Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
By Rosemary Bayley, via email, 2010
The Dearlove Family
Higham Park Farm
Higham Park, Northamptonshire

Sometime between 1825 and 1828, Joseph Dearlove, his wife Elizabeth, and their children, moved to Higham Park from their former home in Harrogate.

Joseph and Elizabeth had eleven children altogether, but not all of them lived at Higham Park. Only their last child, Richard Wade Dearlove, was actually born at Higham Park, but certainly John (born 1823) and Ralph (born 1825) in Yorkshire were with the family.

Joseph and Elizabeth were devout Wesleyan Methodists. In 1828 they set aside a room in the farmhouse to be used as a Chapel, with seats of about 80 worshippers, although the average attendance was usually about 30.

Joseph died of apoplexy at Higham Park on 16th January 1845, aged 64, and Elizabeth died on 1st December in the same year, aged 61.

A notice in the Leeds Mercury of 1 February 1845 says that Joseph was a member of the Wesleyan Society for nearly 30 years, and for a considerable time, a leader and local preacher.

Joseph's grave, in St.Mary's Church, Rushden, contains the Epitaph:
"Sacred to the memory of JOSEPH DEARLOVE formerly of Killinghall in the county of York, but late of Higham Park in the county, who was suddenly called out of time into eternity January 16th 1845 in the 64th year of his age.

He was for many years a consistent and useful member of the Wesleyan Methodist Society.

The sole object of his trust and dependence was the cross of Christ. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again. Even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him"

At this point John was 22 and Ralph 20 years old. They continued to run the farm, with their younger brother Richard, aged 17 for some years.

Sometime between 1851 and 1861 John Dearlove moved from Higham Park to Bencroft Grange, in Rushden, where he continued to farm.

Ralph married Sarah Warren on 15 May 1856 in Cheese Lane Congregational Chapel, Wellingborough. They had six children, all born at Higham Park between 1857 and 1872.

Ralph and Sarah remained at Higham Park until Ralph’s untimely death in 1880, following an accident on the farm when a gun went off killing Ralph whilst he was riding his pony on the farm.

Sarah did not remain at Higham Park for very long after Ralph’s death. The family left in 1881 following the sale of the farm in March.

At this time four of her six children were living with her:

Joseph Arthur, a Civil Engineer aged 22, Ralph Wade, a farmer aged 20, Sarah Frances aged 17 and Eliza Lillian aged 9.

Transcription from 1849 Whellan’s Directory Northamptonshire:

HIGHAM PARK (extra parochial)
This is an extra parochial district, within the liberty of Rushden, from which it is distant about 1½ miles. It contains one farmhouse, now in the occupation of Mr.John Dearlove, and 640 acres.
The tithes, which are impropriated, were commuted in 1839, for a rent charge of £120.
The park (now disparked) was originally formed in the reign of Henry II.

Transcription from 1877 Kelly’s Directory Northamptonshire:

HIGHAM PARK on the borders of Bedfordshire, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish, 4 miles south-south-east from Higham Ferrers, in the Northern division of the county, Higham Ferrers hundred, Wellingborough union and county court district.
The only house in the parish is the Old Hall, now a farmhouse, and occupied by Mr. Ralph Dearlove.

Listed in the catalogue of Higham Ferrers solicitors, Simpson and Mason, deposited at Northamptonshire Record Office.
NRO Ref: Simpson & Mason Accession 1948/172 Box 944

Higham Ferrers - 1837 Notes on town fairs and charters, enclosing a complaint of the toll collector of non payment by Mr Dearlove for his sheep at the fair.

16 November 1867 - Northampton Mercury

Petty Sessions—William Jarkins, a youth, was summoned by Mr. John Dearlove, of Higham Park, for unlawfully leaving his service on 19th October.–Complainant deposed that he hired the defendant at Kimbolton Statute for a year. He came to his place on the 13th October, and left on the 19th without telling anyone......[more]

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Churches & Chapels index
Click here to e-mail us