by Dr. Owen. Enquiries made yesterday elicited the fact that Mr. Cooper is making satisfactory progress towards recovery.

Rushden Echo,1st October 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

SERIOUS ACCIDENT - Mr. Robert Farrar, of Crabb-street, an employee of the Rushden and Higham Gas Company, met with a serious accident on Saturday afternoon last. Mr. Farrar and another employee of the Gas Company were attending to lamps in Higham-road, and they had just stepped off the path into the gutter by the side of the road when a motor car belonging to Mr. Lawrence, of Raunds, driven by a lady, came along. The splash-board caught Mr. Farrar, whose right arm was fractured, and who also sustained cuts on the left hand and other parts. Mr. Farrar, who is 62 years of age, had only just got over a surgical operation.

Rushden Echo, 15th October 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident — Fred Mayo, in the employ of Mr. J. Bugby, fish merchant, was yesterday morning going his rounds as usual, when, owing to the slippery state of the road, the horse fell down opposite the Hayway. Mayo sustained nasty bruises on the face and hands. The cart and harness were broken, but the horse escaped injury.

Rushden Echo, 22nd October 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

AccidentMr. T. Webb, postman, of 11, Victoria-road, Rushden, met with a painful accident on Tuesday morning. He was on his second delivery and slipped on the kerb of the pavement in High-street, badly spraining his ankle. Two of the Rushden special constables Mr. S. Field and Mr. H. Brawn, carried the injured man home. Mr. Webb’s doctor is afraid that the patient will not be able to get about for three weeks.

Rushden Echo, 24th December 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

A Narrow Escape was the experience of Mr. J. F. Nix, jeweller, High-street, Rushden, on Sunday night. He was standing near a ’bus at the Wheatsheaf terminus seeing some friends off, when somebody drove by in a trap at a smart pace. Although Mr. Nix was standing quite close to the ’bus a part of the horse vehicle struck him behind the left ear and nearly knocked him down. He was badly bruised behind the ear and his overcoat was torn. The driver of the trap did not stay to see if he had inflicted any injury to Mr. Nix. Mr Nix will be grateful to anyone who can give him any information as to who was driving the vehicle.

Rushden Echo, 10th March 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An accident occurred on Friday afternoon to Phyllis Smith, aged 9 years, of 28 Crabb-street. She was playing on the high causeway in High-street South with some companions who were swinging round. All of a sudden she was missed by her friends, and it was found that she had fallen off the causeway, which at this point is six feet high, into the road. She was picked up by P.C. Holyoak who found her unconscious, and bleeding from the nose and ears. He carried her home, and Nursing Sister Farrar was sent for and rendered efficient first aid. Subsequently Dr. Greenfield examined the child, and ordered her immediate removal to the County Hospital; whither she was taken on Saturday morning by First-Class Sergt. Prigmore, and Nursing Sister Farrar. The little girl is still there and is being treated for a fractured skull. We are pleased to state, however, that she has made satisfactory progress, and it is expected that she will be allowed to come home to-morrow. 

Rushden Echo, 24th March 1916

Accident - Mrs. W. Ablett, of 13 Victoria-road, Rushden, met with a painful accident on Monday evening. While passing the Post Office in High-street she slipped off the causeway, bruising her side and badly spraining her left wrist.

Rushden Echo, 28th April 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident—About 3.30 this (Friday) afternoon a lad named Dickens, of Little-street, Rushden, while wheeling a perambulator, was knocked down by a cyclist in Rectory-road. The lad’s leg was broken.

Accident—A painful accident occurred to Mr. Skeeles, sen., boot and shoe manufacturer, of Moor-road, Rushden, whilst out on a pleasure trip on his motor cycle on Easter Monday. Mr. Skeeles was driving his machine and side car through St. Ives, when he took a wrong turning and found himself in a cul-de-sac. He was unable to stop the machine, although at the time he was running on low gear, and he struck the wall at the end of the street with considerable force. He was not thrown from his machine, but the jar of the impact was sufficient to cause a fracture of his right arm. The front wheel of the machine, a new Harley Davidson, was buckled and the front forks were bent. Mr. Skeeles was conveyed home to Rushden in a motor car and his injury was then attended to by Dr. Greenfield.

Accident—A motor 'bus was on Saturday travelling from Wellingborough to Rushden when the steering gear and certain brakes failed. The driver, Mr. H. G. Perkins, of Irthlingborough, at personal risk, managed to stop the bus from going into the ditch, but was himself thrown over the steering wheel, his wrist being badly strained.

