Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
A series of "Historic Rushden" Notecards, Published by Rushden Amenities Society
Amenities Society Notecards
"Historic Rushden"

High Street Ward's Corner Marriott's farmhouse Windmill
No. 1 '38 High Street'/Denton's Lane corner
(George Street) (destroyed by
Cave's Fire, 1901).
No. 2 'Ward's Corner' 4 High Street, Rushden, Grocery and Wine Merchants; business founded by Mr. W. Ward (formerly at Higham Ferrers) and continued by Mr. C. G. Ward until 1930.
No. 3 'Marriott's Farm' 102 High Street, Rushden, formerly Private School run by two sisters affectionately known as 'Big' Miss Smith and 'Little' Miss Smith. The home of Mr. Robert Marriott 1920-1938.
No. 4 'The Windmill' Wymington Road, Rushden, owned in 1910 by William Laurence, Miller and Corn Merchant.
Drawing by Clive Wood — Printed by D. R. Curtis

Coffee Tavern Robinson's
No. 5 'The Rushden Hotel, Coffee Tavern And Public Hall Company Ltd.'
18 High Street, Rushden.
A temperance hotel founded in
1882 by local business men.
Demolished for development 1960.
No. 6 'Charlie Robinsons' first Newsagents & Post Card Shop, 13-15 High Street, Rushden.
1861—Henry Baker, Beer Retailer. 1874—Joseph Robinson, Shopkeeper, succeeded by his sons Arthur & Charles. Demolished in 1920s.

Coach & Horses Inn Rushden Hall
No. 7. 'The Coach & Horses Inn', 16 High Street South, 1850.
In 1770 the 'Swan & Dolphin' changing to the 'Swan' by 1836. This fine old building was the Coaching Inn of Rushden in the 18th century, forming part of Rushden Hall estate.
Demolished early 1930.

Drawing by George Ette. Block kindly loaned by
Mrs. G. W. Marriott — Printed by D. R. Curtis

No. 8 'Rushden Hall', Northamptonshire, an attractive stone house containing elements of architecture from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century; the view shows the Jacobean 'Dutch' gabled front of 1640 and the south front of 1820—1870.
Now owned by Rushden Town Council.

Drawing by Clive Wood — Printed by D. R. Curtis

No. 9 Warehouse and Swimming Baths

Designed by A. Sykes, A.R.I.B.A., Arch.T. October 1895

Occupied by Lilley & Skinner,
Leather Merchants approx. 1900

Clark & Co. shoe factory 1924-1974

Top Floor opened as Y.M.C.A.
by H.R.H. Princess Helena Victoria April 2nd, 1927

Opened in 1987 as an extension to
Peter Crisp Departmental Store

Drawing by Clive Woods
Printed by Allison Printers

No. 10 — 29 Wellingborough Road, "Brookfield". The factory and home of William Claridge, established in 1860, succeeded by his sons John and Charles in 1891 as J. & C. Claridge Ltd.
"Manufacturers of High Grade Goodyear Welted Footwear for Men", trading until approx. 1950.

To mark the 25th Anniversary
of the Amenities Society.

Drawing by Clive Wood
Printed by Allison Printers

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us