Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Rushden Echo and Argus, transcribed by Gill & Jim Hollis
Rushden Urban District Council

15th June 1956

Town Sewers Cause Brook Pollution

Rushden Urban Council had before it on Wednesday a report showing that the heavy pollution of the Spencer Park Brook – announced by the Health Committee last month – is caused in the main by storm overflow from the town sewers.

Mr. A. H. Bailey, who described the disclosure as “not altogether surprising,” said it was clear that emergency measures must be taken, and quickly. The brook had been flushed and would be chlorinated whenever necessary, but that was not enough; children must be prevented from entering it.

It was reported that pollution had been found throughout the course of the brook. Overflowing of the sewers would cease when the proposed pumping station in Duck Street was brought into operation, but other possible sources of pollution were still being investigated.

The Council decided to have the brook fenced through Spencer Park at a cost of £550. There will be new inquires as to the prospect of getting a culverting scheme approved.

Members showed strong resentment when told in a letter from the head postmaster at Wellingborough that from June 25 telegrams for Rushden will be delivered by motor-cycle from Wellingborough.

The reduced use of the service – eight telegrams a day has been the Rushden average – was given as the reason for the change.

Mrs. A. Muxlow described the service as “wretched” and “perfectly disgraceful.” Mr. R. R. Griffiths declared: “Rushden is being pinched down to village status continually.” The chairman (Mr. E. E. Newell) predicted: “There will be an accumulation of telegrams until someone decides to get a move on.”

A resolution of protest was carried, and it was decided to seek the help of Mr. George Lindgren, M.P.

Reporting on a dispute concerning shops built by the Council on the Upper Queen Street estate, Mrs. G. Marriott said the solicitors had at last agreed about the terms of the lease.

Mr. A. H. Bailey complained that the new public conveniences in Newton Road were defaced a day after their opening.

Following a police report, it was decided to warn the driver and owners of a 30cwt van said to have been placed in the Rectory Road car park contrary to the by-laws.

Portland Road

For the Highways Committee, Mr. C. Freeman withdrew a resolution recommending acceptance of a £3,158 tender for making up Portland Road where houses have been demolished at the “bottle-neck.” He said the committee wanted to take another look at the question, because the latest specifications did not tie up with the amount the Ministry had approved. The tender was nearly double the amount originally specified.

A resolution was passed for the making up of Harvey Road under the Private Street Works Act.

Seats are to be provided in the small open space at Spinney Close.

A complaint from a resident about the potential danger to children who play in an old sandpit between Hall Avenue and St. Margaret’s Avenue has been passed on to the police and the owner of the land.


13th July 1956

Telegram Nearly Three Hours On Way, Council Told

Rushden’s new telegram delivery service – by motor cycle from Wellingborough Post Office – has had some interesting results. A telegram from Liverpool took nearly three hours en route; one from Wellingborough came through in 75 minutes.

These revelations were made at Rushden Urban Council’s meeting on Wednesday when it was decided to renew the protest against the scheme and to ask Mr. George Lindgren, M.P., to take up the matter with the Postmaster General a second time.

Members learned of a letter from the Postmaster at Wellingborough explaining that the old arrangements for delivery of telegrams from the Rushden office were most expensive. That it was necessary to provide a delivery service from 8.30 a.m. to 7 p.m., though only about two and a half hours of this time were actually used in the delivery of telegrams.

It was Mr. F. E. Brown who gave details of the Liverpool telegram. Handed in at 1.12 p.m. on June 6 it reached Wellingborough 1.34 p.m., and finished its journey at four o’clock.

‘Slower in Winter’

Mr. R. R. Griffiths owned to the authorship of the Wellingborough telegram and reflected that delivery times would be still slower in the winter when there was fog, snow and ice to contend with. Telegrams, he said were very expensive – 14 times the cost of ordinary letter mail – so he thought there ought to be a little better service.

Mrs. W. M. Lean pleaded for patience, and recalled that telegrams to Rushden averaged only eight per day.

Mrs. A. Muxlow: “One never knows what hardship and trouble is caused by a delay in the delivery of these messages. We must pursue this matter – it is the thin end of the wedge.”

Mr. F. E. Brown commented: “It doesn’t seem beyond the bounds of probability that the person who delivers telegrams could fill in the time with some other work.”

Led by the Finance Committee, the Council refused to accept the Highways Committee proposal to spend £3,158 on improvements at the junction of Rectory Road and Portland Road, where the houses which formed a bottleneck have been cleared.

The Highways Committee came in for much criticism and its chairman Mr. Cyril Freeman; then said he had told his members how they could save £1,300 – by cutting out the proposed small car park and selling the land reserved for it.

An amendment to simplify the scheme and keep the cost within £2,000 was carried by 12 votes to five.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us