|Extract from an article about the 1890 Statement on shoe trade
see: Trade Matters at Rushden
Much interest was evident amongst operatives of Rushden on Monday,.........
The men then held a meeting on the Pikehills,........
Note: This will be the origin of the Pightles Terrace
The Argus 15th April 1898
Is it not time that an effort were made to obtain a systematic numbering of the houses in Rushden?
The work is one which should be undertaken by the local authorities without delay, for a great deal of inconvenience and annoyance is daily experienced in the absence of methodical numbering. We are aware that most of the thoroughfares in the town have sprung up mushroom fashion, and also that it would be difficult to number buildings in streets which are only half built upon, but the Urban Council might well turn their attention to some of the important roads where building operations have been practically completed.
See also Council Meeting December 1898
The Argus 3rd February 1899
The Numbering and Naming of the streets in Rushden, sometime since decided upon by the Urban Council is now complete, to the great convenience of the public generally. The practice of naming rows of houses after the owners for the time-being has been abolished, and the rather objectionable "yard” has been changed to place. For the convenience of our readers we give the old and new names in all cases where any change has been made:-
The row of houses at the Hayway end of the Washbrook-road has been named Ealing-terrace; those on the left hand side of Rushden Hill, Gordon Terrace; the new road leading out of Rectory-road on Mr. Franklin’s estate, Portland Road; and the portion of Queen-street above Cromwell-road, Upper Queen Street.
Extract from Council Meeting February 1899
Street Name Plates
The Surveyor announced that several persons whose names did not transpire had objected to the name plates being affixed to their premises.
The Chairman asked what the position of the Council was.
The Clerk replied that it was the duty of the Council, by Act of Parliament, to cause the houses and buildings in all or any of the streets to be marked with numbers, and also to cause to be put up or printed on a conspicuous part of some house or building at or near each end corner or entrance of every such street the name by which such street was to be known; and, further, that every person who pulled down or defaced any such number or name, or put up any different number or name, was liable to a penalty of 40s. for every such offence; any person who wilfully obstructed any officer of the local authority or any person duly employed by the authority was liable to penalty of £5.
|Extracted from Memories of JEM
I have, in the course of this narrative, mentioned certain alterations to street names, such as Cave's-row (North-street). This was because the Parish Council, whose main object seemed to be to keep down the rates, suddenly decided to become very "posh" and re-named certain properties. Thus Duck-street became Duke-street, Denton's-row, or Cottages, became Woburn-place, Green's-yard became Albion-place, and Drawbridge's-yard became Succoth-place.
|This note by Joseph Enos Smith is from one of his note books.
Roads about Rushden
From Knuston Spinney to the Oakley Cross Roads in 1827 was Higham Lane.
From the Oakley to Rushden Lodge - Wellingborough Road the lodge in 1827 was called Hill’s Hovels.
The Road from Sanders’ Lodge to Hayway goes over Skew Bridge & Sidney Brook .
The road from Kimbolton road (near Mr John Mason’s) to Rushden is Hayway.
The old Rushden Hill was called Spittal Hill in 1827 and Bencroft Hill in 1777/8 Rushden Award Map.
Smith’s Farm is mentioned at the foot of Rushden Hill it may have meant Mason’s old farm near the Victoria Hotel.