Rushden Echo, 5th May 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An accident which might have been attended with very serious results took place in High-street, Rushden, on Saturday afternoon, when a very small child escaped from the care of its mother, Mrs. Cox, of High-street South, and got in the way of a motor cycle being ridden by Mr. Hyde, the son of Councillor James Hyde. The child was knocked down, but fortunately the only result was a rather nasty shock and a few slight cuts and bruises. The infant was carried into the shop of Mr. J. Bugby, fish merchant, nearby, and after a little attention seemed very little the worse for its experience. Mr. Hyde could not be blamed for the accident, as he was travelling at a slow pace. The roadway being very busy, it was impossible to avoid collision with the child.

Rushden Echo, 9th June 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An accident occurred on Tuesday evening at the dangerous corner at the junction of Queen-street and High-street, the victim being Master Arthur Field, son of Mr. S. Field postmaster. It appears that Master Field was cycling slowly along High-street in the direction of the church when a milk float belonging to Mr. Wooding, dairyman, Fitzwilliam-street, came suddenly round the Queen-street corner. The shafts of the vehicle struck Master Field in the side, and he was thrown from the bicycle to the ground, sustaining a small cut on the head and bruises on the body. He was picked up by P.C. Mattock, and conveyed to his home, where his injuries were attended to by Dr. Baker. Since the accident Master Field has, we understand, complained of internal pains, but enquires yesterday elicited the information that these were diminishing, and that he is making satisfactory progress. No blame, we are informed, can be attached to anyone in connection with the accident. 

Rushden Echo, 23rd June 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident—On Saturday evening at about 8.30 Miss Louisa Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Smith, of 3 Blinco-road, Rushden, met with a bad accident. She was getting over a stile on the Chelveston footpath (near the Higham to Newton-road) when her ankle gave way and she fell to the ground.  A young man accompanying her, finding that Miss Smith was unable to walk, instantly proceeded to Higham Ferrers and secured a conveyance from Mr. Draper. The young lady was then brought home, and Dr. Greenfield attended on Sunday morning, finding her ankle was badly fractured. He ordered her removal to the Cottage Hospital in Griffith-street, to which place she was taken on a wheel-litter on Sunday afternoon by First-class Sergt. Prigmore and Pte. Alec Swindall, two members of the Rushden Division of the St. John Ambulance.

Rushden Echo, 23rd June 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Accident—An accident, attended with rather serious consequences, occurred on Friday between Rushden and Wellingborough to Mr. F. Ward managing director of Messrs. J. J. Peck, Ltd. (Stanwick), who resides at 87 Newton-road Rushden. Mr. Ward was motor cycling to Wellingborough, and was probably travelling too near the grass bank, which he struck with the front wheel, and he was thrown heavily to the ground, losing consciousness. Fortunately Mr. A. T. Sharp, of Raunds, was passing in his car at the time, and picked up Mr. Ward and conveyed him to his home. Dr. Baker was called in, and found that Mr. Ward was suffering from a broken collarbone. The motor cycle was very little damaged. We are pleased to report that Mr. Ward is now making satisfactory progress.

Rushden Echo, 28th July 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

A nasty accident occurred opposite the National Schools on Wednesday about mid-day, when a little girl named Groome, aged three years, whose parents reside in Co-operative-row, had the misfortune to be knocked down by a lady cyclist, viz, Mrs. C. Mason, of New Wymington. We understand that the little girl ran out from the pavement with the intention of crossing the road, and, not noticing the approach of the cycle, collided with the machine, throwing Mrs. Mason off, and herself falling heavily to the ground. Mrs. Mason, although badly bruised, picked the child up and conveyed her home. Dr. Owen was sent for and upon his arrival found that the little girl had sustained a sprained ankle, and had been bruised by the fall. She is also suffering from shock, but is making satisfactory progress. No one, we understand, could be blamed for the accident.

Rushden Echo, 11th August 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An accident occurred at Alfred-street schools on Monday afternoon to Master Jim Frisby, aged 11, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Frisby, of Victoria-road, Rushden. It appears that the lad, whilst entering the cloak room, tripped over a mat, and in falling he caught his arm between two hot-water pipes, sustaining a bad fracture about an inch above the elbow. Mr. E. L. Brightwell, one of the teachers, and a member of the Ambulance Corps, rendered efficient first aid, putting the arm in temporary splints. Subsequently the broken limb was set by Dr. Greenfield, and on Wednesday Master Frisby visited the County Hospital, when the exact nature of the injury was ascertained by means of the Rontgen rays. We are pleased to report that he is making satisfactory progress.

Rushden Echo, 11th August 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

An Accident occurred to a cyclist about 1p.m. on Wednesday, the victim being Miss Minney, of Wellingborough-road, Rushden, who whilst cycling down Skinners-hill had the misfortune to collide with a cart. Fortunately her injuries were confined to bruises, and assistance was rendered her by Special Constable W. L. Sargent, who happened to be passing at the time of the accident.

