Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Rushden Echo, 14th November, 1913, transcribed by Jim Hollis
Serious Accident at Rushden
Motor Cyclists Collide - Hospital Doctor Badly Hurt
A serious accident happened near the railway bridge on Sunday at about 3.45 p.m., two motor cyclists colliding with terrific force. The unfortunate victims were Mr. W. A. Fathers, of Rushden, and Dr. Spence, of the County Hospital, Bedford.

A “Rushden Echo” representative, who was on the spot within a few minutes of the occurrence, was able to obtain authentic particulars of the accident. It appears that Mr. Fathers was coming into Rushden from the direction of Higham and when passing under the railway bridge swerved to the right to avoid some pedestrians who were walking six or seven abreast in front of him, in the direction of the Church. Dr. Spence was proceeding in the opposite direction, and the collision doubtless occurred through each being unaware of the other’s approach owing to their view being obscured by the pedestrians aforementioned. The impact must have been terrific as the front wheel of Mr. Fathers’ machine was completely smashed, and the doctor’s motor cycle was also extensively damaged, the lamp being smashed, the speedometer attachment broken, the foot rests bent, and the gear pedal and shaft broken.

Both men were at once picked up, and Mr. Fathers was conveyed to his apartments by Mr. Paul Panter, who was on the spot with his motor cycle and side car. Dr. Spence was carried into the Victoria Hotel my Messrs. H. Rice and H. Linnitt, who picked him up. Dr. Baker was sent for and in the meantime first aid was rendered by Private G. Timpson, of the St. John Ambulance Association, and Mr. H. Linnitt. As soon as the doctor arrived he examined his injured confrere, and it was found that, considering the nature of the accident, his injuries were not extensive. He was, of course, badly shaken and suffering from slight concussion, and there were one or two slight cuts on the face, in addition to bruises about the body. We understand that one or two of his teeth were also knocked out. On Dr. Baker’s advice, the injured medico was at once put to bed, and a telephonic message was sent through to the Beds County Hospital, informing the officials of the occurrence. Upon enquiry on Sunday evening our representative was informed that Dr. Spence was more comfortable and conscious, but was in need of sleep. His mother had come from Bedford and was with him, and it was anticipated that he would be well enough to be taken home on the morrow.

In the case of Mr. Fathers, our representative found that although there were practically no external signs of injury, the shock had evidently affected his memory as he had no remembrance of the accident, and he did not appear to be able to grasp that he had been involved in a collision. He had no recollection of having set out on his motor cycle, and kept constantly asking for particulars of what had occurred. So far as we are able to judge, neither of the unfortunate participants in the accident were to blame.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Health & Welfare index
Click here to e-mail us