Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Early Demolition

March 1900

A long report about a serious fire in two shops at the north end of High Street. One was Mr Buckle's and one was the studio of Samuel Powell, photographer.

The shops were not rebuilt and the ground became a walk-way up to the houses in Beaconsfield Place.

The scene after the fire
An old postcard shows the devastation

 Rushden Echo & Argus, 17th April 1931
demolished c1895/1900
A Bit of Old-Time Rushden
The cottage
Mr and Mrs Packwood
Mr. and Mrs. Packwood
It will need a person with a good memory to recognise in this rare photograph a piece of old Rushden. The thatched cottages, which were pulled down more than 30 years ago, stood near the spot now occupied by the stationmaster’s house, and at the time of the photograph had neither trains nor ’buses to shake their foundations. They were the home of one of Rushden’s oldest families—that of the late Mr. William Packwood, who was one of the best known figures in the town. Portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Packwood are also given.
Extract from Rushden Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions: Grave B 805/6:

In loving memory of William Packwood died Oct 23rd 1894 aged 77 years. Also Phoebe wife of the above died Dec. 31st 1899 aged 76 years. Also of Richard William King grandson died March 16th 1898 aged 24 years. Thy will be done.


Rushden Echo, 3rd October 1919


Some Peeps at Old Rushden
Gone For Ever

A bit of Newton-road, near Ward’s Corner, pulled down some years ago, the site being now occupied by the shops of Mr. F. Atkinson, hairdresser, Mr. Cave, &c.


[Pulled down c1908/9]

Newton Road cottages

These cottages stood at the north of Little Street and the junction with High Street South. We don't know the date of their demolition.

The road was widened and the council surveyor, Mr W B Madin, designed a memorial garden that was laid out in 1908 on the site.

Little Street Cottages

This High Street property, No. 92, is in the throes of demolition. The walls are of stone and the roof was thatched. Materials are stacked in the window opening, ready for loading into the cart and re-use in another building no doubt.

The shop window, at 90 High Street, advertises sweets and tobacco, and in 1891 was kept by Harry Sharpe. It was two doors up from the shop and nursery premises of Mr Seckington.

Harry Sharpe was also a musical instrument maker, but in 1900 he was declared bankrupt.
High Street

Home Close cottages c1910
Rushden Echo & Argus, 18th Nov. 1949

Skinners Hill, Rushden, has changed considerably since it presented this largely rural view, and the present parking place for buses is decidedly less picturesque than were the cottages where Samuel Knight was the principal character. Some features remain, however—the trees bordering Rushden Hall, the Claridge factory (right) and the building on the extreme left.

Note: Skinners Hill is named after the farming family who kept the farm at the top of the hill - now Chan's Dentists. The buildings at the far end of the row of cottages are some farm outbuildings.

The cottages that were demolished
Photo believed to be about 1904
The corner & cottages around the garden
Fred Knight lived in the Old Rectory in Little Street. He was a Justice of the Peace, Captain of the Fire Brigade, a member of the Rushden Urban District Council and of the Baptist Church, and a shoe manufacturer with a factory in Park Road. In 1897 Fred Built a large extension to his house, the part facing the road, somewhat dwarfing the Old Rectory behind. When some stone cottages were demolished opposite his driveway he asked Mr Madin, town surveyor, to draw up plans to put a garden on the site, and this was duly constructed at Mr Knight’s expense. It had an iron railing fence and seats where people would sit and pass the time of day with each other or chat to passers by.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us