Rushden Echo, 18th August 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

AccidentMr Charles Hardwick, of 54 Oakley-road, Rushden, has met with a rather nasty accident. On Friday evening last he went to the Irchester-road garden fields and, in stooping to gather some peas, he somehow dislocated his hip, giving it a nasty twist at the joint. He was picked up by Mr Mayhew, of Moor-road, and others, and conveyed home in a motor car by Mr Joseph Knight, whose house is near the garden fields. Dr Baker attended the injured gentleman and ordered his removal to the Northampton hospital the next morning. First-class Sergt. Prigmore and Pte Alec Swindall, of the Rushden St John Ambulance took Mr Hardwick to the station on Saturday morning on a wheel litter and accompanied him in the guard’s can of the train. Mr Hardwick’s wife and mother have both paid separate visits to the hospital and report that the patient is progressing fairly well.

Rushden Echo, 15th September 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

AccidentMiss Ada Reynolds, of 14, Washbrook-road, got her right thumb badly crushed whilst working a blocking machine at Messrs. Nurrish and Pallett’s factory on Monday.

Rushden Echo, 15th September 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An unfortunate accident, which resulted in the loss of a good horse, the property of Mr. J. Paragreen, coal dealer, Duck-street, occurred during the early hours of Monday morning. The animal had been put to graze in a field belonging to Mr. G. Denton, where some excavations have been made in connection with a sewage duct which had become blocked. A hole had been dug from eight to ten feet deep and quite six feet wide, and about ten feet in length. At the bottom was a considerable quantity of soft clay and slush. Apparently the horse had approached the edge to graze, the side gave way, and as a consequence the animal fell into the hole, and becoming embedded in the clay failed to extricate itself. There it was found on Monday morning. Everything possible was done to remove the suffering animal, and finally ropes had to be requisitioned for the purpose, and two horses pulled it out. It was then found that the animal’s spine was severely injured and towards evening it was found necessary to kill it.

Rushden Echo, 22nd September 1916, transcribed by Peter Brown

ACCIDENT— Last night Mr West, boot manufacturer, motored up Church-street and was turning into High-street, when apparently the steering gear did not act properly, and the car dashed with great force into the shop of Mr C Robinson, newsagent. A show case standing at the entrance to the shop was smashed.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 6th October 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

The High Causeway was responsible for another accident on Monday night, the victim being Mr. Wm. Goodfellow, of 88, High-street South.  He had been to the barber’s, and on returning home, thinking that he had reached the steps he stepped off the pavement at one of the highest points, falling a distance of seven or eight feet.  He was picked up in a dazed condition by Messrs. Lewis, Childs, and Whitney, and conveyed to his home but a short distance away.  Fortunately no bones were broken, although Mr. Goodfellow was badly bruised and shaken.  Although he is still lame and suffering from bruises Mr. Goodfellow is managing to keep at his work, and is progressing satisfactorily.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 6th October 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Cycling Collision at Rushden — A nasty accident occurred in Queen-street at mid-day to-day (Friday) a lady cyclist and a motor cyclist being involved. It appears that the lady was cycling down the hill towards High-street and was on the correct side of the road, when the motor cyclist, who had been travelling towards the church, suddenly turned the corner and in doing so swerved right across the road, making a collision inevitable.

We understand that just prior to his turning the corner a dog rushed at the motor cyclist, and forced him to take the corner wider than he would otherwise have done.

The motor cycle struck the lady’s cycle, and she was thrown heavily to the ground and was picked up in a dazed condition, and had sustained one or two cuts.  Her machine, which was practically a new one, was badly damaged, the front wheel being completely buckled.  The motor cycle was very little damaged and the rider, who was unhurt, expressed his extreme sorrow at the accident, and admitted his responsibility.

The Rushden Echo, 8th December 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

ACCIDENTMr. Henry Carter, of High-street South, had a very bad fall from the High Causeway a week ago.  He went to post a newspaper, and, as it was a pitch-dark night and very misty, he could not distinguish the whitened kerb.  He hurt his backbone and sustained a painful cut on his elbow.  Since then he has unfortunately had another fall, slipping down and hurting his arm.

