|The Rushden Echo, 17th October 1947, transcribed by Kay Collins
2,700 Babies Weighed
Infant Welfare Centre activities at Rushden over the past 12 months were outlined at the 17th annual meeting held at the Waverley Hotel, with Coun. Mrs. O. A. H. Muxlow, C.C., presiding.
The secretary (Mrs. C. A. Sanders) reported that the centre had been open for 47 sessions. The total number of weighings was 2,761 and the doctor had been consulted by the mothers 941 times.
Each week voluntary helpers were present for the sale of baby foods, cod-liver oil, orange juice and cups of tea; other duties included regulating the perambulator traffic and supervising the toddlers at play.
Expenses during the year included the cost of taking 75 mothers to the Ritz cinema to see the film “Life with Baby”; a New Year party for 150 mothers and children, and the purchase of new toys and another pair of scales.
Dr. Goodchild thanked all the helpers for their interest and regular services. It was stated that the centre was now being held again at Queen Street Independent Wesleyan Sunday School after its temporary transfer to the Moor Road Scools.
Mrs. Muxlow was re-elected chairman and Mrs. C. Faulkner succeeded Mrs. F. E. Hutton as president.
Present were: Mesdames A. Muxlow, Faulkner, Hutton, H. Burfield (registrar), D. Draper, W. Flood, D. E. Foster, L. Perkins, C. A. Sanders (secretary) and E. Sugars, with Dr. Goodchild (the Centre M.O.), Miss Millgate and Miss Shiel (health visitor).