Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Rushden Echo and Argus, 12th January 1951, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Rushden Urban District Council

Rushden Hall: £1,000 Grant, But –
Stipulated Condition Already Discarded

A new problem faces Rushden Urban Council in connection with the proposed restoration of Rushden Hall, for in offering a grant of £1,000 towards the cost of £4,840, the Ministry of Health stipulates that the house should be used as a community centre – a plan the Council had abandoned.

Read to the council at Wednesday’s meeting, the Minister’s letter was referred to the Parks Committee.

A special report by the Surveyor (Mr. A. Millar) estimated that the restoration of footpaths in 36 streets would cost £32,000. The Highways Committee agreed that a programme of work should be carried out over a number of years. An allowance will be made in the next estimates, and in the meantime £500 now available will be used to start work in Moor Road. The surveyor was authorised to employ displaced persons.

Housing Economy

Economies in repair and maintenance of council houses were agreed to as an alternative to raising rents or the rate contribution. Houses will be painted externally not more than once in six years and decorated at the rate of one room every four years. Tenancy rules regarding negligence or misuse are to be enforced.

Toward the town’s 1951 building allocation of 65 houses, one-fifth of which will be erected by private enterprise, the Council accepted tenders for 24 houses in Upper Queen Street at a cost of £33,259.

Now sanctioned by the Ministry of Health, ten garages, to cost £1,500, will be erected on the Highfield Road Estate.

It was announced that only old Rushden residents will be considered for tenancy of the Wellingborough Road almshouses.

Building Plans

The following plans were approved: House, St. Mary’s Avenue, Mr. H. W. Perkins; bungalow, Fern Road, Mr. W. J. Hardwick; office, 36, Higham Road, Vehicle Hire and Supply Co; change of use to offices, 2a, Newton Road, Provident Club (Rushden) Ltd.; front boundary wall, “The Beeches,” Higham Road, Mr. W. J. A. Peck; change of use to agricultural engineering, farm buildings at Sanders Lodge, Mr. F. J. Williams; alterations to scullery, Belmore Cottage, Wellingborough Road, Mr. J. S. Denton; garage, 2, Talbot Road, Mr. R. Neville; alterations and extension to canteen, Fitzwilliam Street, C. W. Horrell Ltd; pair of semi-detached houses, Park Avenue, Messrs. Hodgkins and Essam; alterations to out-buildings, 33, Queen Street, Mr. F. G. Adams; bungalow, Upper Queen Street, Mr. A. Green.

The Medical Officer of Health (Dr. P. X. Bermingham) reported 12 births and 15 deaths. There were four cases of scarlet fever and four of tuberculosis.

The Finance Committee recorded their appreciation of the new arrangement under which Higham Ferrers Court may deal with cases from Higham, Rushden and Irthlingborough, “which will be for the convenience of local townspeople who have business at the court.”

Long Service

It was announced that the senior member of the Council, Mr. Joseph Allen, had completed 25 years’ service. A resolution of congratulation was adopted and tributes were paid by Councillors Brown, Richardson, Waring, Bailey and Faulkner. Mr. Faulkner recalled that he was an old school pupil of Mr. Allen.

Members in attendance were Councillors F. E. Brown (chairman), C. G. Faulkner (vice-chairman), Mrs. O. B. Lean, E. J. Roe, A. A. Allebone, A. H. Dickens, E. E. Newell, A. H. Bailey, W. J. Keller, J. Allen, W. E. Capon, Mrs. O. A. H. Muxlow, J. H. J. Paragreen, H. Waring, W. J. Sawford, E. A. Sugars and J. T. Richardson.

Mrs. W. O. Rowthorn was absent through indisposition.



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us