Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Accidents - 1913

The Rushden Echo, 18th July, 1913

Serious Accident At Rushden
Motor Smashes Cycle
Rider Thrown Under The Car

  Whilst cycling along High-street South, Rushden, on Saturday, Mr. Frederick Clayton, of 109, Park-road, was knocked off his machine and rather badly injured.

  It appears that Mr. Clayton was riding past the Conservative Club in the direction of Bedford-road and was on his proper side.  A band was playing near the club, and the listeners caused some slight obstruction for much traffic.  A motor car was coming from the direction of Bedford and another from the direction of the church.  All three vehicles seemed to reach the place of the somewhat congested traffic at once.  Mr. Clayton told a “Rushden Echo” representative that he noticed some of the people trying to clear the road and thought it was for the car in front of his own machine, but glancing back he was startled to see a car close to him.  Before he could put on sufficient speed the car crashed into his back wheel, literally doubling the machine up.  Had the car been going very fast it would have passed over Mr. Clayton.  As it was, he was thrown under the front wheel, sustaining a nasty cut on his right wrist and some bad bruises, besides a severe shaking.  The driver of the car, a Mr. Keeling, of Manchester, with the assistance of Mr. C. Tew and others, picked up the injured cyclist and conveyed him to his home.  First-aid was rendered by Mrs. Woods, of the St. John Nursing Association.  On the following day Mr. Clayton went to Dr. Greenfield’s surgery, where the injuries were further attended to, and he is now making good progress.  Our representative was informed that Mr. Keeling has kindly promised to replace the bicycle, and he admitted that no blame whatever attached to Mr. Clayton, who could not be expected to hear the hooter on account of the band.

  It is stated that the car coming from Bedford was in the middle of the road instead of on the left-hand side.

The Rushden Echo, 18th July 1913

Three Accidents In One Family
Rushden Cyclist Picked Up Unconscious
Two Others Injured By Falling.

  Late on Sunday night a man was found lying in an unconscious condition at the junction of Higham-road and Hayway, Rushden, (where excavations were being made by the Electric Lighting Co.).

  P.C. Reed, who made the discovery, attended to the injured man.  Soon afterwards Dr. Greenfield happened to come along on the scene, and immediately rendered assistance, the man eventually regaining consciousness.  He gave the name as Matthews and his address at 1, Allen-road, Rushden.  He said he was returning from Finedon on his cycle and when nearing the bottom of Higham-road was somewhat confused by the different lights which were placed to warn passers-by of the excavations.  He also states that two cyclists came up the hill in front of him and he saw them turn up North-street.  That is all be remembers until he saw the doctor and the policeman.  Mr. Matthews was taken home on the ‘bus and on arrival he was found to be suffering from injuries to his right eye and his left thumb was put out of joint.

  Our representative was informed yesterday that Mr. Matthews is making fair progress.

  Mr. Matthews rarely rides his cycle after dark, as, he says, he is a very nervous rider.

  P.C. Reed states that it would have been difficult for passers-by to have seen Mr. Matthews, as he was lying in an inconspicuous position.

  Curious to relate, Mr. Matthews’s mother had an accident on Wednesday.  She was attending her daughter, Mrs. Watts (whose accident we reported in our last issue), when she fell and suffered some nasty cuts and bruises, but is now making good progress, as is Mrs. Watts (Mr. Matthews’ sister).

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Health & Welfare index
Click here to e-mail us