Rushden Echo, 29th December 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An Alarming Accident occurred on Wednesday about 3.30 p.m. at the junction of Wymington-road and High-street South in which were involved a motor car and motor cycle.  It appears that a motor cycle despatch rider – Corpl. Gray, of the Royal Engineers, stationed at Wellingborough – was returning from Bedford via Rushden and was crossing the Wymington-road when his near wheel was struck by the right hand front mud guard of a motor car driven by Mr. F. L. Heygate, of the Northamptonshire Union Bank at Rushden.  At the time of the collision Mr. Heygate’s car was coming from the direction of the church, we understand, and was being turned up the hill in the direction of Wymington.  The motor cyclist was thrown on to the pavement, turning a complete somersault, but fortunately his injuries were confined to a severe shaking and bruises.  His machine, however, was very badly buckled, and was taken to Mr. Albert Okins’s garage for repair.  The right hand front mud guard of Mr. Heygate’s car was bent, but he was able to continue his journey

Rushden Echo, 23rd February 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Nasty Accident—On Friday evening last, after darkening-down time, Mrs. Barnes, and old lady of 70 years or more, whose home is in Co-operative-row, slipped down near the shoe factory of Mr. I. Cunnington in Crabb-street and sustained a broken leg. She was removed to her home by passers-by and afterwards was taken to the Cottage Hospital in Griffith-street by Corpl. Page and Pte. Abblett of the St. John Ambulance, Dr. Greenfield being called to attend her. On Wednesday she was removed to her home again and is now progressing as well as can be expected.

Rushden Echo, 16th March 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Serious Accident—On Saturday afternoon Mr William George Tyler, who resides at 2, Spencer-road, Rushden, was in charge of a cart of manure belonging to Mr W Brown, dairyman and farmer, of Higham Ferrers, when the horse took fright in Commercial-street, Higham, and commenced to bolt. Mr Tyler made a plucky attempt to stop the animal by hanging on to its head, but in doing so he stumbled, and in a second the cart was over him. The wheel of the cart ran up the side of his back, smashing several bones, including some of his ribs. Mr Tyler was able to see a representative of the “Rushden Echo” on Wednesday and recount the incident, and said that in his opinion it was a lucky thing that the wheel did not go straight over his back or stomach. His injuries of course, are painful, but otherwise his condition leaves no great cause for anxiety.

Rushden Echo, 16th March 1917, transcribed by Gill Hollis

AccidentMiss Annie Mobbs, aged 16, who resides with her aunt, Mrs. Dickens, at 66, Robinson-road, Rushden, was working at Messrs. H. W. Chapman & Co.’s box factory in Cromwell-road, Rushden, on Monday, and was standing on some boxes near one of the windows when the boxes gave way, and she instinctively put out her right arm to preserve her balance.  Unfortunately, her arm went through a glass pane in the window, the glass making a deep and nasty cut in the muscle of the forearm.  Miss Lily Murdin, working nearby, immediately rendered first aid, and Miss Mobbs was shortly afterwards attended to by Pte. A. Ablett, St. John Ambulance.  Miss Mobbs is now progressing satisfactorily.

The Argus, 6th April 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Found! - Missing Rushden Newsboy working on Poultry Farm
A Rushden newsboy who had been missing since Wednesday week from his home in Grove-street, Rushden, was found as the result of a notice which appeared in the “Evening Telegraph.”

A milkman informed Mr. and Mrs. Skellum, the parents, that the lad was working on Mr. Fenton’s poultry farm on the Bedford road. The father cycled over on Sunday and brought the lad home. It appears that the lad walked up the Bedford road and spent the first night in a hen-house. The next day the lad applied for a job, and Mrs. Fenton, we understand, set him on.

It appears that the son of Mr. Whittemore, the milkman, read the account in the “Evening Telegraph,” which he took to Mrs. Fenton as he recognised the lad working for her from the description. The lad told Mrs. Fenton that he had been working for his aunt at Kettering on a farm, and she had ill-treated him, and he had run away. She asked him for the address of his aunt and his schoolmaster, which he gave without hesitation. The particulars, however, were found to be false. She wrote to the “aunt” but of course got no reply.

The Argus, 27th April 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Elderly Rushden Man Injured
An elderly gentleman, Mr. Bennett, of Moor-road, Rushden, had an exciting experience while out for a walk recently. He has not been well, and was taking a constitutional round the Kimbolton-road, and when near the railway bridge was attacked by a bull and knocked down. He lay there dazed for some time, and the bull made off, fortunately, without doing him further injury. After a time he was able to make his way home.

We are sorry to hear that Mr. Bennett is now confined to his bed as the result of the shock and injury to his chest and head. He is now being attended by Dr. Baker.

Rushden Echo, Friday 28th September 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Nasty Accident at Rushden – Collision of Motorist and Cyclist
Councillor T Swindall Injured
A nasty accident happened on Wednesday afternoon to Mr T Swindall, chairman of the Rushden Tribunal, and a member of Rushden Urban Council. Between three and four o’clock Mr Swindall was cycling down Church-street, and at the same time a commercial traveller was driving a motor car from the direction of Messrs William Claridge & Sons’ factory, and round by Mr Austin’s house into Church-street.

The motorist, in trying to avoid Mr Swindall, swerved on to the path near Mr Austin’s house, while, at the same time, Mr Swindall, in order to avoid running into a child who was on the road, unluckily turned towards the same pathway, with the result that a collision occurred.

