Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Rushden Echo, 16th January & 6th February, 1914, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Motor 'Bus Accident at Rushden
This Afternoon

This afternoon about three o’clock a somewhat serious accident happened at Rushden. The motor ’bus on the Raunds route was being driven up Church-street at a brisk pace, and on turning the slight bend at Alfred-street encountered some congested traffic. In his endeavours to avoid it the driver crashed into a four-wheel vehicle standing outside Mr. Lawrence’s shop.

The horse was forced on the path, smashing the window, and the front of the vehicle was simply mangled. Another horse and four-wheel were standing on the same side of the street facing High-street, the two vehicles being back-to-back and practically touching. The latter was impelled with great force a distance of several yards but fortunately the horse did not bolt.

The horse struck by the ‘bus was injured rather badly in the neck. There is a deep cut mark on the road, pointing to the fact that the wheel of the ‘bus was held by the brake so tightly that it ceased to revolve for two yards. There is another similar mark on the pavement probably caused by the smashed vehicle.

The ‘bus, which was stranded on the right side of the road for some time, subsequently proceeded on its way.

6th February

Wellingborough Police Court
Rushden Accident

Fredk. Wm. Hoare, motor ‘bus driver, Wellingborough was summoned for driving a motor car on the highway negligently at Rushden on Jan. 16.

Mr. J. C. Parker prosecuted and Mr. Alex Farr, Bedford, defended.

This case arose out of an accident in Church-street, Rushden, when a motor ‘bus collided with a trolley the horse attached to which was shot through a window.

According to Mr. Parker’s opening statement, the occurrence was caused by the driver allowing his attention to be diverted by some one offering him an orange.

George Robinson, the owner of the trolley who first gave evidence, said in cross-examination that the road was greasy and the driver was on his right side but at the moment of the collision the car was diverted across the road.

P.S. Brumby, who visited the scene after the accident, said there was no sign of the ‘bus having skidded, although the driver told him the front wheel did skid across the road and thus caused him to run into the trolley.

Robinson, recalled by the Bench, said that his claim for compensation had been settled, upon which the Chairman remarked that the magistrates did not think it was necessary to press the case further.

Mr. Parker said he was bound to go on with the case in the interests of the public safety. This was not, he said, a civil case.

The Chairman : You can go on if you like, but I don’t think you’ll get a conviction.

Mr. Parker : With all respect to the Bench I must put up with that.

Further evidence was then called to show that the driver was speaking to someone who was running beside the ‘bus at the time of the accident.

Mr. Farr, addressing the Bench for the defence, contended there was not the slightest evidence of negligence.

Evidence was given by the defendant and the Bench dismissed the case, the chairman remarking that they were of opinion that something attracted the attention of the driver, but they could not say he was driving negligently.

Rushden Argus, 23rd January 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Singular 'Bus Accident - Horse Forced Through Shop Window

A remarkable accident occurred at Rushden on Friday, resulting in considerable damage.

the potato cart
Photo by H Cowley, Rushden
It appears that Mr. Geo. Robinson, had drawn up his trolley against Mr. Lawrence's shop in Church-street, the horse facing the church, and was unloading a load of potatoes. The trolley was drawn close to the kerb on the right-hand side of the road. The Raunds 'bus was being driven up the road at the usual pace, and we understand someone hailed the driver just before he got to the trolley. The driver, it is said, looked round, and as he did so crashed in to the rear of the trolley. The force of the impact was so great that it pushed the trolley right round, so that it was facing in the direction of Wellingborough and lying, a heap of wreckage, on the pathway. The horse was knocked into the window of Mr. Lawrence's shop. Mr. Robinson and his two brothers rushed to the scene, and were able to release the animal from its dangerous position. The animal had a deep cut in the mouth and was badly bruised. The under works of the trolley were completely smashed, and of the front wheel only the rim and axle were left, the shafts and harness being also broken.

The front mudguard of the 'bus was broken off, and the lamp was broken.

After the accident had happened the 'bus was drawn up close-to the right-hand-kerb. The ruins of the trolley were on the path, and the horse was struggling with its head through the window. P-C. Norton was soon on the spot, and Sergt. Brumby and Inspector Bailey arrival directly afterwards.

Apart from the 'bus and the smashed trolley there was no traffic, with the exception of another trolley standing by the, kerb in front of the trolley smashed into.

The damaged 'bus had afterwards to be towed to the garage.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Health & Welfare index
Click here to e-mail us