Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Rushden Argus, 3rd October 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins
Sporting Estate

Higham Park Realises £8,700

The announcement that an important freehold agricultural and sporting estate, extending to 639 acres, with residence, six cottages, rick yards, etc., would be offered for sale by auction, drew a good company to the Hind Hotel, Wellingborough, the auctioneers being Messrs. Pendered and Son. Ltd. The sale was by order of Mr. T. W. Strother.

The estate comprised the whole parish of Higham Park, 1½ miles from Rushden. The park (now disparked) was originally formed in the reign of Henry II, and the Old Hall (according to Kelly’s Directory) was formerly a shooting box belonging to Charles II, but is now a farmhouse. There was some spirited bidding, and the purchaser proved to be Mr. A. E. Bowen, of Colworth Park, and the price was £8,700.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Churches & Chapels index
Click here to e-mail us