At the same time another motor car was standing outside the shop of Mr J E Smith, another factor which made it more difficult for both motorist and cyclist. Mr Swindall was evidently caught by the starter or spring of the motor, and he was thrown off his machine with great force right on to the hood of the car. Mr Chas. Robinson, of Wellingborough-road, and Mr J R Clipson, of Oakley-road, at once assisted Mr Swindall to Dr Baker’s surgery, where the injuries were attended to. Mr Swindall sustained a cut on the left eye, and his left leg and thigh were bruised, besides which he was considerably shaken, and he has had to keep to his bed for a few days.

It should be added that Mr Swindall was conveyed home by the motorist, who states that this is the first accident he has had in 5,000 miles of travelling with this car. The radiator and lamp of the car were damaged, and Mr Swindall’s cycle also sustained damage. We understand that the motorist used his ordinary horn and also his emergency hooter.

Rushden Argus, 5th October 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Severe Injuries – Girl Hurt with a Broken Plate
A girl named Ethel Bollard, of North-street, Rushden, was attended at the Rushden Cottage Hospital for severe injuries to her head. We understand that she was hurt by a plate, which broke and cut her rather badly about the head and face. Mr. James Hyde kindly drove her to the Hospital, where several stitches were put in. The injuries are said to have been caused by her brother, a man of about 30 years of age. Mr. Patenall, of Messrs. Crick and Patenall, kindly drove the injured girl, who is an employee of his, to her home, after she had received surgical attention.

Rushden Argus, 5th October 1917

Rushden Girl Hurt with a Broken Plate—A girl named Ethel Bollard, of North-street, Rushden, was attended at the Rushden Cottage Hospital for severe injuries to her head. We understand that she was hurt by a plate, which broke and cut her rather badly about the head and face. Mr. James Hyde kindly drove her to the Hospital, where several stitches were put in. The injuries are said to have been caused by her brother, a man of about 30 years of age, Mr. Patenall of Messrs. Crick and Patenall, kindly drove the injured girl, who is an employee of his, to her home, after she had received surgical attention.

Rushden Echo, Friday 19th October 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—On Wednesday, a horse and trap belonging to Mr Wyldes, of the Court Estate, was standing in charge of a lad in the High-street, when a motor ’bus came along. The horse took fright, and, in spite of the lad’s efforts to hold it, backed on to the pavement in front on the Northants Union Bank, and knocked down the standard gas lamp, which only missed the Bank windows by inches. Fortunately, no other damage was done.

Rushden Echo, Friday 26th October 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

An Accident happened on Saturday to a lad named Payne, when taking a truck of meat for Mr R A Wheeler, butcher. Payne was pulling the truck, and another boy was pushing it, when it got out of control in going down-hill, with the result that it knocked Payne down and ran over his leg.

The Rushden Echo, 2nd November 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Hand Amputated—We are sorry to report that Herbert Chettle, aged 12, son of Mr and Mrs Charles Chettle, of 83, Duck-street, who, as reported in the “Rushden Echo” recently, got his hand into a welt splitting machine, has had to undergo an operation for the amputation of the injured member. We understand that he is now progressing satisfactorily.

Rushden Echo, 23rd November 1917, transcribed by Gill Hollis

AN ACCIDENT happened on Tuesday week to Mr. James Tunn, of Co-operative-row.  He had the misfortune to fall off the pathway in the dark, his ankle being badly sprained.  He had to keep to his bed until this morning, when he was able to be moved downstairs for a time.

Rushden Echo, 30th November 1917, transcribed by Gill Hollis

An accident happened on Monday morning at Rushden to Mr. Thompson, butcher, of Higham Ferrers, a baker’s cart coming down Queen-street colliding with him and knocking him off the cycle which he was riding.  After a short rest, Mr. Thompson was able to resume his journey.

The Rushden Echo, 21st December 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

An Alarming Accident occurred on the Newton-road near the Court Estate turn on Saturday evening, when an elderly man named Charles Maddams was knocked down by a motor car and rendered unconscious, although fortunately no bones were broken. It appears that Mr H Staniland had been driven to Catworth on business by Mr C Bennett, and on the return journey, when between Mr J Harris’s house and the Court Estate turn, the occupants of the car noticed a man walking in the middle of the road about 30 yards to the front of them. The driver sounded his hooter twice, but Mr Maddams, who, we understand, is deaf, appeared bewildered, and turned into the track of the car, so that he was caught by the near side mudguard and thrown violently down. Mr Bennett pulled the car up within 15 yards, and returning to the spot with Mr Staniland, picked up Mr Maddams, who was unconscious and bleeding, and, putting him in the car, conveyed him to his lodgings at Mortimer’s Farm cottages. They then proceeded to Rushden and fetched Dr. Greenfield, who examined the man and found that he was severely bruised and cut about the body and face, but fortunately the skull was not fractured, although he was found to be suffering from slight concussion. He recovered consciousness whilst the doctor was attending him. Subsequently Mr Bennett and Mr Staniland notified the Rushden police of the occurrence. Inquiries on Sunday elicited the information that Mr Maddams was making satisfactory progress.

