Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Doctors

Irish born Edward James Freeman, surgeon & physician, came to Rushden c1889 and established his practice at 47 High Street. He left this property and moved to Victoria Road in about 1905.

Doctor Owen of Highfield, Park Road.

Doctors Crew, Owen and Burland had a practice in Park Road in 1894.

Herbert Stainer Baker had opened another surgery at 20 Church Street by about 1897.

Doctor William Durrance (born Burton-on-Trent), and his wife Florence (born in India), came here c1900 and left about 1906.

In this 1905 postcard the large building, built in 1890, is the Northamptonshire Union Bank, then the shop of Tomlinson the tailor, next two large gates, and the building (far right), with a black sign hanging out from the window "Surgery".

William Arthur Durance,
MRCS Eng, LRCP Lond,
physician & surgeon lived
here at 47 High Street

In 1910 it had become the offices for J T Parker, solicitor, and Rushden Brick & Tile Co.

47 High Street

Doctor Dudley George Greenfield came in 1903, and remained here until his death in 1950.

Rushden Echo, 13th March 1908, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—Mr. Bass, of Denmark-road, and elderly man, had a fall in Park-road on Saturday. His head caught the kerbstone and was severely cut. Mr. J. W Crouch and another man, who was near, picked Mr. Bass up, and he was removed to his home. Dr. Bromilow attended to the injuries.

Dr. Fisher, and pioneering partner Dr. George Gerrard came to Rushden to clean up a town plagued with the scourge of the working class—TB. And they did.



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Health & Welfare index
Click here to e-mail us