Rushden Echo, 15th February 1918

A NASTY ACCIDENT happened on Wednesday in Newton-road to Frank Smith, aged 13, son of Mr. J. Smith, of Victoria-road.  Falling underneath a trolley, he sustained a scalp wound.  Picked up by Mrs. Payne, of Robinson-road, and Mrs. Caswell, of Wellingborough-road, the unfortunate lad was carried into Mrs. Edgar Harris’s shop, and was afterwards taken to Dr. Owen’s surgery, where the injuries were attended to by Dr. Davies.

Rushden Echo, 19th April 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

An Alarming Accident occurred at the Junction of Queen-street and High-street on Tuesday, about 6.30p.m., the premises of the Star Supply Stores being involved in considerable damage. It appears that a heavy motor lorry belonging to Messrs. Scroxton Brothers, furniture removers, was proceeding up the hill, when for some reason or other the vehicle commenced to run backwards, and on reaching the junction of the streets it mounted the pavement and crashed with considerable force into the north window of the Star Supply Stores, the glass being smashed to “smithereens,” dozens of bottles of pickles and the marble slabs at the back of the window also being pulverized. The manageress (Mrs. Bradbury) had a very narrow escape, as at the time she was standing at the counter, and it is a miracle that she was not crushed by the falling debris. Fortunately, however, nobody was hurt, as there were no pedestrians on the pavement at the time. We are informed that nobody was to blame for the unfortunate occurrence, and the damage we understand is covered by insurance.

Rushden Echo, 19th April 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—We are sorry to report that Mr. George Martin, secretary of the Rushden Coffee Tavern Company, met with a nasty accident last Tuesday week at midday. It appears that he had left Messrs. William Claridge’s factory, where he is employed, with the intension of going home to his dinner, when he was swept off the pavement by a cyclist who, having evidently lost control of his machine, came down Skinner’s-hill at a furious rate. Mr. Martin was thrown violently down, and was rendered unconscious, in which condition he remained for over an hour. Fortunately Mr. Martin’s injuries were confined to a slight cut on the head and severe bruises about the body, especially the right shoulder. He was taken into Mr. John Claridge’s home. Since the accident Mr. Martin has been confined to the house, but is progressing as satisfactorily as can be expected.

Rushden Echo, 24th May 1918

An Alarming Accident occurred in High-street on Tuesday about 8 p.m., by which two young ladies, the daughters of Mr. R. W. Austin, of 131, Cromwell-road, received injuries.  It appears that Misses Dorothy and Evelyn Austin were walking on the pavement outside the factory of Messrs. B. Denton and Sons, Ltd., when a fanlight fell from one of the windows of the top storey of the factory and struck the two girls, both being knocked down.  Of the two girls Miss Dorothy Austin was the most severely injured, sustaining deep cuts on the right eye and mouth, which bled profusely.  She completely lost consciousness and is now in bed suffering severely from shock and concussion.  Miss Evelyn Austin’s right arm was cut in two or three places, but otherwise she is uninjured.  The girls’ dresses were ruined, one being very badly cut about and the other covered with blood.  Both of the injured young ladies were taken into Mr. W. Neville’s house, and Dr. Baker was sent for.  Miss Dorothy Austin, after her injuries had been dressed, was conveyed home on a stretcher.  Miss Evelyn Austin was able to walk home unassisted.  As to how the accident happened is a mystery, and it is a miracle, seeing that both girls were struck by the heavy fanlight, that matters were not very much worse.  Valuable assistance was rendered by Mr. Clements, of Irthlingborough, Pte. Bonner, and Messrs. H. O. Miller, A. Ablett, and W. H. Marriott, of the Rushden St. John Ambulance Corps.

Rushden Echo, 7th June 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT TO A RUSHDEN MAN —An accident occurred on Sunday morning to Mr Taylor, of East Grove, Rushden, who whilst cycling down the hill on Yelden Open Fields into Yelden had the misfortune to get his machine into a rut in the road with the consequence that he was thrown from the machine, striking the road heavily, receiving a nasty cut over the left eye and severe bruises and abrasions on the body. Mr. Taylor was also suffering too severely from shock to be able to get home unassisted, but fortunately Mr. T. F. B. Newberry, of Rushden, was passing in his buggy, and drove Mr. Taylor to his home. From Sunday to Wednesday Mr. Taylor was compelled to remain at home, but on Wednesday, in view of the shortage of male labour, he pluckily returned to his work at Messrs. Skeeles and Son’s factory.

Rushden Echo, 19th July 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—No little excitement was caused in Station-road on Wednesday afternoon when a heavily-loaded miller’s wagon got out of the driver’s control whilst being driven down the hill. Three horses were attached to the wagon, and whilst going down the hill the vehicle, owing to the gradient, although the driver attempted to check it by applying the brake, gathered too great a momentum for the horse in the shaft to check it with the result that the horse fell, also bringing down the rear horses. The poor animal in the shafts was pinned under the vehicle and some sacks of flour which rolled off, and a steam roller which was at work near by had to be requisitioned to pull the wagon off before the suffering animal could be extricated. The driver also had an alarming experience, as he ran a grave risk of being crushed under the heavy sacks of flour which commenced rolling off the wagon, but he managed to escape from his perilous position with the assistance of a Council employee, Mr. J. Madams, who held down the frightened and suffering horse whilst the driver got out. The shafts of the wagon were smashed and the horse hurt, but fortunately not so badly as had been at first feared. The value of the three animals which so narrowly escaped serious injury was £300.

Rushden Echo, 19th July 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

An Alarming Accident occurred at the junction of Queen-street and High-street on Wednesday evening, when a newsboy, aged twelve, son of Mr. Bond, of 21 Pemberton-street, and employed by Mr. Taylor, newsagent, Queen-street, was knocked down by a motor ’bus, receiving painful injuries. It appears that the unfortunate lad was running across the road to meet the ’bus, when, misjudging his distance, he got into a difficult position between the ’bus and a milk float. The step of the heavier vehicle struck him on the knee, knocking him down. He was picked up by two German prisoners who were passing at the time, and carried into the Louvre, where his superficial injuries, consisting of cuts on the knee and hand, were attended to by Miss D. York and a soldier. In the meantime Dr. Baker had been summoned, and on his arrival, finding the lad suffering severely from shock, the doctor advised that he be taken home on the ambulance litter. Subsequently the doctor’s instructions were carried out by Messrs. J. Craker and W. Knight, of the St. John Ambulance Corps. We are very pleased to report that the lad, who had a marvellous escape, is progressing as satisfactorily as may be expected.

Rushden Echo, 23rd August 1918

A LARGE TERRIER DOG belonging to Mr. Waller, of Moor-road, had a weird experience on Sunday night.  Probably while chasing a rat, the dog entered a storm-water pipe at the corner of Higham-road and Washbrook-road.  It went up the pipe for a distance of about 40 yards and then could get no further, nor could it turn round.  Some girls who were going along the road shortly before midnight heard the dog whining through a gulley, and they informed the police, who at once set to work to liberate the frightened animal.  Mr. Robert Marriott and others rendered assistance.  By means of the drain rods Mr. Marriott was able to locate the animal, and the road at that spot was soon taken up, the dog being liberated, not much the worse for its adventure.

Rushden Echo, 30th August 1918

AN UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT happened on Saturday afternoon to Mr. Horace W. Brawn, the chief marshal at the carnival procession.  While mounting his horse, just as the parade was about to commence, he accidentally dislocated his shoulder.  He walked to the Queen Victoria Hotel, where he was attended to by Dr. Baker, and subsequently he was able to visit the Hall grounds for the fete.

Rushden Echo, 6th September 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

Serious AccidentLily Minney, aged 14, daughter of Mr. C. Minney, of Grove-street, while working a splitting machine at the factory of Messrs. Green and Coe, boot manufacturers, met with a serious accident on Monday. Her right hand was caught by the machinery and badly mangled, all the fingers being lacerated severely. The injured girl was taken to Dr. Greenfield’s surgery, where the injuries were dressed, and the girl was then taken home in the doctor’s motor-car. The two middle fingers are smashed, and it is feared that amputation will be necessary.

Rushden Echo, 20th December 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

AccidentMr Munns, an elderly man, in the employ of Mr R Marriott, builder, while standing at the top of a ladder painting an outbuilding on the premises of Messrs Sanders and Sanders, Spencer-road, fell to the ground and was rendered unconscious. Men inside the factory heard the fall and hastened to his assistance. Mr L Sanders motored Mr Munns home, where he received medical attention. The injured man is suffering from shock, cuts, and bruises, and is making as much progress as can be expected.

Rushden Echo, 14th February 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins

A Painful Accident occurred to Mr. Wm. Fox, aged 60, Co-operative-row, while cutting wood at Mr. Packwood's saw-yard on Saturday. Mr. Fox was operating a circular power-saw when his left hand slipped and the saw cut between his first and second fingers right through the length of the palm. Mr. Packwood immediately conveyed the injured man to Dr. Owen’s surgery, where preliminary measures were taken to stop the bleeding, and the doctor ordered the patient to Northampton Hospital without delay. First-class Sergt. Prigmore, of the Rushden St. John Ambulance, and Mr. Wm. Robinson, of Manton-road, transported Mr. Fox to the Hospital, which was reached in an hour after leaving Rushden. Mr. Packwood did all that was possible for the comfort of the sufferer.

Rushden Echo, 27th June 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—Whilst walking home on Friday last, Mrs. Priscilla Boddington, aged 78, of 20 Pemberton-street, had the misfortune to step on a piece of orange peel and fall very heavily to the ground. Happily it was found she was only bruised and shaken, but she has had to keep to her bed since. She is now going on as well as can be expected. The public should guard against throwing either orange peel or banana skins on the pavement, as serious accidents so often happen thereby.

Rushden Echo, 14th November 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins

Motor Cycle Accident—We are pleased to state that Mr. J. Bass, of 114 Harborough-road, who suffered a broken leg last week, is now progressing favourably. Mr. Bass was being driven by his brother, Mr. W. Bass, in a side-car to Bedford on Wednesday week, and when near the Knotting turn the steering gear went wrong. The machine swung round to the side, and Mr. J. Bass, seeing that a collision with a telegraph pole was almost unavoidable, leaped from the side-car. Unluckily, he did not get clear in time, and his left leg struck the pole, breaking the big bone near the ankle. The motor-cycle and side-car overturned in the ditch, but fortunately the driver was not seriously injured. Mr. Ashford, driving his car to Rushden, gave the injured man a lift home. Dr. Baker attended and set the broken limb.

The Rushden Echo, 10th September, 1920

Marvellous Escape at Rushden
Under a Carriage Wheel - Lad’s Awkward Predicament

  A narrow escape from serious injuries was the experience on Wednesday morning in High Street, near Mr. C. Mole’s shop, of Reginald Dilley, the 15-year-old son of Mr. A. Dilley, of 111, Washbrook-road, Rushden.  The lad, who had been cycling along High-street, and carrying a long iron bar in one hand, made a slip in dismounting, and fell under a passing Landau, belonging to Mr. Asher Abbott.

  The front-wheel of the vehicle passed over Dilley’s left leg, and the driver, pulling up, found that the boy was still in danger, the wheel being on his back.  The driver had to take the landau on a few feet right across the lad’s body.

  Mr. J. R. Brooke and Mr. W. Russell picked Dilley up and took him in the landau to Dr. Davies’s surgery, where, strange to relate, it was found that the injuries were nothing beyond abrasions and shock.

The Rushden Echo, 10th September, 1920

Motor Accident

  Yet another accident is added to the great list of mishaps occurring at the bottom of Queen-street, a dangerous junction, which surely needs attention.  On Saturday, about 10 a.m., Mr. John Gillitt, auctioneer, of Wellingborough, driving a motor-cycle and side car along High-street towards the Church, crossed to the right of the road in order to pass a watering cart which stood near Mr. G. W. Battersby’s shop.  A motor car, driven by Mr. F. Tear, with Mr. J. Green and others as passengers, turned at the same time into High-street from Queen-street.  Neither driver was able to pull out of the way, and the car crashed into Mr. Gillitt’s machine, knocking it on to the pavement.  Happily no one was injured.  The back wheel of the motor-cycle was badly buckled up, but the car escaped serious damage.  We commend to the local authority or the Automobile Association the idea adopted in other towns of erecting mirrors at angles which will show drivers approaching from any direction if another vehicle is nearing the point from the road at right angles.  The few pounds required are nothing commensurate with the value of the lives involved.

Rushden Echo, 10th December 1920, transcribed by Kay Collins

Overturned Trap—A horse belonging to Mr. W. James, butcher, Rushden, were standing outside the Station on Monday whilst Mr. James was unloading meat from the 6.11p.m. train, and as the engine started off, the horse took fright and bolted down the station yard towards High-street, it was unable to make the turn at the bottom, owing to the great speed, and horse and trap overturned completely in the roadway. Ex-P.S. Beale, passing at the time, ran and held the horse down until Mr. James and others released it from the trap, the wheels of which were broken off. Fortunately the animal was not greatly injured. When the horse and cart overturned the effect use an eyewitness's phrase—was "like a play of fireworks," because of the sparks caused by the impact.

Rushden Echo, 17th December 1920, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident. Mr. W. Sharpe, of Higham-road, whilst at work on the C.W.S. new buildings, Rectory-road, was moving a big stone slab when it slipped from his grasp and fell on to his leg. The stone was quickly removed and Mr. J. Burt rendered first aid. Mr. Sharpe was taken to Dr. Owen's surgery and an exanimation proved that the injuries were confined to cuts and bruises.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Health & Welfare index
Click here to e-mail us